Looking for a favorite team

Moderator: TyCobb

User avatar
Boogie!
RealGM
Posts: 32,107
And1: 16,984
Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!
Contact:
   

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#21 » by Boogie! » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 am

hop on the jays wagon. problem solved.
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT1qnw41Mj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#22 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Root for whichever team you enjoy watching the most! I will always be a Mariners fan first, because that is my hometown team. Went to games at the old Kingdom. Idolized Ken Griffey Jr. but, was also a fan of the Braves, because they were always on T.V. So, pick a team or teams that you have some kind of affinity for.
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 35,575
And1: 4,340
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#23 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:58 am

When I was picking my last few teams what worked for me is finding the equivalent of what my other teams were. I liked the Raptors and Leafs already so teams like the Bills and Cubs fanbases felt like the more natural fit as fanbases used to getting punched in the gut. Judging from the Hornets and Hurricanes model, I think a team like KC or Milwaukee could be a good fit
asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#24 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:38 pm

You like to get punched in the gut!? :wink: :lol:

Being an M's fan, I know all too well what that's like. :(
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
User avatar
truth18
RealGM
Posts: 26,147
And1: 18,090
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Location: Amorica
         

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#25 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:09 am

Your instincts are correct. You are clearly supposed to become a Red Sox fan. But I hope you enjoy whatever team you choose.
Image
"The voice was chanting, as the fog was lifting;
this land was made for you and me."

—Woody Guthrie
User avatar
NY2TheBay
Head Coach
Posts: 6,804
And1: 2,698
Joined: Sep 28, 2010
Location: On point like Steve Nash.
 

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#26 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Become a fan of a team that you can actually reach out and feel. What I mean by that is a team you can relate to. This is why people choose to root for their hometown team. They can go to the games, see the players and feel your city get behind them.

I root for the name on the front of the jersey not the back. People that choose a team based off of players well when those players go then you have a problem. The city remains.
When the grass is cut the snakes will show.
Catalysm
Pro Prospect
Posts: 920
And1: 915
Joined: Mar 15, 2014
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#27 » by Catalysm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:11 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:it's not necessary to have loyalty to your state or to the team closest to you.


Yes it is. It makes no sense to cheer for a team outside your city/state. There is a reason teams are affiliated with cities.


Forgive me for bumping a post that is nearly six months old, but I would like to get more out of your opinion here.

I live an hour away from Toronto, and grew up in Saskatchewan. My father was all about the Detroit sports, he grew up in Windsor with 4 jocks of older brothers and a bodybuilder father who guided him to stay fit, healthy, be active and love sports. Every year he took my two older sisters and I to at least 5 games a year for the Pistons and a 4 game series for the Tigers. Pistons were his absolute favourite.

The last gift he ever got me was a Pistons hat signed by Isiah Thomas that he won in a draw at his work. He died four days later getting hit by a drunk driver while walking home from work. It was two days before the 1989 playoffs started (Pistons first championship in case you didn't think of it), and my grandfather - his father - had just got off the plane in Saskatoon two hours after and was about to see my dad for the first time in six years (my dad had to travel a lot for work). Needless to say it was an absolute mess. Though by telling you this, there is one question I have to ask you after reading this post.

Is it inappropriate that I am a Detroit sports fan, based on my experiences and family ties, despite living in Canada and never living in the States?
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:We will have roughly 35 million in cap space this summer, easily could attract two top free agents while retaining our RFA'a.


ORL's amazing offseason: Fournier 85/5; Green 15/1; DJ 29/4; Biz 72/4; 2nd for Meeks; Oladipo, Ersan, Sabonis for Ibaka.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 31,525
And1: 11,783
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
   

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#28 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 am

Catalysm wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:it's not necessary to have loyalty to your state or to the team closest to you.


Yes it is. It makes no sense to cheer for a team outside your city/state. There is a reason teams are affiliated with cities.


Forgive me for bumping a post that is nearly six months old, but I would like to get more out of your opinion here.

I live an hour away from Toronto, and grew up in Saskatchewan. My father was all about the Detroit sports, he grew up in Windsor with 4 jocks of older brothers and a bodybuilder father who guided him to stay fit, healthy, be active and love sports. Every year he took my two older sisters and I to at least 5 games a year for the Pistons and a 4 game series for the Tigers. Pistons were his absolute favourite.

The last gift he ever got me was a Pistons hat signed by Isiah Thomas that he won in a draw at his work. He died four days later getting hit by a drunk driver while walking home from work. It was two days before the 1989 playoffs started (Pistons first championship in case you didn't think of it), and my grandfather - his father - had just got off the plane in Saskatoon two hours after and was about to see my dad for the first time in six years (my dad had to travel a lot for work). Needless to say it was an absolute mess. Though by telling you this, there is one question I have to ask you after reading this post.

Is it inappropriate that I am a Detroit sports fan, based on my experiences and family ties, despite living in Canada and never living in the States?


You can cheer for whatever team you want. You don't need my approval. But your case is special in that you don't have any professional sports teams that play in your city/province so my comment doesn't even apply to you.

