Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Moderator: TyCobb

User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 32,446
And1: 4,513
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#1 » by TyCobb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:37 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/jose-fernandez-dies-in-boating-accident.html

In stunning and tragic news, one of baseball’s preeminent young stars, Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez, died in a boating accident early Sunday morning, the team has confirmed. Fernandez was 24.

“The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at a very difficult time,” the club said in a statement.

As a result of Fernandez’s death, the Marlins have canceled their game against the Braves on Sunday. Fernandez was among three men who were found dead after a Coast Guard Patrol spotted an overturned boat off Miami Beach at 3:30 a.m. ET. The 32-foot boat the group was on had a “severe impact” with a jetty, Lorenzo Veloz of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told the Associated Press. There’s “no indication of alcohol or illegal drugs involved,” the Coast Guard said (via ESPN.com and Adam Kuperstein of NBC 6).



_____


Sick to my stomach. :-? RIP
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 28,358
And1: 2,670
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Yeah, this one really floored me when I pulled up ESPN this morning. What a sad day.
Image
User avatar
bondom34
Senior Mod - Thunder
Senior Mod - Thunder
Posts: 42,177
And1: 25,226
Joined: Mar 01, 2013
       

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Wow, not much of a baseball fan, but saw the headline and am still floored. RIP, this is really really saddening.
Dion Waiters wrote: What’s the analytics on that?

E: Pacers for Reggie
W: Thunder for Russ
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,965
And1: 18,753
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#4 » by Arda K » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:22 pm

horrible
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
User avatar
Stannis
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,071
And1: 854
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States
Contact:
     

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#5 » by Stannis » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:47 pm

RIP
https://youtu.be/YJTCXlT4c3E

"I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty."
User avatar
Mr. E
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
Posts: 16,212
And1: 4,058
Joined: Apr 15, 2006
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!
       

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Twice the legal blood-alcohol level & he had cocaine in his system. We should be thankful that he didn't harm more people than he did.

For some reason people's logic goes out the door when it comes to watercraft. Driving a boat while intoxicated is still very dangerous. Too many people think that it's safer because they are on the water and not on the road.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,965
And1: 18,753
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#7 » by Arda K » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:41 pm

tbf he may not have been driving it
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
User avatar
thizznation
Starter
Posts: 2,066
And1: 777
Joined: Aug 10, 2012

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#8 » by thizznation » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:51 am

Mr. E wrote:Twice the legal blood-alcohol level & he had cocaine in his system. We should be thankful that he didn't harm more people than he did.

For some reason people's logic goes out the door when it comes to watercraft. Driving a boat while intoxicated is still very dangerous. Too many people think that it's safer because they are on the water and not on the road.

Could you stop speculating and jumping to conclusions? He reportedly wasn't the one driving the boat. Have some respect for the man and his family before you start admonishing him while spinning speculative conclusions.
Mew
Junior
Posts: 251
And1: 387
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#9 » by Mew » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:26 pm

thizznation wrote:
Mr. E wrote:Twice the legal blood-alcohol level & he had cocaine in his system. We should be thankful that he didn't harm more people than he did.

For some reason people's logic goes out the door when it comes to watercraft. Driving a boat while intoxicated is still very dangerous. Too many people think that it's safer because they are on the water and not on the road.

Could you stop speculating and jumping to conclusions? He reportedly wasn't the one driving the boat. Have some respect for the man and his family before you start admonishing him while spinning speculative conclusions.


It's the internet, people love to talk trash sitting from their glass house and act like they've never made a mistake, it's normal.

My brother actually played a few AAU tournaments with Jose, you never ever heard anything bad about him, class act, RIP.
User avatar
Mr. E
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
Posts: 16,212
And1: 4,058
Joined: Apr 15, 2006
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!
       

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:20 pm

Mew wrote:
thizznation wrote:
Mr. E wrote:Twice the legal blood-alcohol level & he had cocaine in his system. We should be thankful that he didn't harm more people than he did.

For some reason people's logic goes out the door when it comes to watercraft. Driving a boat while intoxicated is still very dangerous. Too many people think that it's safer because they are on the water and not on the road.

Could you stop speculating and jumping to conclusions? He reportedly wasn't the one driving the boat. Have some respect for the man and his family before you start admonishing him while spinning speculative conclusions.


It's the internet, people love to talk trash sitting from their glass house and act like they've never made a mistake, it's normal.

My brother actually played a few AAU tournaments with Jose, you never ever heard anything bad about him, class act, RIP.


People driving/boating while intoxicated hits way too close to home for me to try to pretend to be objective.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mew
Junior
Posts: 251
And1: 387
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#11 » by Mew » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Mr. E wrote:
Mew wrote:
thizznation wrote:Could you stop speculating and jumping to conclusions? He reportedly wasn't the one driving the boat. Have some respect for the man and his family before you start admonishing him while spinning speculative conclusions.


It's the internet, people love to talk trash sitting from their glass house and act like they've never made a mistake, it's normal.

My brother actually played a few AAU tournaments with Jose, you never ever heard anything bad about him, class act, RIP.


People driving/boating while intoxicated hits way too close to home for me to try to pretend to be objective.


At least you're honest about it, my cousin was killed by a drunk driver, and I get that people despise it and all, but most people that drink, have driven drunk in their lives, and so far the information out there is that Jose wasn't driving the boat anyway.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 32,446
And1: 4,513
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#12 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Now Yordano Venture dies in a car accident.. my gooodness...RIP
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 35,905
And1: 4,540
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident 

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Jesus
asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com

Return to The General MLB Board