Joe Maddon to Manage Cubs

Moderator: TyCobb

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Re: Joe Maddon to Manage Cubs 

Post#21 » by GYBE » Sat Nov 1, 2014 6:33 am

See, I have the completely opposite opinion. I think FIP is more valuable for relievers because of the small sample sizes involved.

Some starters are consistently worse than their FIP's. I'm thinking of guys like Edwin Jackson and Ricky Nolasco, who consistently give up more runs than their peripheral stats would indicate. Because we've seen so much evidence that they're just not that good, I'm inclined to disregard FIP and focus on their actual runs allowed.

With relievers, I really just focus on strikeout/walk rates and hope for the best. Unless you've got a real veteran, I don't think there's enough data to know how he handles all the other stuff that goes into pitching, the stuff Edwin can't figure out.

I also disagree that usage affects performance, but it's 2:35 AM here and I'm a little tired to start arguing that.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#22 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:13 pm

lol at Renteria being fired minutes after I posted that btw.

wonder if Tampa files those tampering charges.
inb4 Addison Russell to the Rays. :D
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#23 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Nov 2, 2014 2:31 am

I feel bad for Renteria but this is a perfect fit for the Cubbies.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
amcfad27
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,564

Post#24 » by amcfad27 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#25 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 am

GYBE wrote:See, I have the completely opposite opinion. I think FIP is more valuable for relievers because of the small sample sizes involved.

Some starters are consistently worse than their FIP's. I'm thinking of guys like Edwin Jackson and Ricky Nolasco, who consistently give up more runs than their peripheral stats would indicate. Because we've seen so much evidence that they're just not that good, I'm inclined to disregard FIP and focus on their actual runs allowed.

With relievers, I really just focus on strikeout/walk rates and hope for the best. Unless you've got a real veteran, I don't think there's enough data to know how he handles all the other stuff that goes into pitching, the stuff Edwin can't figure out.

I also disagree that usage affects performance, but it's 2:35 AM here and I'm a little tired to start arguing that.

FIP's importance has yet to come to the surface as OPS but it is real none the less.and i agree with you that it is more important to measure a relief pitchers as their total sample size is much smaller than a starter therefore a subjective stats such as ERA cannot tell the whole story, a la Ronald Bellisario of this year with the whitesox.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to The General MLB Board