Seattle Seahawks
63%

Total votes: 48

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Re: GT: Super Bowl XLVIII February 2, 2014 6:30 PM 

Post#441 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 11:50 am

Abe_505 wrote:Manning was always perceived as a great regular season QB and a not so great post season QB even though he always went into big playoff games with a weak ass defense.

I also want to respond to this specific point.

Manning over his postseason career in the 12 times his team has lost in the playoffs:

291/485 (60.0%), 13 TDs, 14 INTs, 263.6 YPG, 76.5 RTG

His teams average 15.4 PPG in those losses.

People don't get on Manning for his teams losing, because it IS a team game...they get on Manning, because HE is directly responsible for the team losing! He looks like a completely average QB, with more INTs than TDs, and his team's offense becomes anemic. I'd say the QB that sets all kinds of records during the regular season but then looks like a completely mediocre QB as his team's offense shrivels and his team ends up losing in the postseason should receive the majority of the blame for those losses. The defenses on his teams could have allowed 16 ppg and they still would have lost, because that's how badly his teams have gotten shut down. That's why the defenses don't get blamed and Manning does. Even if the defenses played great games, Manning didn't do enough to win.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#442 » by bbms » Mon Feb 3, 2014 12:14 pm

Congrats to what is possibly the best SB team since the rule changes that made the NFL pass-oriented. Never seen so much domination in a Super Bowl like yesterday, and that was against an All-time level offense.

Congrats to Percy, really gave the team momentum early. Congrats to Russell, didn't let the offense stagnate early, came efficient as ever, he was the best QB to play yesterday for sure. Marshawn, who wasn't effective but fought to death. Doug and Jermaine broke tackles to death too. That was the best performance this Offensive Line had this season on pass blocking.

Congratulations to Earl Thomas, the most important defensive player on this team. Sherman and Maxwell allowed no big gains until the game was done. Chancellor had an important boom early against Demaryius and most importantly picked off Manning. Malcom Smith always well positioned, capitalized on every mistake made against us in this playoffs, Bobby Wagner was great too. Michael Bennett, a monster. Avril, another one. Hopefully both of them are resigned. Clemons had a huge sack fumble.

Ultimate team win.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#443 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 3, 2014 1:48 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:This is just gonna make me hate manning. I'm already sick of the talk. We have a browns fan of all people saying he wouldn't want him then people whining about how he's still the greatest (what a slight to joe Montana elway and Brady).

I don't understand how Elway fits in. That guy got annihilated in 3 super bowls, was never a 1st team All-Pro and was significantly inferior statistically.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#444 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 2:36 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Anyway Celtsfan, Warner and Young as 2 of your top 3 QBs is insane.

Let's look at some of the other recent great quarterbacks:Aikman(great offensive line, great running back, very good receivers, good to very good defense), Brady(has done nothing but choking lately), Favre(frequently choked), Elway(benefitted off of a weak conference, stats were barely above average, and he frequently choked), Marino(choked frequently), and of course Manning. If you're going to claim Young was a choker, you'd certainly have to claim Manning has been a worse choker since he's had far more opportunities than Young had. Young had an average offensive line at best, and was injury-prone. Won 6 passing titles. And Warner was one of the rare great quarterbacks recently who played very well in the playoffs. I consider Montana by far number 1 and Young and Warner 2 and 3. There's logical reasons I feel this way.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#445 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 2:53 pm

Schwabby wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:Young, Warner, and definitely Montana are all better than Manning. Brady, Marino, and Aikman are just as good as Manning. Other than that I don't think I'd argue for any other recent quarterback. Manning's poor performance doesn't change my mind one way or the other.

There's trolling, and then there's whatever this is. Which seems to be a mix of butthurt and sheer, unadulterated inability to grasp reality.

I put huge emphasis on playoffs. Manning had 7 interceptions the year he won the Super Bowl, and is lucky he has a single ring.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#446 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:21 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:Anyway Celtsfan, Warner and Young as 2 of your top 3 QBs is insane.

Let's look at some of the other recent great quarterbacks:Aikman(great offensive line, great running back, very good receivers, good to very good defense), Brady(has done nothing but choking lately), Favre(frequently choked), Elway(benefitted off of a weak conference, stats were barely above average, and he frequently choked), Marino(choked frequently), and of course Manning. If you're going to claim Young was a choker, you'd certainly have to claim Manning has been a worse choker since he's had far more opportunities than Young had. Young had an average offensive line at best, and was injury-prone. Won 6 passing titles. And Warner was one of the rare great quarterbacks recently who played very well in the playoffs. I consider Montana by far number 1 and Young and Warner 2 and 3. There's logical reasons I feel this way.

Warner didn't have enough great seasons to be a top 5 All-time QB, he only made 4 pro-bowls. And it's not like he didn't have his bad games in the playoffs. He threw 3 picks in the 99 championship game against Tampa Bay, he wasn't great in the Super Bowl against the Pats. He doesn't deserve that type of consideration.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#447 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:28 pm

I was so drunk I don't remember much of the 2nd half due to super bowl party. I had a great time tho.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#448 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:39 pm

Warner is also first in completion percentage and second in passer rating in playoff history. If the refs had made the right calls at the end of the Cardinals-Steelers game he could have led the Cardinals(yes, the Cardinals) to a Super Bowl victory.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#449 » by Higga » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:47 pm

Wow, what a stinker of a game. Even the commercials sucked, and didn't love the halftime show either.

