Johnny Football

Moderator: bwgood77

orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Re: Johnny Football 

Post#41 » by orlandomanic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 am

righterwriter wrote:Matthew Stafford's official measurement: 6'2 1/4. In the photo he seems to be just a smidgen taller than Young, backing up every listing of Steve Young which shows him as 6'2. Can you find any reference which lists him at 6'1?

Regarding Young being a scrambling QB, not a pocket passer, you are talking to a devoted Niners fan since 1987. As someone that watched probably every game Young ever played, I think I'm more than qualified to answer whether he was a pocket passer or not.

Just because you watch highlights of Young being able to scramble doesn't mean he did it on every play. Frankly put, you can't be a QB in the West Coast Offense if you don't make quick, accurate decisions, something which doesn't lend itself to a QB who is letting plays breakdown frequently.

This is just really stupid. you know nothing of the niners and the west coast offense. Walsh's west coast offense relies on a 3 step drop, not a 5 or 7 step drop like other offensives. the 3 step drop forces QBs to make faster decisions. if they can't find a receiver in a 3 step drop, then they have to make a play with their feet, either throwing on the run or running to the sidelines. that is why Walsh always favored or had to draft and coach scrambling QBs like Montana, Young, and Garcia (now Kaepernick)
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#42 » by righterwriter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:22 am

orlandomanic wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Matthew Stafford's official measurement: 6'2 1/4. In the photo he seems to be just a smidgen taller than Young, backing up every listing of Steve Young which shows him as 6'2. Can you find any reference which lists him at 6'1?

Regarding Young being a scrambling QB, not a pocket passer, you are talking to a devoted Niners fan since 1987. As someone that watched probably every game Young ever played, I think I'm more than qualified to answer whether he was a pocket passer or not.

Just because you watch highlights of Young being able to scramble doesn't mean he did it on every play. Frankly put, you can't be a QB in the West Coast Offense if you don't make quick, accurate decisions, something which doesn't lend itself to a QB who is letting plays breakdown frequently.

This is just really stupid. you know nothing of the niners and the west coast offense. Walsh's west coast offense relies on a 3 step drop, not a 5 or 7 step drop like other offensives. the 3 step drop forces QBs to make faster decisions. if they can't find a receiver in a 3 step drop, then they have to make a play with their feet, either throwing on the run or running to the sidelines. that is why Walsh always favored or had to draft and coach scrambling QBs like Montana, Young, and Garcia (now Kaepernick)

You are talking to someone who watched probably every single game that Steve Young played in a 49ers uniform. So trust me when I tell you that you don't know what you are talking about.

What you are doing is confusing a QB having the ability to escape with a QB that runs/scrambles as a regular part of the offense. Just because Young had good escapability absolutely does not mean that he wasn't almost entirely a pocket passer that relied on his accuracy and timing.

To give you an example that will hopefully reflect where the stupidity lies between you and I in this discussion, read this simple stat:

Johnny Manziel average number of rushing attempts per game: 13.26
Steve Young average number of rushing attempts per game as the starting QB in SF: 4.37
Joe Montana average number of rushing attempts per game as the starting QB in SF: 2.3
Jeff Garcia average number of rushing attempts per game as the starting QB in SF: 4.5

The three Bill Walsh West coast offense QBs you listed don't have the COMBINED number of rushing attempts per game that Manziel had.

Back to the drawing board.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,124

Post#43 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 9, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm glad the Browns took him at 22 but if Hoyer stays healthy, don't be shocked if he's Johnny Clipboard his rookie season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Okada
Sixth Man
And1: 687

Post#44 » by Okada » Fri May 9, 2014 6:40 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm glad the Browns took him at 22 but if Hoyer stays healthy, don't be shocked if he's Johnny Clipboard his rookie season.

