Post#1 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 pm

This should be fun. Discuss.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/510531739685359616[/tweet]
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: OT: Adrian Peterson Indicted For Hitting Son With Switch 

Post#2 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 pm

I had no idea what a switch was until I googled it. A whip, rod, or twig? C'mon, AP...

What the **** is wrong with athletes?

He's on one of my fantasy teams... :-? :banghead:
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,749

Post#3 » by omerome » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:26 pm

So you can't even discipline your children now? This isn't the same as abuse.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#4 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:27 pm

omerome wrote:So you can't even discipline your children now? This isn't the same as abuse.

But with a whip? Is that necessary?

I feel weird disagreeing with you because we tend to see eye to eye :/
omerome
RealGM

Post#5 » by omerome » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
omerome wrote:So you can't even discipline your children now? This isn't the same as abuse.

A switch doesn't necessarily mean a whip though, it can mean a stick or something. I was disciplined with all sorts of things from belts, slippers, or just regular 'hand to butt' when I was younger and so was a lot of members of my family and friends. It wasn't uncommon.

If AP's child did something he felt that needed him to use a switch, as long as he wasn't using unnecessary force to leave permanent marks or something, I don't see a problem. There's a difference between discipline and abuse, I hope it wasn't the latter.

I think the problem nowadays is kids aren't disciplined enough and they turn into spoiled brats, or kids who don't know right from wrong.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#6 » by kane » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

A switch!? What is this 1920
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#7 » by kane2021 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

When I was growing up parents and some teachers would go for a weapon and whip you right across your ass. I used to get hit with "the belt" when I messed up real bad. It worked too.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#8 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 pm

omerome wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

A switch doesn't necessarily mean a whip though, it can mean a stick or something. I was disciplined with all sorts of things from belts, slippers, or just regular 'hand to butt' when I was younger and so was a lot of members of my family and friends. It wasn't uncommon.

If AP's child did something he felt that needed him to use a switch, as long as he wasn't using unnecessary force to leave permanent marks or something, I don't see a problem. There's a difference between discipline and abuse, I hope it wasn't the latter.

I think the problem nowadays is kids aren't disciplined enough and they turn into spoiled brats, or kids who don't know right from wrong.

I guess we'll have to wait for more information to come out. Still...he's an NFL RB -- did he really think that using physical force on a kid is a good idea?

FWIW, I was never disciplined with a "switch" or the like. I don't even think I was spanked...and I never got grounded. I was told to go to my room / had TV or whatnot taken away for a period of time, but that's really it. I guess different parenting styles.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by kane2021 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

A switch is a tree branch. Its common to make the child pick it.

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#10 » by Sark » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

If there's a video, he's done.
omerome
RealGM

Post#11 » by omerome » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
omerome wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I guess we'll have to wait for more information to come out. Still...he's an NFL RB -- did he really think that using physical force on a kid is a good idea?

FWIW, I was never disciplined with a "switch" or the like. I don't even think I was spanked...and I never got grounded. I was told to go to my room / had TV or whatnot taken away for a period of time, but that's really it. I guess different parenting styles.

Yeah, I want more information, too. But what if just talking to the child wasn't enough? What if his child came at him and started to hit him? Sometimes you need to do something to let the child know that their actions are unacceptable.

Disciplinary actions like using a switch is to let the child know that if they did something wrong, you could use it on them. Not that you want to use it on them. I hope that he still talked to his son and explained why it was needed because that's what's important. To teach the child a lesson.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#12 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 pm

My man Knickstape wasn't born in the Caribbean at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

We got hit with switches all the time, sh*t is normal to me. Helped me become a better man to be honest.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by kane2021 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 pm

More from TMZ: "Sources connected to Peterson tell us (that) the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota who was visiting (Peterson) back in May at the running back's Texas home. We're told the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota who noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor. A short time later, the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson."

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports that Peterson's arrest stems from disciplining his son with a switch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... e-in-texas

Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#14 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:48 pm

kane2021 wrote:
More from TMZ: "Sources connected to Peterson tell us (that) the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota who was visiting (Peterson) back in May at the running back's Texas home. We're told the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota who noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor. A short time later, the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson."

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports that Peterson's arrest stems from disciplining his son with a switch.

Lol it's common sense that you can't beat someone else's child. That's absurd if true.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#15 » by kane » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
kane2021 wrote:

Lol it's common sense that you can't beat someone else's child. That's absurd if true.

Yeah if it's not his kid and the parents press charges he could be in big trouble, they are also saying the child is only 4 witch is way to young to need a 'switch'....
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#16 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:50 pm

omerome wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
omerome wrote:A switch doesn't necessarily mean a whip though, it can mean a stick or something. I was disciplined with all sorts of things from belts, slippers, or just regular 'hand to butt' when I was younger and so was a lot of members of my family and friends. It wasn't uncommon.

Yeah, I want more information, too. But what if just talking to the child wasn't enough? What if his child came at him and started to hit him? Sometimes you need to do something to let the child know that their actions are unacceptable.

Disciplinary actions like using a switch is to let the child know that if they did something wrong, you could use it on them. Not that you want to use it on them. I hope that he still talked to his son and explained why it was needed because that's what's important. To teach the child a lesson.

I understand why someone would use a switch, I just don't agree with the use. I think there are other ways to get through to a kid. AP should have known better though than for him to use one -- he's just so strong. Why not spank him, take something away from him, etc. I mean, if a kid is hitting him, do you really think he feels it?

*It has been confirmed -- I was never spanked or hit as a child. Just asked Momma KT.

JBreezeNY wrote:My man Knickstape wasn't born in the Caribbean at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

We got hit with switches all the time, sh*t is normal to me. Helped me become a better man to be honest.

Lived in NY my whole life haha. BUT, I've been to the Caribbean! :lol: :P

kane2021 wrote:

What is it TMZ getting the inside scoop? Also, who the **** hits another family's kid? :-?
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#17 » by Greenie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

It ain't bad like that. I got whooped with switches and belts. Only on the butt. A few wacks put the fear of God in me when I thought about doing sh*t because I new momma had her belt ready to go.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#18 » by Greenie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

kane2021 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

A switch is a tree branch. Its common to make the child pick it.

I would bring back the smallest one I could find. :lol:
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#19 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

greenhughes wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

It ain't bad like that. I got whooped with switches and belts. Only on the butt. A few wacks put the fear of God in me when I thought about doing sh*t because I new momma had her belt ready to go.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQLWnfWqBs[/youtube]
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#20 » by Paradise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:What is it TMZ getting the inside scoop? Also, who the **** hits another family's kid? :-?

To make it look even worse, his son died due to child abuse less than a year ago from another man.

Return to The General NFL Board