I thought Manning could put up 24+ on anyone, wow could not have been more wrong. Big ups to the Seahawks D. They played some of the best defense I've ever seen. Just completely dominant.

I'm still a Peyton Manning fan, but even I'll admit his legacy gets tarnished some. I mean it'd be one thing if he lost a tough 28-24 heartbreaker type, but this is another big game where he was absolutely terrible in. He's basically the Alex Rodriguez of the NFL without all the PED stuff.

Seahawks front office is awesome. So many mid/late round picks that have struck gold. That's how you build a championship team, build thru the draft and use FA to get that last big piece or two to get over the hump(e.g. Harvin).

Now...seven more months till football starts up again. :(
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#450 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:48 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Warner is also first in completion percentage and second in passer rating in playoff history. If the refs had made the right calls at the end of the Cardinals-Steelers game he could have led the Cardinals(yes, the Cardinals) to a Super Bowl victory.

He still didn't have enough seasons of it, and with both the Rams and the Cardinals he had absolutely ridiculous receivers. Maybe the best two receiving cores in Super Bowl history.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#451 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 5:14 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:

There maybe reasons, logical I'm not so sure. I love the arguement of other players supporting casts but you overlook the fact the players that Young and Warner played with in their careers. I'm a huge fan of Young but I would never have him over Brady, Manning, Marino. As for Kurt Warner he's not even in the discussing for the greatest QB's of all-time.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#452 » by ash_k » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:27 pm

There should not be any doubt now that the greatest QB of all time is TOM BRADY!!!!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#453 » by LikeABosh » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:31 pm

Bulltalk wrote:I'm still looking for that #1 offense of all time. That all time great QB. Where did they go? Oh, yeah, we destroyed them, humiliated them, made them look worse than mediocre, made them look bad, made them look tiny, made them bore the entire world on Super Bowl Sunday. Such a scary offense. So intimidating. So big and bad. Made everyone believe in you, think that you could do anything, score at will, make people bet on you, predict you as winners, got most of the nation actually thinking you were special beyond compare.

Take that b*tches. You were nothing. Our defense ruled. Your vaunted hallowed-be-thy-name offense... :rofl:

Goodnight.

Ugh
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#454 » by karkinos » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:57 pm

everyone hated the superbowl bc they thought it was boring and lopsided

it was certainly lopsided, but i didn't ever think watching the seahawks was boring...you just saw one of the most dominant teams of all time on both sides of the ball. the defense and offense were flat out unstoppable and it was fun to watch how amazing they were.

kearse and baldwin were still taking shots, but the moves they made to get the yards after the catch...that's just pure effort.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#455 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 3, 2014 7:59 pm

This game had USC vs Oklahoma written all over it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#456 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:23 pm

HOUSTON — Seattle’s victory in the Super Bowl has cost Houston furniture store mogul Jim McIngvale some $7 million.

McIngvale is the owner of one of the nation’s largest independent furniture stores, Gallery Furniture. He promised customers who spent at least $6,000 in the past two weeks and took delivery before Sunday’s game that he’d refund their purchase cost if Seattle won.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#457 » by Da Schwab » Mon Feb 3, 2014 8:39 pm

cancer wrote:everyone hated the superbowl bc they thought it was boring and lopsided

it was certainly lopsided, but i didn't ever think watching the seahawks was boring...you just saw one of the most dominant teams of all time on both sides of the ball. the defense and offense were flat out unstoppable and it was fun to watch how amazing they were.

kearse and baldwin were still taking shots, but the moves they made to get the yards after the catch...that's just pure effort.

I didn't get bored til garbage time started halfway through the fourth quarter. Watching Seattle run game on Denver was incredibly entertaining.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#458 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Feb 3, 2014 9:19 pm

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
ExcellentHabits
Junior
And1: 301

Post#459 » by ExcellentHabits » Mon Feb 3, 2014 9:47 pm

therealbig3 wrote:291/485 (60.0%), 13 TDs, 14 INTs, 263.6 YPG, 76.5 RTG

His teams average 15.4 PPG in those losses..

From 2004-2012, Peyton actually performed admirably in playoff losses. It was what he did before 2004 that was poor and the Superbowl last night that was pathetic.

For the most part, the defense did abandon him. He may not have put up as many points as he was use to but the thing is that his rushing defense was poor. They had no name DTs and pass rushing DEs who struggled against the run. Opposing teams would run the clock on him and keep him off the sideline. It's hard to score a lot when you hardly ever have a chance to get the ball. It's no coincidence his only Superbowl win was when Bob Sanders was playing at a DPOY level in 2006 and shut down the run.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#460 » by JV4MVP » Tue Feb 4, 2014 1:06 am

Return to The General NFL Board