Five Random NFL thoughts

Moderator: bwgood77

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Five Random NFL thoughts 

Post#1 » by Icness » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Things that I haven't been able to work into columns or explore as much as I would like.

1. Philip Rivers is a legit MVP candidate. I'm still amazed at what he's done since the start of '13, really thought he was done at the end of '12. He's still a punk but he's playing so consistently strong.

2. The Rams were supposed to have the best defensive line not only in the NFL this year but perhaps NFL history. That's what allegedly smart people at MMQB, Rotoworld and ESPN all hammered to us all summer.

Jared Crick had more sacks (1.5) and QB hurries (4) in the first half of Sunday's game than the Rams DL has in 3 games. And he's not even a pass rusher. He plays for the Texans btw...

3. I did write about this at Bleacher Report, but the condensed version here: Lions are smart to let Suh explore the market instead of setting the market themselves. He expects Watt money. If someone else wants to give him that, smart to let him go. When they don't (and they won't) he'll understand DET's position. I think it's 60/40 he returns.

4. I really don't like what I'm seeing from Drew Brees and the Saints offense. They're predictable and the line isn't very good. Brees appears to have lost a little off his fastball too. Not sure what ails them gets better during the season.

5. Larry Donnell is a great story. He was on a watch list I saw, so I asked a NFL scout about him that spring just to get a starting point as I'd never seen or heard of him before. The scout, who lives in Louisiana not that far from Grambling, told me he hadn't heard of him either, so I never followed up on Donnell. The first time I ever saw him play was that one game he started last year and did nothing. Awesome for him to step up, he sure looks good so far.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Re: Five Random NFL thoughts 

Post#2 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:40 am

1. Can we finally agree with what THE SHOW has been sayin all along? The Patriots are done.

2. Ice...The president is going to lead your boys the Detroit Lions far into the playoffs. Final 4. The problem is getting by Seattle front 7. That's going to be a battle to see if they can do it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#3 » by Higga » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:38 pm

I've always been a big Rivers fan. I'm glad to see he's back into his form after that few year stretch where he'd fallen off. The new Charger offense built more around quick passing has been huge for him.

Yeah I'm not sure Suh is worth BIG money either. He's a great player but I don't think he's Watt. And he's always at risk to get suspended.

I won't count the Saints offense out just yet, but they've always been considerably worse on the road then at home and they've only had one home game so far.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#4 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Every offense that doesn't pay Darren Sproles regresses the following year. It happened to San Diego and now it's happening to New Orleans. He was Drew Brees' safety valve and quite frankly no guy makes more happen from catches out of the the backfield. Brandin Cooks is good, but I think the Saints are expecting too much out of him. They're expecting him to fill Sproles shoes, and that just isn't going to happen.

It also doesn't help that Colston can't separate like he once did. Jimmy Graham is seeing a lot more double coverage, and other guys aren't winning their match ups.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#5 » by reeDfense » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Why is rivers a punk..just wondering?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#6 » by Icness » Thu Oct 2, 2014 1:22 am

reeDfense wrote:Why is rivers a punk..just wondering?

Just the way he carries himself during games. He's a trash-talking QB all the time. I've never met him and his teammates love him, but he bugs the hell out of me.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#7 » by Icness » Thu Oct 2, 2014 1:23 am

Some smart comments on here. Keep it up boys! :rockon:
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#8 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:32 am

Icness, what do you make of the Brady/Pats situation?

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe wrote this:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html

That’s cheap money for the Patriots, but it’s also cheap money for a team desperate for a quarterback — like, say, Houston, where the coach (Bill O’Brien) is a close ally. Or, say, Tampa Bay, where the general manager (Jason Licht) used to work for the Patriots and is close with Belichick.

Trade Brady now? Of course not. But this four-game stretch certainly has opened some eyes about Brady’s level of play.

Do you think the situation is this bad?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#9 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:56 am

Tom Brady isn't going anywhere, and I can say that with 110% confidence. Do people really consider Garoppolo to be a franchise qb? :lol:
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#10 » by reeDfense » Thu Oct 2, 2014 1:49 pm

Icness wrote:

Just the way he carries himself during games. He's a trash-talking QB all the time. I've never met him and his teammates love him, but he bugs the hell out of me.