Hoyer is absurdly overrated by most Browns fans. The guy played TWO games and wasn't even good in either of them, I think it just feels like he was better than he was because they happened to be wins (which we don't see all that often). The guy simply is not a realistic starting NFL QB and will only be mediocre at best, and I can't believe how many Browns fans believe he is.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,124

Post#45 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 9, 2014 6:50 pm

Okada wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm glad the Browns took him at 22 but if Hoyer stays healthy, don't be shocked if he's Johnny Clipboard his rookie season.

Hoyer is absurdly overrated by most Browns fans. The guy played TWO games and wasn't even good in either of them, I think it just feels like he was better than he was because they happened to be wins (which we don't see all that often). The guy simply is not a realistic starting NFL QB and will only be mediocre at best, and I can't believe how many Browns fans believe he is.

From what I saw, Hoyer makes good reads. He makes quick reads. He gets the ball out quickly and he's accurate. That is about as much as you can ask for from the position. If he stays healthy, we shall see how good he is at this point in his career.

Johnny would benefit greatly from being a back up for one year. He's still young and growing. He has a lot of work to do with regarding to his blitz reads. They are only going to get more difficult in the NFL.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#46 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Okada wrote:

I lurk on scout.com, which has a lot of Browns fans. In quarterback conversations, the vast majority acknowledge Hoyer is a big question mark. He's been given very little opportunity. Going by what I can see, very few Browns fans overrate him.
Okada
Sixth Man
And1: 687

Post#47 » by Okada » Sat May 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I lurk on scout.com, which has a lot of Browns fans. In quarterback conversations, the vast majority acknowledge Hoyer is a big question mark. He's been given very little opportunity. Going by what I can see, very few Browns fans overrate him.

Maybe not on a forum, but I know/meets tons of Browns fans in real life. And I don't need to tell you that the general opinions between sports fans on a forum and sports fans you meet on the streets is pretty different.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#48 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 pm

do you think he'll starting going by Jonathan Football from now on to sound more professional?
Probably he will.
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#49 » by BloodyNose » Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Okada wrote:

agreed, hoyer played a couple of decent games and gets named the starter already? Ridiculous. Fans are going to push hard for johnny football anyways, i mean people bought season tickets just to see him play every sunday/ Johnny needs to be taking the 1st team snaps, and be starter in week 1. This isn't brett favre the browns have, ITS BRIAN FREAKING HOYER WITH 3 DECENT GAMES PLAYED!!!!. Hes your 2nd option not your 1st.

I don't care if hes been sucking bradys cock for 5 years, hoyer should be acting like the backup. What a stupid comment anyways, the preseason hasn't even started, teams have done basically nothing so far and a starter is named. ROFL
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#50 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Ahaha, what a bunch of crap. Johnny football is gonna get run down and get the crap knocked out of him anyways...let him start.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#51 » by Lexluthor » Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 pm

I would had picked Bridgewater over him . I think it's a joke to compare him to Russell Wilson .
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,083

Post#52 » by JDR720 » Sat Jun 7, 2014 8:39 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/475376252065705984[/tweet]
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#53 » by Mamba Mentality » Sat Jun 7, 2014 9:47 pm

He never played baseball for the Aggies. This is one sad publicity stunt by the Padres. :lol:
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#54 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Jun 8, 2014 5:42 am

sounds like its time to shorten the MLB draft a few rounds
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#55 » by Slava » Mon Jun 9, 2014 9:45 pm

Don't they even have to declare for the draft in baseball?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
clarkparker
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#56 » by clarkparker » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:25 am

Yes I agree Hoyer is not a good player . It is just they won the game so he is getting so much attention. But I don't feel he can do this in long run.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#57 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:07 am

The Browns seem to be doing everything in their power to assure Manziel is not successful in Cleveland.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,319

Post#58 » by Bank Shot » Mon Jul 7, 2014 3:05 pm

JFF putting that massive beak to good use:

will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#59 » by will » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:43 am

Dat Hannah Montana?

Return to The General NFL Board