Johnny Football

Moderator: bwgood77

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,736

Re: Johnny Football 

Post#21 » by gswhoops » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 pm

inquisitive wrote:Texans are leaning towards Clowney, but things can change.

Source?

This is what I would do, frankly, but everything I've heard from the scouting community indicates that they will go QB at #1.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#22 » by Slava » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I want him to succeed just because every Tom, Dick & Harry is a pro-scout when it comes to judging him and yet I doubt barely 10% even know what they are talking about.

The comparisons to Tebow, I just don't get, just look at Manziel's performance against Alabama earlier this season and you know how accurate and good his throwing arm is, his craftiness in maneuvering through pressure in the pocket and hitting the receivers in stride even when there is utter chaos around him. He was hitting Evans perfectly with double coverage, even if you discount for the fact that Evans is bigger than any corner guarding him by 3 inches, Manziel has been excellent with his targets.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#23 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 pm

In reference to his critics, Ron Jaworski doesn't think Manziel is worth 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round consideration. This is coming from the same guy who's on record for saying Brandon Weeden has the potential to be the next Peyton Manning... :lol:

The sad reality is everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to Manziel.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#24 » by Bulltalk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Jaws is a pretty decent NFL analyst. But he's been off on QB's of late. He went over the top on Kaepernick not looking closely enough/considering enough his throwing mechanics and his decision making prowess. He sold Russell Wilson short all the way to his Super Bowl win.

You have to take all these prognosticators of talent with a spoonful of salt. They are going to be wrong a lot. At best, they are right somewhat noticeably more often than not. Even so, they are still going to be wrong a lot.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#25 » by BloodyNose » Sun Mar 2, 2014 6:05 pm

johnny football will go higher because of intangibles, idk how he will translate to the NFL, but im definitely going to be watching it unfold. I think he has good agility that will allow him to scramble at the nfl level, even if hes not as fast in a straight line as kap, cam, or luck.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#26 » by nybluemeadow » Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:35 am

Bulltalk wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
Vides990 wrote:There's not one similarity between the two.....................

They're both undersized, great at extending plays by scrambling and can throw the ball downfield well. It's not an exact comparison but there are similarities.

A few differences between the two are that Russell Wilson has somewhat significantly bigger hands, has a much stronger arm, better mechanics, and is certainly a higher character individual/and more trustworthy in that way.

Manziel reminds me of Steve Young. Both Steve Young and Drew Brees are under 6'1. Steve Young was the 2nd best QB in the 90s (behind Favre) and Brees is easily considered a top 3 QB in this decade behind Brady and Manning.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Russell Wilson (or Michael Vick). Manziel's arm, ability to scramble, and vision is the most similar Steve Young that i have seen in years.

After the success of Wilson and Brees, it seems like people are becoming less enamored with the 6'5, Troy Aikman, and are now not putting any importance in height for a QB.

BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#27 » by BloodyNose » Fri Mar 7, 2014 5:31 am

nybluemeadow wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
gswhoops wrote:They're both undersized, great at extending plays by scrambling and can throw the ball downfield well. It's not an exact comparison but there are similarities.

A few differences between the two are that Russell Wilson has somewhat significantly bigger hands, has a much stronger arm, better mechanics, and is certainly a higher character individual/and more trustworthy in that way.

Manziel reminds me of Steve Young. Both Steve Young and Drew Brees are under 6'1. Steve Young was the 2nd best QB in the 90s (behind Favre) and Brees is easily considered a top 3 QB in this decade behind Brady and Manning.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Russell Wilson (or Michael Vick). Manziel's arm, ability to scramble, and vision is the most similar Steve Young that i have seen in years.

After the success of Wilson and Brees, it seems like people are becoming less enamored with the 6'5, Troy Aikman, and are now not putting any importance in height for a QB.

height only matters if a small qb decides he wants to drop back and be a statue in the pocket. Brees always does a good job of moving away from the pressure and giving himself good throwing lanes. If manziel does that, he shouldn't have a problem.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#28 » by inquisitive » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:45 pm

still not convinced Johnny is willing to stay in the pocket....he would likely take off...also, not convinced his body can take punishment....he would sell alot of tickets and bring excitement to Houston though.

With reports of O'Brien not really wanting Johnny and also thinking about getting Ryan Mallet in a trade from NE, Manziel might not likely be their #1 pick after all.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#29 » by righterwriter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:18 pm

nybluemeadow wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
gswhoops wrote:They're both undersized, great at extending plays by scrambling and can throw the ball downfield well. It's not an exact comparison but there are similarities.

Steve Young was 6'2, 215lbs. Manziel is 6 foot, 207lbs. Not a huge difference, but Manziel doesn't have the thick upper body that Young did. Also, Young was mainly a pocket passer with the ability to scramble when required. Manziel seems like a guy who is quick to scramble rather than hang in.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#30 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 pm

righterwriter wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:

Steve Young was 6'2, 215lbs. Manziel is 6 foot, 207lbs. Not a huge difference, but Manziel doesn't have the thick upper body that Young did. Also, Young was mainly a pocket passer with the ability to scramble when required. Manziel seems like a guy who is quick to scramble rather than hang in.

