ImageImageImage

Can the Nugs trade Kleiza?

Moderator: THE J0KER

basketbob
Junior
And1: 42

Can the Nugs trade Kleiza? 

Post#1 » by basketbob » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:09 am

... or more specifically, the right to match any NBA offer he gets? If so, is there a cap number that goes with him? Anybody know what that is, if there is one? I know he's not worth much, but throwing his rights in might be better for some teams than, say a 2nd rd pick.
More free is better
J Smitty
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Can the Nugs trade Kleiza? 

Post#2 » by J Smitty » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:56 am

Pretty much. The Nuggets can include his rights in a deal similar to the way teams are able to trade unsigned draft picks. I don't think it's really all that valuable of an asset to have, and I doubt any team trades for the "ability" to sign him straight up. But like you say, in a bigger deal, it's probably a better throw in then a second rounder.

Although if/when he does decide to come back, he still has to go through Denver to do so, since we can still match any offer sheet he signs. That keeps in play the s&t options down the road.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#3 » by Three34 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:11 pm

The Nuggets can include his rights in a deal similar to the way teams are able to trade unsigned draft picks.

No they can't.

Kleiza can be signed and traded (if he's not under contract somewhere, that is), and the Nuggets can match any offer sheet he gets as he's still a RFA. But they can't trade his Bird rights. You can't trade anyone's Bird rights. Never could.
basketbob
Junior
And1: 42

Post#4 » by basketbob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:18 am

Thanks JSmitty, Sham.

Sham, is the Nugs' right to match an offer to him (part of) what you're calling his Bird rights?
And does that mean 'he' can't be traded until he could be signed (i.e. one or two summers from now, or whenever he's free of his obligation in Greece, a la Krstic)?
More free is better
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#5 » by killbuckner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Bird rights means that the Nuggets can exceed the salary cap in order to resign him. The Nuggets right to match an offer is because Kleiza is a restricted free agent.

In order for the Nuggets to trade Kleiza it would have to be as a sign and trade. And right- he cannot be part of a sign and trade while he still has a valid contract overseas. Often players have buyouts in their deals when they sign in europe but I am not sure if Kleiza does or not.

Return to Denver Nuggets