ImageImageImage

DEN trades Joffery to OKC

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

DEN trades Joffery to OKC 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Denver appears to have traded Joffrey Lauvergne to OKC for 2 future 2nd round picks. Don't think this is terrible value as I couldn't see Joff getting a lot of playing time, does open some minutes for Juancho as well. Originally selected with the 55th pick in the draft, I'd say it's a decent return, depends on where they land and what they do with them

Guess this also means Jokic and Nurkic are splitting most of the mins at center
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Re: DEN trades Joffery to OKC 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:28 pm

I wonder if this opens a roster spot for Noel Nerlens ??? Just speculation on my part but could make sense.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#3 » by psimanic1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Or many some other trade where we get one more player in return.
Don't think we would trade Lauvergne just like that, if we don't need that space for something else..
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#4 » by Old Man Game » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Hey guys, OKC fan here, what's the book on Joffrey? I've seen him play just a bit and don't remember him much. Is he any good?
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,248

Post#5 » by RRFB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I would have thought Joffrey had slightly more value than this, but I'm okay with it for a few reasons. Obviously it'll open up playing time for Juancho but it also loosens Nurkic's leash. Anytime Nurk had a rough stretch, Malone would bench him for Joffrey. And looking ahead, I had already assumed they weren't going to re-sign Joffrey next summer. The extra roster spot also gives them extra flexibility for a mid-season trade like last season.
psimanic1
Starter

Post#6 » by psimanic1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Hey guys, OKC fan here, what's the book on Joffrey? I've seen him play just a bit and don't remember him much. Is he any good?

Nice backup big, can even make some 3pters..
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#7 » by Riko » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:03 pm

psimanic1 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Hey guys, OKC fan here, what's the book on Joffrey? I've seen him play just a bit and don't remember him much. Is he any good?

Good player overall and surely he is worthed more than 2 second round pick.
psimanic1
Starter

Post#8 » by psimanic1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Maybe we had to make quick roster space trade, so we traded him...Maybe we will hear about some other trade too, soon..
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: DEN trades Joffery to OKC 

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Riko wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:

Good player overall and surely he is worthed more than 2 second round pick.

Sounds pretty good. From my perspective I don't feel like we gave up much. Especially since Presti has a deplorable record when it comes to drafting in the second round.
RRFB
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by RRFB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:31 pm

He's a good hustle player but that's about it. Not a prototypical stretch 4, but he can space the floor a bit. Decent out of the pick n' roll. Terrible defensive awareness.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Did not see that one coming. I know the Nuggets need to rebalance the roster but Joffery played well enough to add depth. He will likely play well for OKC.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#12 » by Coeur » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:17 pm

Not enough value. But as mentioned maybe there was another reason (trade coming). And there's how good they are at drafting. And finally "maybe" if he doesn't play this year w the Nugs his value drops below there even
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Old Man Game » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 pm

RRFB wrote:

He's a good hustle player but that's about it. Not a prototypical stretch 4, but he can space the floor a bit. Decent out of the pick n' roll. Terrible defensive awareness.

So a glorified garbage man?
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#14 » by TunaFish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Don't underestimate his ability to hit a shot, a lost art for many big men. It is his defense that needs upgrading and with time, he could be a rotation level player.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Agree with others Joffrey is a solid prospect that needs to improve defense but a good rebounder and good on offense for a guy who projects as a likely 3rd big in his prime.

As for another trade down the line, I doubt it, last I checked they had to many contracts and too many bigs, this clears up room for Juancho.
RRFB
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by RRFB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
RRFB wrote:

I'd say he's good for 10-15 minutes of hustle and energy off the bench, but probably not someone you want to rely on past that. The other thing is, he's already 24 years old, so it's not like he's full of untapped potential. He didn't show a ton of improvement between his first and second seasons. I think he is who he is at this point. Calling him a prospect is a bit of stretch, imo.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:00 pm

RRFB wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
RRFB wrote:He's a good hustle player but that's about it. Not a prototypical stretch 4, but he can space the floor a bit. Decent out of the pick n' roll. Terrible defensive awareness.

I'd say he's good for 10-15 minutes of hustle and energy off the bench, but probably not someone you want to rely on past that. The other thing is, he's already 24 years old, so it's not like he's full of untapped potential. He didn't show a ton of improvement between his first and second seasons. I think he is who he is at this point. Calling him a prospect is a bit of stretch, imo.

Well said, RRFB; as others have indicated, I'd say Lauvergne is a great 3rd string center. He's not a true center, but he can spend some time there in case of injury. I'd say Lauvergne is a great 3rd string PF. He's not a true PF, but he can spend some time there (a little better than center). Not a great defender, but not terrible; good hustle player, great team-player, above average stretch shooter but not great. Just in general a nice guy to have on the team. I think he's a great fit for OKC's team as it is constituted today.

Plus, Denver has had a great deal of success with second round draft pics, so who knows ...?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I wonder if this opens a roster spot for Noel Nerlens ??? Just speculation on my part but could make sense.

An excellent question, not just for Nerlens but in general. This leaves Denver one injury away from having only one center with no PFs that would fit at center. Are they planning on another trade? Cornelie has a couple of years left on his contract and it seems very unlikely they'd bring in a fourth rookie anyway. Trade seems a little puzzling for now, but there's still plenty of time before training camp.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#19 » by U hova » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:12 pm

I feel like TC does better with the later picks so 2 seconds isn't that sour, but if given the choice I wanted to keep Lauvergne over the other 2 pfs
MrBaynes
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,863

Post#20 » by MrBaynes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:14 pm

I am going to assume this is to open up a roster spot, possibly for a trade. I don't like the value much at all even with our track record of 2nd round picks. It's not a huge loss by any stretch, but I would have thought Joffrey would be used as a piece in a more valuable trade or brought in more by himself.

Return to Denver Nuggets