Nuggets & D-League

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Nuggets & D-League 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 pm

With all of our youth and even some of our draft-n-stash, would it make sense for Denver to have their own D-League team?

There are currently 22 D-League teams and each one is either owned by an NBA team or has an official affiliated status with an NBA team. So if the Nuggets were to assign a player to the D-League, they would have virtually no control over that player's playing time nor how he is being used in terms of position or style of play - even techniques he is being taught.

If the Nuggets assisted someone in building a team that they became affiliated with, they would have some say in the operation of the team. However, if the Nuggets owned their own D-League team, they would have total control. They could choose the coaching staff and ensure that the same offensive and defensive systems and terminology are used. They could also control the number of minutes players receive.

Owning a D-League team would seem to allow the Nuggets to let their rookies or seldom used players have an extra year or two to develop while playing instead of just practicing.

All of that sounds good, but does it make a big difference in how a team is being run and how effective it is?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: Nuggets & D-League 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 am

Denver has always tried to keep expense low, so utilizing the Euro leagues as their D-League has made some sense.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Denver has always tried to keep expense low, so utilizing the Euro leagues as their D-League has made some sense.

Yeah and it's worked, sort of - not sure how it would work better with an actual D-League team except they could have players closer and bring them up for 10 day contracts and such.

I was trying to figure out a way to sign Beasley (and others) and let him play but I think the D-League salary structure would make him run overseas.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#4 » by Coeur » Sun Aug 7, 2016 4:41 am

The D league doesn't really help an NBA team out that much. You don't have rights to those players unless they are on your 15 man NBA roster. It's not a true minor league. If they allowed teams to control the fate of their entire d league roster then yes the Nugs should and would have a team. But because every team in the NBA has an equal chance at 90whatever % of the players you don't need "your own" d league franchise.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

NBADL 

Post#5 » by MidMountain » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm

The Nugget's roster is packed and there may not be much playing time for rookies Jauncho and Beasley. I know the Nuggets are one of the teams without a 1:1 affiliation with a NBADL team. Do we have a relationship with any of the other teams? Would we be able to assign a player if we wanted, and which team would that be?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: NBADL 

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:59 pm

MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#7 » by MidMountain » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:59 pm

It looks like we share affiliation with the following:

Iowa Energy (Chicago Bulls, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, Washington Wizards)
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:24 pm

MidMountain wrote:It looks like we share affiliation with the following:

Iowa Energy (Chicago Bulls, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, Washington Wizards)

I predict that within the next 3-5 years, the NBA will have a full-on D-League with teams having their own D-League team where they could easily move players between D-League & NBA (with restrictions on numbers and so forth of course).
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#9 » by Coeur » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:45 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

I predict that within the next 3-5 years, the NBA will have a full-on D-League with teams having their own D-League team where they could easily move players between D-League & NBA (with restrictions on numbers and so forth of course).

Why? What makes you believe that? The nba's role model is the NFL. The NFL doesn't want a minor league- why would the NBA?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Coeur wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Why? What makes you believe that? The nba's role model is the NFL. The NFL doesn't want a minor league- why would the NBA?

Why do I believe that?
1) Almost every NBA team has their own D-League team already.
2) NBA teams are using D-League call-ups more often than they used too.
3) NBA teams tend to have more talent at the end of their bench than they used too.
4) NBA teams are stashing more players overseas than they used too.
5) The NBA's role model is NOT the NFL. The NFL has a hard-cap; the NBA's salary cap is somewhat of a joke. In the NFL the typical contract allows the player to be cut every year (except for a handful of superstars) while NBA contracts are typically multi-year guaranteed for more than half the team. The NFL promotes team-loyalty and the NBA promotes their stars. The NFL, like the NHL, uses almost every player on the team in every game. Baseball & Basketball tend to use around 2/3 to 3/4 of their players in most games. Each of the major sports is similar to the others in some respects and different in other respects. The NBA has understood that.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#11 » by RRFB » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:29 pm

College basketball is the NBA's "minor league". Until something crazy happens with the NCAA and top rated high schoolers start seriously considering other options, I don't see the D-league ever being a viable farm system like the MLB and NHL have. The NBA talent pool is way too small to justify each team having their own feeder team. D-league call-ups mainly happen for players on the bubble and only after the 10-day contract window opens up. Legitimate NBA talent is ready to contribute to their team straight out of college. If D-league franchises can be profitable in small towns, great, let each NBA team have their own affiliate, but calling it a "developmental league" feels like a stretch to me.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:20 am

Wouldn't it be nice to have a D-league team about now? At least Hernangomez and Beasley could get some playing time. Kinda' frustrating to pickup Gee because Harris & Barton were out and now he's playing SF instead of Hernangomez.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:41 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have a D-league team about now? At least Hernangomez and Beasley could get some playing time. Kinda' frustrating to pickup Gee because Harris & Barton were out and now he's playing SF instead of Hernangomez.

:banghead: :crazy: <sigh>
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Article about Beasley being sent to the D-league --- to the Miami Heat affiliate. He includes a statement about how Beasley should/might get 20 mpg but won't be running Nuggets' sets or using Nuggets' lingo. Sure would be nice if the Nuggets actually get their own D-league affiliate. Maybe then Beasley would have been more likely to be sent down and thus get some serious playing time, maybe even more than 20 mpg.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2016/12/9/13904744/malik-beasley-is-headed-to-the-d-league-chris-reichert-is-here-to-tell-us-what-that-means
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Article about Beasley being sent to the D-league --- to the Miami Heat affiliate. He includes a statement about how Beasley should/might get 20 mpg but won't be running Nuggets' sets or using Nuggets' lingo. Sure would be nice if the Nuggets actually get their own D-league affiliate. Maybe then Beasley would have been more likely to be sent down and thus get some serious playing time, maybe even more than 20 mpg.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2016/12/9/13904744/malik-beasley-is-headed-to-the-d-league-chris-reichert-is-here-to-tell-us-what-that-means

You mean Beasley may have a chance to play in an actual NBA offense, I am surprised Malone and Finch will let that happen.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

New CBA includes 17 players - with the last two being "two-way players" meaning they can go back and forth to the D-league. Think the Nuggets will buy a team now?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:40 am

Anybody else wondering why Beasley and Hernangomez are with the Nuggets instead of playing on a D-league team?
If we had our own D-league team, would they be more likely to get some playing time?
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#18 » by psimanic1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 am

I wouldn't mind RJ Hunter instead of Gee, atleast for D-League in this season, i think he can become nice shooter of the bench still...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:52 pm

psimanic1 wrote:I wouldn't mind RJ Hunter instead of Gee, atleast for D-League in this season, i think he can become nice shooter of the bench still...

Interesting choice, sorta' like him but we already have four SGs plus Gee, whatever he is. :wink: So even if we drop Gee, I think a third center would be more valuable than Hunter.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#20 » by psimanic1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Well my guess is we wont trade Nurkic only, maybe Barton with him...And I think Hunter could become what Barton became when he came from POR, and he can play some SF, and I think we will get C from that trade..

Return to Denver Nuggets