Oh ok I guess I've never noticed..so Icness what are the chances gruden actually comes to back to Oakland? I know he already said he's not even thinking about coaching...but we have heard that before from other guys then they take a job...is it a smoke screen or do you really think Mark Davis makes it happen?
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#11 » by Yunsen » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:42 am

Gruden would have to be insane to go to Oakland. He can get almost any head coaching job that opens up. I think the best case scenario for him is if the Pats have a down year this year (if anyone in the division steps up) and next year. Belichick retires and Gruden gets free reign of a quality franchise.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#12 » by Icness » Fri Oct 3, 2014 12:42 pm

I don't think Gruden would go back but I won't argue with the angle that it would be the ultimate ego stroke for him. And Gruden has a giant friggin' ego. It might also be the only place he would get absolute power. But no, I'd put it at maybe 3% based on some talks with some Bay Area media guys.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#13 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 3, 2014 8:36 pm

Theres nothing in Oakland for gruden. That ship has sailed long ago, and he won a championship with it. And will in no way have any say so over personnel in Oakland.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#14 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:54 am

The Panthers are bipolar.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 3:45 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:The Panthers are bipolar.

Don't forget the Chicago Bears.

1. Looks like the Wisenhunt and the Titans can't get it right. They are throwing the ball when they should be passing. They are passing the ball when they should be running. With the consistant injuries to QB Jake Locker and his inaccuracies on the field, his time as a Titan should come to a close at season's end. Bring in Zach Mettenberger.

2. Although Halloween is 24 days away, The Nightmare on Gridiron Blvd has been cast: Starting E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith, Jake Locker, Rex Ryan, Saints defense, and the Redskins.

3. Are the Cowboys winning due to an easier schedule or the defense really has it together?

4. Is Steve Smith following in the footsteps of of former Colts WR Marvin Harrison?

5. The real reason why I call the Bengals the Kittens. This team has the tendency to devolve under pressure whenever they play on primetime TV. (2-4) to be precise.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/cincinnati-b ... iots-40-17

In order to become the best, you have to beat the best.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#16 » by studcrackers » Mon Oct 6, 2014 3:59 pm

The cowboys defense is adequate at best, but somehow they've shutout their opponent for a half in 4 of their 5 games ( though the niner game shouldn't really count)

They'll be average if McClain can stay on the field. The times he's gotten hurt, it's really shown a night and day difference. He should be the clear cut most improved player or comeback player or whatever assuming he keeps this up going forward
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 8:13 pm

Icness wrote:Things that I haven't been able to work into columns or explore as much as I would like.

1. Philip Rivers is a legit MVP candidate. I'm still amazed at what he's done since the start of '13, really thought he was done at the end of '12. He's still a punk but he's playing so consistently strong.

5. Larry Donnell is a great story. He was on a watch list I saw, so I asked a NFL scout about him that spring just to get a starting point as I'd never seen or heard of him before. The scout, who lives in Louisiana not that far from Grambling, told me he hadn't heard of him either, so I never followed up on Donnell. The first time I ever saw him play was that one game he started last year and did nothing. Awesome for him to step up, he sure looks good so far.

Rivers has always been great when he has protection. Two and three years ago their offensive line was so putrid that he just didn't have time, particularly because the Norv Turner offense stretches the field so much. Now the line is quite a bit better (despite them losing a Pro Bowl center and their second string center this year), and McCoy's offense is more quick routes and getting rid of the ball perfectly. Chargers do look phenomenal this year. Their only real weakness has been injuries to the centers, Mathews, Woodhead, Teo, Ingram and others. The silver lining is that with Donald Brown having a concussion yesterday, they had to turn to undrafted rookie Branden Oliver, who seriously looks like their best back since Tomlinson. He looks like Darren Sproles on steroids.

Funny you mention Donnell as I was out of options in fantasy so I picked him up before week one and he had decent games the first two weeks. In week three I decided to go with Niles Paul instead since he was also doing well (as was Cousins passing the ball) and Donnell scores three tds of course. This week I put Donnell back in only for him not to have a catch.

Great season so far.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#18 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 8:16 pm

Why do people think he's a punk or why is he really a punk? I don't think he is a punk at all. He's just fiery and animated which can be annoying. He likes to argue with every single call though which really gets annoying. He does like to talk some trash too.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#19 » by studcrackers » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:51 am

it's because of pictures like this. dont tell me you dont wanna punch this face

Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes

Return to The General NFL Board