Mets ripped by NY hosts for missing game on birth of Child

Moderator: TyCobb

Xpressure
Sophomore
And1: 90

Mets ripped by NY hosts for missing game on birth of Child 

Post#1 » by Xpressure » Thu Apr 3, 2014 5:42 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 32615.html

New York Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy is missing his team's first three games after the birth of his first child. Murphy's wife went into labor on opening day, so he went to Florida to be present for the birth. Murphy is now taking the full three days of paternity leave allowed for Major League Baseball players.

However, Murphy is getting ripped on New York radio for not cutting short his paternity leave and returning to his team. Mike Francesa, the popular New York sports radio personality, spent about 20 minutes of his show Wednesday talking about Murphy and paternity leave. He was surprised that MLB players even take paternity leave, even though it's a fairly common practice.

"Go see the baby be born and come back," said Francesa. "You're a Major League Baseball player, you can hire a nurse to take care of the baby if your wife needs help ... What are you gonna do? Are you gonna sit there and look at your wife in the hospital bed for two days?"

Francesa wasn't alone in criticizing Murphy. Radio hosts Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason (yes, the former NFL quarterback) also chimed in with a similar refrain. Carton, specifically, didn't mince words:

"You get your ass back to your team and you play baseball … there's nothing you can do, you're not breastfeeding the kid."

Esiason, meanwhile, said if it were him, he would have told his wife to have a Caesarean section surgery before the season to avoid any conflict with opening day. Esiason said baseball is what make Murphy's money and provides for his family, so it should be prioritized.

Wow..... especially Boomer Esaison's comments.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Re: Mets ripped by NY hosts for missing game on birth of Chi 

Post#2 » by Pharmcat » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:50 pm

this is BS

bunch of radio airbags trying to get ratings, the media running with it to get more hits

this is a personal decision, and the parents should be able to do what you want

boomer esiason should read the risks of surgery before saying to do C section, he isnt qualified (nor am I) to make that statement
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#3 » by ATL Boy » Fri Apr 4, 2014 12:17 am

1) It's stated in the collective bargaining agreement that a player is allowed to go on 3 days paternity leave.

2) It's just the first two games in a 162 game sport which he's missing, Murphy only missed one game all of last year, he's an iron man.

3) I consider Esiason a clown because of the fact that he'd have the nerve to tell Murphy that he should've convinced his wife to have a C Section just so he can play during opening day (again, 162 game schedule). It would be an incredibly unnecessary risk.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#4 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:01 am

I'm pretty shocked from the Boomer comments as I thought he was kidding at first due to that it was so over the top. He should honestly be ashamed of himself to suggest the c section crap. This is a non story if this happens in June.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#5 » by Higga » Mon Apr 7, 2014 3:34 pm

If I played for the Mets I'd rather watch my wife give birth than play too.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#6 » by Lionlifer » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:42 pm

Guess Boomer is more of a clown than I realized.

I don't know how this is a rational though. "I'm going to cut you open and have the kid pulled out early so that I don't miss 2 or 3 out of 162 games"
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#7 » by HeartBreaking » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:17 am

I agree with the article, you could probably text your wife while you're playing anyways, maybe even have her on face time while you're playing
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.

Return to The General MLB Board