Weaker defense=no Championships for Brady

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Weaker defense=no Championships for Brady 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 pm

We can safely say New England's defense played a large role in their three Championships. Is Brady hurting his legacy by playing longer? Is it time he should retire?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Re: Weaker defense=no Championships for Brady 

Post#2 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Its the "Patriot way" that's been killin Tom
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#3 » by Higga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 pm

He doesn't have to retire. He's still a great QB and the Pats are still contenders every year. It's HARD to win a Super Bowl, and they've been to five and won three in the Brady era. Can you realistically ask for more? The Pats are a threat every year, that's all you can do when you're building a team, get there every year and hope that the balls bounce your way and you can win it all.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#4 » by Da Schwab » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Yeah... The man who dragged a team to the conference championship game with hardly any offense and a subpar defense should totally just hang it up. There's no way they could get better.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#5 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Schwabby wrote:Yeah... The man who dragged a team to the conference championship game with hardly any offense and a subpar defense should totally just hang it up. There's no way they could get better.

I thought it was a bad season by Brady's standards. The top teams in the AFC were garbage. Honestly I don't see what he has to play for at this point.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#6 » by Da Schwab » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Schwabby wrote:Yeah... The man who dragged a team to the conference championship game with hardly any offense and a subpar defense should totally just hang it up. There's no way they could get better.

I thought it was a bad season by Brady's standards. The top teams in the AFC were garbage. Honestly I don't see what he has to play for at this point.

The key to your statement is "by Brady's standards." He had Gronk missing for nine games, Danny Amendola for four and Shane Vereen for eight. Not to mention he was sacked 40 times.

With healthy weapons and a line that could keep him upright, he probably would have thrown for 4500-5000 yards again. Not to say the 4300 he put up this year was chump change.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#7 » by Bulltalk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:29 am

Maybe he loves playing football, and can still play his position amongst the best who do so. He's also making millions of dollars at the same time. I guess I don't get the question or the concern.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#8 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:

With the garbage the Pats put around him I would say he had a very good season. Lets be honest this guy was really close to having 5 superbowl wins. Why would he want to retire while he's still one of the best in the game?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#9 » by gswhoops » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Let's keep things in perspective that a "down year" from Brady (which came with a porous offensive line and minimal continuity or talent at the skill positions) was still better than all but maybe four or five other QBs in the league.

He's got a lot of football left in him.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#10 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Mar 1, 2014 3:15 am

it's ridiculous how people downplay how good the 01, 03 an 04 teams were on defense because the names weren't as popular as others.

their defense was full of freakin studs.
no studs as of late....no rings.

in that time....it seems as if Brady has become a much better QB btw.
become better QB? win no rings? i think it's time for them to beef that defense up to make another srs run at the title.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#11 » by BloodyNose » Sun Mar 2, 2014 6:03 pm

bradys dominance during those championship runs were so overrated. Hes a better qb now then he was back then but still couldn't get any more rings
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#12 » by El Turco » Sun Mar 2, 2014 8:04 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:it's ridiculous how people downplay how good the 01, 03 an 04 teams were on defense because the names weren't as popular as others.

become better QB? win no rings? i think it's time for them to beef that defense up to make another srs run at the title.

pats defense has plenty of studs, they just need to stay on the field.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#13 » by BloodyNose » Thu Mar 6, 2014 5:29 pm

El MyLittlePony wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:it's ridiculous how people downplay how good the 01, 03 an 04 teams were on defense because the names weren't as popular as others.

pats defense has plenty of studs, they just need to stay on the field.

yep that D was rolling early on, but mayo, spikes, and wilfork gone, thats a wrap, or i should say afc championship game
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:53 pm

retire? you crazy...he can still play, but i think he should see opportunities with other teams...not sure when he will become a free agent, but if he is already locked in for a while, then by the time his contract is up, he will retire then.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#15 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 am

Wilfork is in the final year of his contract and was scheduled to earn a base salary of $7.5 million and count $11.6 million against the salary cap. Sources previously told ESPNBoston.com that the Patriots recently approached Wilfork about altering his contract.

New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork has asked the team to release him after 10 seasons, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... ts-release
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#16 » by BloodyNose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Wilfork is in the final year of his contract and was scheduled to earn a base salary of $7.5 million and count $11.6 million against the salary cap. Sources previously told ESPNBoston.com that the Patriots recently approached Wilfork about altering his contract.

New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork has asked the team to release him after 10 seasons, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... ts-release

that defense was rolling in the beggining. Once wilfork went down you could see how mediocre they became. The guy is a monster
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#17 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 am

This hasn't shown that Brady is bad. Tom Brady has grown into a much more deadly QB than he was in the super bowl winning seasons, but it's showing that trying to win by overpowering offense and passing with little regard for balance isn't the recipe to win a SuperBowl. You think of all teams, they'd get that, as they were winning with the old formula, while Peyton Manning was coming up short with his super passing teams.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to The General NFL Board