ImageImageImage

Is Michael Malone the right coach for this team?

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Is Michael Malone the right coach for this team? 

Post#21 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:03 am

eathb_au wrote:As it stands Shaw currently has a better win% than Malone. And then you consider that Malone has better players and there are no reported locker room issues, it does leave a red flag.

The big issue with comparing Shaw and Malone's record is that there was much more experience on those Shaw teams, and despite his best efforts Lawson and company would ignore Shaw and run like they used to with Karl. With Malone the players are listening, the issue is that the offensive system and rotations suck.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:10 am

skywalker33 wrote:So who are the hot coaching names out there, college or assistants names welcome ?

I will throw the name of Melvin Hunt out there, he has the resume and experience, although he may not be willing to take the job.

Other than that I would look for someone with some kind of history with the Princeton offense as I truly think we need an offense similar to that to develop the talent the right way.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#23 » by Powder Blue » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:41 pm

The Rebel wrote:
eathb_au wrote:As it stands Shaw currently has a better win% than Malone. And then you consider that Malone has better players and there are no reported locker room issues, it does leave a red flag.

The big issue with comparing Shaw and Malone's record is that there was much more experience on those Shaw teams, and despite his best efforts Lawson and company would ignore Shaw and run like they used to with Karl. With Malone the players are listening, the issue is that the offensive system and rotations suck.

If the system and rotation sucks what value are the players getting by listening? I think Malone is in a tough spot, The marginal vets are all used to playing time and would become distractions if they have to sit...at the same time he's got these young guys on the roster that need time to develop....plus for whatever reason the modern-day Denver Nuggets can't stay healthy.

I'll say it again that I think Chauncey Billups needs to be a part of this organization. IDK if it's in the capacity of coach or front office but I really think he would add value...plus what do they have to lose at this point? He might not be what Elway is to the Broncos but he'd bring instant respect and notoriety to an organization that lacks both currently.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:31 pm

Powder Blue wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

If the system and rotation sucks what value are the players getting by listening? I think Malone is in a tough spot, The marginal vets are all used to playing time and would become distractions if they have to sit...at the same time he's got these young guys on the roster that need time to develop....plus for whatever reason the modern-day Denver Nuggets can't stay healthy.

I'll say it again that I think Chauncey Billups needs to be a part of this organization. IDK if it's in the capacity of coach or front office but I really think he would add value...plus what do they have to lose at this point? He might not be what Elway is to the Broncos but he'd bring instant respect and notoriety to an organization that lacks both currently.

I did not mention the system and rotation sucking as them getting value, I mentioned it to show that Malone has not lost the team and had their talent rise above the **** coaching. I will agree that the vets seem to be a problem, I really think that Nelson and Gallo need to be moved by the trade deadline. The problem is that the team really only needs a young SF or a superstar.

I heard a while back that the current front office does not believe in a player being injury prone, the believe every injury is a freak occurrence, which seems plausible considering the way they keep bringing back injury prone guys.

I would agree that Billups should be part of the organization, but I do not think he wants to be anything less than an assistant GM and I do not know that the team will even consider putting him that high.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 6:42 pm

Powder Blue wrote:I think Malone is in a tough spot, The marginal vets are all used to playing time and would become distractions if they have to sit...at the same time he's got these young guys on the roster that need time to develop....plus for whatever reason the modern-day Denver Nuggets can't stay healthy.

Nailed it !! Perfect reasoning to trade Gallo and Nelson. Chandler seems to have more of the team mindset than Gallo (who loves his iso play) and Murray would easily replace Nelson while opening up more developmental time for Beasley while Harris is out.

Powder Blue wrote:I'll say it again that I think Chauncey Billups needs to be a part of this organization. IDK if it's in the capacity of coach or front office but I really think he would add value...plus what do they have to lose at this point? He might not be what Elway is to the Broncos but he'd bring instant respect and notoriety to an organization that lacks both currently.

The Rebel wrote:I would agree that Billups should be part of the organization, but I do not think he wants to be anything less than an assistant GM and I do not know that the team will even consider putting him that high.

I agree with bringing Billups into the fold, but I believe he'd better serve the organization in a coaching capacity dealing directly with the players. He doesn't have any experience with FO matters, but could/should be groomed as he learns more about the way this FO works.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#26 » by eathb_au » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:14 am

I question if Malone will make it through this season if he keeps this up.

He needs to start embracing the rebuild soon. Let the kids play. There is no benefit for short or long term to try and win games on the backs of the current veterans.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#27 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:18 am

Has any NBA team ever truly implemented the Princeton Offense? It seems like the best they can do is a modified version because it just requires too much motion and constant energy, so NBA players tend to stop moving throughout the game.

I think back to the Pistons with Hamilton & Prince - that was lots of motion, but mostly just those two players. Players like Reggie Miller moved a lot but usually it was just one man. There have been others.