Young was 6'1, shorter than Favre, Montana, Jerry Rice. Young was known as a scrambling QB even though he was not athletic, and never known as a pocket passer.

orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#31 » by orlandomanic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:24 am

righterwriter wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:

Joe Montana's playing weight was 200lbs. Drew Bree's playing weight is 209lbs. so who cares.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#32 » by righterwriter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:19 am

nybluemeadow wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:

Young was 6'1, shorter than Favre, Montana, Jerry Rice. Young was known as a scrambling QB even though he was not athletic, and never known as a pocket passer.

Matthew Stafford's official measurement: 6'2 1/4. In the photo he seems to be just a smidgen taller than Young, backing up every listing of Steve Young which shows him as 6'2. Can you find any reference which lists him at 6'1?

Regarding Young being a scrambling QB, not a pocket passer, you are talking to a devoted Niners fan since 1987. As someone that watched probably every game Young ever played, I think I'm more than qualified to answer whether he was a pocket passer or not.

Just because you watch highlights of Young being able to scramble doesn't mean he did it on every play. Frankly put, you can't be a QB in the West Coast Offense if you don't make quick, accurate decisions, something which doesn't lend itself to a QB who is letting plays breakdown frequently.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#33 » by El Turco » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 am

it is a common misconception, i think second time somebody here tried to claim otherwise but young was definitely a pocket passer.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#34 » by BloodyNose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 pm

El MyLittlePony wrote:it is a common misconception, i think second time somebody here tried to claim otherwise but young was definitely a pocket passer.

I never got to watch him but i heard he was pretty raw, and then got better as a pocket passer as his career went on
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by orlandomanic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Steve Young was definatly a scrambling quaterback in BYU, so was Doug Flutie in Boston College. Anybody who thinks that Young was a pocket passer at BYU, doesn't know what he is talking about. That was a good time in college football, i remember watching Steve Young, Doug Flutie, Herschel Walker, Bruce Smith, Randall Cunningham, Kevin Greene, and hearing about Mississippi Valley.
El Turco

Post#36 » by El Turco » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm

nobody was talking about byu, lot of gimmick offenses in college

orlandomanic
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by orlandomanic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 pm

You do know that BYU and Texas A&M are both colleges right?

And by the way, Steve Young was the definition of a scrambing QB in both college and the NFL. Steve Young was 6'1, and averaged 400 yards rushing every year, while Troy Aikman was 6'5, and averaged 60 yards rushing in the NFL.

Anybody who says Steve Young was a pocket pass, obviously never watched Steve Young play and has no idea what they are talking about.
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#38 » by BloodyNose » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 pm

i cant wait for johnny football to prove all these espn queers wrong
El Turco

Post#39 » by El Turco » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:48 am

orlandomanic wrote:You do know that BYU and Texas A&M are both colleges right?

And by the way, Steve Young was the definition of a scrambing QB in both college and the NFL. Steve Young was 6'1, and averaged 400 yards rushing every year, while Troy Aikman was 6'5, and averaged 60 yards rushing in the NFL.

Anybody who says Steve Young was a pocket pass, obviously never watched Steve Young play and has no idea what they are talking about.

anybody who says successful west coast offense can be achieved without a good pocket passer, has no idea how west coast offense works. his rushing yards has nothing to do with the fact that he was an excellent pocket passer in his prime, he had 70 percent completion rate during the super bowl season, something brady or manning never achieved, his career yards per attempt is better than those two as well. not that young's rushing average came close 400 yards a year, he went over 400 five out of his fifteen season averaging out under 300 yards.

and this is a nfl board, not a college football board.

tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#40 » by tcorbin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 pm

The Steve Young compairisons are starting to spread not only with fan, but also with NFL scouts and GMs. I looked up some old BYU film and Manziel really does look exactly like Steve Young in both size and skills.

"ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando went to Orlando, Fla., to watch Jon Gruden's QB Camp taping with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. He has written up Gruden's five biggest takeaways from the interview and throwing sessions below, in Gruden's voice.

1. Steve Young is who I see when I watch Johnny Manziel's tape

Now, it's the Steve Young we saw coming out of BYU, not the finished product who won a Super Bowl and became a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But the similarities are there, and it's exciting: He's very fast, all over the place athletically, very similar size. My dad was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when they took Young in the supplemental draft back in 1984. I remember him studying a lot of Young's tape at BYU and with the L.A. Express (USFL). There's a lot of common ground: their size, speed, playmaking ability and upside. The upside is tremendous.
"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10678665/2014-nfl-draft-jon-gruden-qb-camp-johnny-manziel

Return to The General NFL Board