And Detroit is closer to you geographically than Toronto.
Image
Kenny0873
Freshman
Posts: 82
And1: 1
Joined: May 28, 2007
         

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#29 » by Kenny0873 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:56 pm

I've followed three teams from three cities that I've lived in or close to for almost all of my life...the Astros, Rockies and Mariners. Seattle has been my favorite since the mid 90's and it's been difficult at times because of ownership that values profits more than winning and there have been more managers, GMs and flamed out prospects than pretty much every other team in that time span. All three teams have had moments, but no championships. I love the game, but being a fan of those teams have been torturous. I feel like a Browns fan sometimes...lol.
User avatar
Nuntius
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 9,283
And1: 1,428
Joined: Feb 28, 2012
   

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#30 » by Nuntius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Even then, I don't see how one can become a true fan of a team that they can't watch live or cheer for with their friends and family. But if someone can somehow develop that "true fan" attachment to a random team, then all the power to them.


You realize that this essentially disqualifies every international fan from being a "true fan", right?
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 31,525
And1: 11,783
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
   

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#31 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:17 am

Nuntius wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Even then, I don't see how one can become a true fan of a team that they can't watch live or cheer for with their friends and family. But if someone can somehow develop that "true fan" attachment to a random team, then all the power to them.


You realize that this essentially disqualifies every international fan from being a "true fan", right?

Pretty much. I love soccer, but I find it incredibly hard to care about any club (I live in North America). I can like the players on a team at any given time. But players are transient. There is nothing that binds me to a team long term.
Image
User avatar
Nuntius
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 9,283
And1: 1,428
Joined: Feb 28, 2012
   

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#32 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Even then, I don't see how one can become a true fan of a team that they can't watch live or cheer for with their friends and family. But if someone can somehow develop that "true fan" attachment to a random team, then all the power to them.


You realize that this essentially disqualifies every international fan from being a "true fan", right?

Pretty much. I love soccer, but I find it incredibly hard to care about any club (I live in North America). I can like the players on a team at any given time. But players are transient. There is nothing that binds me to a team long term.


You are dead wrong, though. I'm an international fan myself (never set foot in the US) and I can verify first hand that you do develop a connection with the team you support. I developed a connection with the Indiana Pacers as a kid while playing NBA Live and that's the only NBA team that I've ever followed.

And I'm far from the only person to do that. The Pacers have a robust community of international fans (including a devoted fan of people in China that the team visits from time to time) and most of those people have never set foot in the US but still have followed the Pacers for decades. Most of us watch the games live even if that means staying up at 3:00 and 4:00 AM and we'd have to wake up 3 hours after that to go to work. And do you know why we do that? Because we chose it.

You see, supporting a team is a choice. That's why the OP is asking the question he asked in the first place. You choose to support a team for whatever reason you deem important. You aren't born into it.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#33 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:18 am

Nuntius wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
You realize that this essentially disqualifies every international fan from being a "true fan", right?

Pretty much. I love soccer, but I find it incredibly hard to care about any club (I live in North America). I can like the players on a team at any given time. But players are transient. There is nothing that binds me to a team long term.


You are dead wrong, though. I'm an international fan myself (never set foot in the US) and I can verify first hand that you do develop a connection with the team you support. I developed a connection with the Indiana Pacers as a kid while playing NBA Live and that's the only NBA team that I've ever followed.

And I'm far from the only person to do that. The Pacers have a robust community of international fans (including a devoted fan of people in China that the team visits from time to time) and most of those people have never set foot in the US but still have followed the Pacers for decades. Most of us watch the games live even if that means staying up at 3:00 and 4:00 AM and we'd have to wake up 3 hours after that to go to work. And do you know why we do that? Because we chose it.

You see, supporting a team is a choice. That's why the OP is asking the question he asked in the first place. You choose to support a team for whatever reason you deem important. You aren't born into it.

Your absolutely in your right to support whoever you want. International or not. I've never been to Liverpool myself, but I'm a fan. I watch just about every game I can. Here in the states, most matches are very early in the morning. So, I often will record them.
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#34 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:33 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:it's not necessary to have loyalty to your state or to the team closest to you.


Yes it is. It makes no sense to cheer for a team outside your city/state. There is a reason teams are affiliated with cities.

What do you do, if you move around a lot? Or your team moves out of state? Some people don't have a close affinity to a team just because they live in an area. I've rooted for Seattle teams mainly, because that's my hometown. But, my basketball team was ripped away from me. I refuse to root for the Thunder, like many Sonic fans. :cry:
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
jrn5
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#35 » by jrn5 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 pm

If your team moves away, you keep your colors, keep your team name, keep your records, and wait for your team to come back.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#36 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:00 pm

jrn5 wrote:If your team moves away, you keep your colors, keep your team name, keep your records, and wait for your team to come back.

Which is precisely what Sonic fans are currently doing. The Browns kind of are a special case, because you got a team back within a few years. Unfortunately, the NBA hasn't been open to expansion. They blocked the Kings move also. Not much hope it appears on the horizon.
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,962
And1: 18,749
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#37 » by Arda K » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:32 pm

you gotta support your local franchises all the way or you lose em
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#38 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:03 am

Arda K wrote:you gotta support your local franchises all the way or you lose em

Are you trying to imply that fans didn't support the Sonics? Stop trolling Arda.
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,962
And1: 18,749
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#39 » by Arda K » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:29 am

it was a general sentiment but if the shoe fits..
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,969
And1: 2,755
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Looking for a favorite team 

Post#40 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Arda K wrote:it was a general sentiment but if the shoe fits..

If the shoe fits? :roll: The ONLY difference between Seattle/Sacramento was Sacramento had KJ in their corner. Fans were just as outspoken about keeping the team. Rallies held, etc. Unfortunately, politics always play a huge role in these things.
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that

Return to The General MLB Board