I've always been convinced that a focus on motion was the right focus for Mile High. With the depth of the Nuggets, why not do constant player changes? Four or five minutes and someone else takes over? Constant energy and motion. Full court harassment, if not pressing on defense and constant motion on offense. It would be the most remarkable home court advantage and it might work on the road.

This approach won't work if a team is dependent on two or three superstars but the Nuggets don't have superstars. They are at least two deep at every position and the backup is pretty close to as good as the starter. It would take some serious adjustments in thinking by the players.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:51 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Has any NBA team ever truly implemented the Princeton Offense? It seems like the best they can do is a modified version because it just requires too much motion and constant energy, so NBA players tend to stop moving throughout the game.

I think back to the Pistons with Hamilton & Prince - that was lots of motion, but mostly just those two players. Players like Reggie Miller moved a lot but usually it was just one man. There have been others.

I've always been convinced that a focus on motion was the right focus for Mile High. With the depth of the Nuggets, why not do constant player changes? Four or five minutes and someone else takes over? Constant energy and motion. Full court harassment, if not pressing on defense and constant motion on offense. It would be the most remarkable home court advantage and it might work on the road.

This approach won't work if a team is dependent on two or three superstars but the Nuggets don't have superstars. They are at least two deep at every position and the backup is pretty close to as good as the starter. It would take some serious adjustments in thinking by the players.

The closest I have seen to the Princeton offense was the Kings offense with Divac, Webber, and company, while the constant movement may be an issue, really the biggest issue with the Princeton offense is that you need bigs that are good and willing passers. Those are rare in the NBA and we have 3 of them. Reality is Mudiay is a decent spot up shooter outside and can run the break when it opens up, Murray could thrive in that system, Chandler is actually a perfect fit at the 3 for it, and our young bigs would explode.

I do not know about constantly changing players in the rotation, the biggest issue with it is for many players it takes them a few minutes to get going. Those last couple of years under Karl I think the team had the right idea, in that they were in great shape and constantly running and passing, I am not a huge fan of the drive and kick offense, but it was worlds better than what we have now.

Personally I think it is time to clear out Gallo, Nelson, and anybody else who does not want to give max effort all the time, and start working on some type of movement based offense. Let the young guys grow learning to play with constant movement and hustle being the primary reasons for minutes.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#29 » by Powder Blue » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:34 pm

I find it hard to believe that both Brian Shaw and Michael Malone are bad coaches. At some point maybe the players have to change too before dumping the coach.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by The Rebel » Fri Dec 9, 2016 5:29 pm

Powder Blue wrote:I find it hard to believe that both Brian Shaw and Michael Malone are bad coaches. At some point maybe the players have to change too before dumping the coach.

I don't, watching the games it is pretty obvious that Malone is not a good in game coach, his rotations make no sense, and he does not seem to be able to get the players to buy in to the systems. Shaw had similar problems but was terrible in the locker room as well.

That being said I think some of the players are also a problem. IT seems to me that Gallo, Nelson, Faried, and possibly Nurkic and Mudiay have either quit or are only giving effort in certain areas of the game that show in their stats. IT was eye opening the other night when Malone got kicked out and suddenly effort was not a problem.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#31 » by Powder Blue » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:34 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:I find it hard to believe that both Brian Shaw and Michael Malone are bad coaches. At some point maybe the players have to change too before dumping the coach.

I don't, watching the games it is pretty obvious that Malone is not a good in game coach, his rotations make no sense, and he does not seem to be able to get the players to buy in to the systems. Shaw had similar problems but was terrible in the locker room as well.

That being said I think some of the players are also a problem. IT seems to me that Gallo, Nelson, Faried, and possibly Nurkic and Mudiay have either quit or are only giving effort in certain areas of the game that show in their stats. IT was eye opening the other night when Malone got kicked out and suddenly effort was not a problem.

I looked and Shaw was fired March 4th, I can't see the Nuggets giving Malone less time than they gave Shaw. Dumping another coach is a pretty big admittance the front office is botching things...and that's not good given TC was signed to a multi-year extension.

Malone signed a 4 year deal with a team option year 4 so the Nuggets would be on the hook for one year's salary.

I think you move some players before you can Malone...and if you can Malone go get Billups, idc that he's not "experienced".
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#32 » by 12footrim » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm an outsider. What he's done with Jokic this year is pretty bad. That's the player with the most potiental on your entire roster and the one you dick around with the least and should put in the best positions to be successful #1 no matter who else it screws. Thankfully he now seems to be getting some confidence back. The one guy you should be starting and playing 30 minutes a game at his best position and he couldn't even get it right.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm

12footrim wrote:I'm an outsider. What he's done with Jokic this year is pretty bad. That's the player with the most potiental on your entire roster and the one you dick around with the least and should put in the best positions to be successful #1 no matter who else it screws. Thankfully he now seems to be getting some confidence back. The one guy you should be starting and playing 30 minutes a game at his best position and he couldn't even get it right.

