Oakland A's Robbed Peter To Pay Paul By Trading Cespedes

Moderator: TyCobb

Disabled Sports
Junior
And1: 711

Oakland A's Robbed Peter To Pay Paul By Trading Cespedes 

Post#1 » by Disabled Sports » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Disclaimer: I have a disability called Cerebral Palsy so it may be hard to understand me
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFBIsnMKC5Y[/youtube]
Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,003

Re: Oakland A's Robbed Peter To Pay Paul By Trading Cespedes 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm

This trade makes me very happy as an A's fan.
I just hope he gets extended.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#3 » by Da Schwab » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

HMFFL wrote:This trade makes me very happy as an A's fan.

I can't see Lester staying in Oakland past this season. It would honestly make all the sense in the world for him to serve the rental role for them down the stretch, get his check, and then make his way back to re-sign with the Red Sox during the winter.

I still don't understand the deal from the A's standpoint, really.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#4 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Da Schwab wrote:

I can't see Lester staying in Oakland past this season. It would honestly make all the sense in the world for him to serve the rental role for them down the stretch, get his check, and then make his way back to re-sign with the Red Sox during the winter.

From the A's standpoint, they save $10.5 million next season by trading away Yoenis Cespedes and can use that money on giving Josh Donaldson a new contract. It hurts to see Yoenis Cespedes leave, but the A's got a really good starting left-handed pitcher for 3 months. A starting trio of LHP-Scott Kazmir, LHP-Jon Lester, and RHP-Sonny Gray is pretty good to win the AL West and the World Series.

What I don't like is the trade between the A's and Cubs because the Cubs got a really good 5 tool SS prospect in Addison Russell and the A's got a hot garbage starting pitcher in Jason Hammel and a average, mediocre starting pitcher in Jeff Samardzija. I wish that trade never happen so that the A's would have kept their very talented young SS in Addison Russell and kept Tommy Milone in the starting rotation.

#1: LHP-Scott Kazmir
#2: LHP-Jon Lester
#3: RHP-Sonny Gray
#4: RHP-Jesse Chavez
#5: LHP-Tommy Milone
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#5 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:55 am

RoyalMajesty wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:

From the A's standpoint, they save $10.5 million next season by trading away Yoenis Cespedes and can use that money on giving Josh Donaldson a new contract. It hurts to see Yoenis Cespedes leave, but the A's got a really good starting left-handed pitcher for 3 months. A starting trio of LHP-Scott Kazmir, LHP-Jon Lester, and RHP-Sonny Gray is pretty good to win the AL West and the World Series.

What I don't like is the trade between the A's and Cubs because the Cubs got a really good 5 tool SS prospect in Addison Russell and the A's got a hot garbage starting pitcher in Jason Hammel and a average, mediocre starting pitcher in Jeff Samardzija. I wish that trade never happen so that the A's would have kept their very talented young SS in Addison Russell and kept Tommy Milone in the starting rotation.

They basically gave Milone away.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#6 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri Aug 1, 2014 10:50 am

TheKingofSting wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:

They basically gave Milone away.

Pretty much. Milone can be a quality #4 or #5 starter for any MLB team if he's in rhythm and is on his game. The A's pretty much traded him away for a OF in Sam Fuld who can play all three OF positions especially at CF because Cocco Crisp is out right now with a neck injury and Craig Gentry is out right now with a right hand injury. The only A's player that can play CF is Josh Reddick and he just got back from the disabled list. The A's don't want to rush Josh Reddick, but rather, taking it slowly with Josh Reddick and let him ease back in with the flow.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#7 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Can any of you guys show me any stats showing that Cespedes is better offensively than the platoon they have replaced him with? I mean career numbers, not the 2 week "struggle" they've been on since dealing him.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#8 » by old rem » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 am

Da Schwab wrote:

I was quite surprised at the A's doing it. They had pitchers...Lester is gonna be beyond their budget. Cespides..hasn't even peaked.
CENSORED... No comment.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#9 » by RoyalMajesty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 pm

old rem wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:

I was quite surprised at the A's doing it. They had pitchers...Lester is gonna be beyond their budget. Cespides..hasn't even peaked.

The A's are definitely hurting when it comes to their hitting. Maybe the A's should have traded Brandon Moss + a prospect for Jon Lester instead of Yoenis Cespedes

OR

the A's should have traded a highly regarded prospect Addison Russell for Jon Lester instead of trading Addison Russell for a average pitcher in Jeff Samardzija and a horrible pitcher in Jason Hammel. Billy Beane ruined what was a already good team and their chemistry :nonono:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#10 » by DirtyDez » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:58 pm

old rem wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:

Cespedes peaked his rookie year. Pitchers just realized he has no plate discipline.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#11 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:28 am

If Lester goes back then this is a Home Run!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to The General MLB Board