I would say that Murray and Nurkic both have arguments for the most potential on the team, all 3 should be playing more minutes especially in a wasted season as this is starting to appear to be. The fact of the matter is that Malone had no intention of making the Jokic/ Nurkic lineup work, as is obvious from his ditching it so quickly and them not even trying to design any type of offense around the lineup.

I am starting to question just how smart Malone is, it is getting pretty obvious that he does not know how to put guys into a position to succeed, or they are not listening to him, either way is a huge issue.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#34 » by Mac1958 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I'd like to see what Malone could do with a more traditional roster, i.e., at least one or two Alpha Dogs. The talent on this roster is spread out so evenly that I can imagine finding the right combinations can be difficult.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#35 » by MidMountain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:57 pm

The way to assess a coach in Malone's position is based upon the growth of the team throughout the season. If the team starts playing significantly better as the season goes on, he has done his job correctly.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by 12footrim » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 pm

The Rebel wrote:
12footrim wrote:I'm an outsider. What he's done with Jokic this year is pretty bad. That's the player with the most potiental on your entire roster and the one you dick around with the least and should put in the best positions to be successful #1 no matter who else it screws. Thankfully he now seems to be getting some confidence back. The one guy you should be starting and playing 30 minutes a game at his best position and he couldn't even get it right.

I would say that Murray and Nurkic both have arguments for the most potential on the team, all 3 should be playing more minutes especially in a wasted season as this is starting to appear to be. The fact of the matter is that Malone had no intention of making the Jokic/ Nurkic lineup work, as is obvious from his ditching it so quickly and them not even trying to design any type of offense around the lineup.

I am starting to question just how smart Malone is, it is getting pretty obvious that he does not know how to put guys into a position to succeed, or they are not listening to him, either way is a huge issue.

Yeah, I don't think people really understand how awesome this guy was last year. He's clearly got his mojo back now too after Malone screwed with him at PF. Idiot said he gave him to many minutes last night too when he was the only guy doing anything and doing it Huge. 27points 10 rebounds in 26 minutes :lol:

Jokic's rookie year

#9th highest Real Plus Minus in the NBA (#1 center by a mile, #2 post player behind Draymond)
#24th highest PER in the NBA

9th highest +/- of any rookie in NBA history.
14th highest rookie PER in the 3point shot era (40 years)

The rookie seasons ahead of him were usually older guys that included guys

Jordan
David Robinson (24 years old)
Sabonis (31 year old)
Bird (23 year old)
etc

He had on of the best statistical rookie seasons ever and as a 20 year old and you think Mundaiy has more potential. No way. What are you looking at he probably had one of the worst rookie years. Nurkic can't even hit a 5 footer. Jokic is incredibly skilled and while he may look slow he had one of the best defensive RPM's in the league because he's so smart and knows where to be. He also has a huge standing reach.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by 12footrim » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:07 pm

The last 10 games Jokic is at

14/9/4 on 62% and 86% from the line in only 25 minutes per game.

That's with an injury mixed in too. He played him like 10 minutes in the first half last night and he was killing it and had the best +/-. They way he subs him in yeah he's playing some against back ups but he has to play all his minutes consecutively with no rest or less than he could have usually too not starting him. It's really a poor use of a 21 year old talent like this IMO. I get he ruined his confidence and he needed to get it back but it's been back for almost 15 games now is the time you start building as the center piece around him. Should have came into the year doing that but need to start now anyway.

I really think the guy has the potiental to be a top 5-10 statistical player. He will probably always get disrespected because he doesn't look the part athletically or come with the draft lottery pedigree but I'd rather have him than Porzingas I think. Probably one of the top 5 to 10 players under 25 in the league IMO to start a franchise around.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:58 pm

So, how long does it take for a coach to implement his system, is it the same amount of time before the players buy in ? If the players refuse to buy in, does that make him a bad coach ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by 12footrim » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So, how long does it take for a coach to implement his system, is it the same amount of time before the players buy in ? If the players refuse to buy in, does that make him a bad coach ??

Half the problem is Malone has all these solid rotation level players he has to try to placate. The best thing the front office could do is move some of them, especially not on the timeline of the young guys. I think they should do it even if they don't get dollar for dollar value on them I think you need your core players to start playing around that can actually build some chemistry in your system and establishing and getting comfortable in their roles the next 2 or 3 years.

Was there really a need to sign Arthur for 8 million a year or Nelson at 5 when you got so much depth you don't have minutes for anyway for everyone you needed and play anyway. They average 40 combined minutes right now.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#40 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Malone is a bad coach. They looked ten times better after he was ejected in Brooklyn. I know you don't want to be a coaching carousel, but damnit, this dude sucks. Go get Ettore Messina or Ime Udoka.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to Denver Nuggets