Young QB that could be the next greatest?

Moderator: bwgood77

The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Re: Young QB that could be the next greatest? 

Post#21 » by The Penguin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:01 am

The concern with Cam is the punishment he takes. He's got every physical tool, but he was really beat up all year long. If he takes that physicality out of his game, does he have enough other abilities to make up for it?

Luck and Wilson feel like cheating.

A truly under the radar guy that I think will have the deck set up nicely is Jimmy Garropolo. He could end up like Rodgers, being able to really learn and develop along with a great coaching staff who will know how to put him in a position to succeed.

As a Bills fan a big part of this is just hope, but Tyrod Taylor might shock some people. He's nearly on the RG3 level when it comes to athletism and is another guy who has learned behind a good QB with a good staff. He may never get the chance behind Cassel/Manuel, but I imagine he's on no ones radar outside of Baltimore/Buffalo.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#22 » by El Turco » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:45 am

rodgers was a top ten prospect that fell due to multitude of reasons, garropolo was never that highly taught. i dont see brady hanging the boots soon either so he likely going to have to look at other teams for opportunity.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#23 » by cl2117 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 am

El Turco wrote:rodgers was a top ten prospect that fell due to multitude of reasons, garropolo was never that highly taught. i dont see brady hanging the boots soon either so he likely going to have to look at other teams for opportunity.

You're right about the difference between Rodgers and Garoppolo in terms of draft stock. Rodgers was a top pick that inexplicably fell to 24 whereas Garoppolo was never viewed as highly (I did see some people suggest that he could be the 3rd QB off the board before Teddy and Carr, but for the most part he was 5th in people's rankings).

I think the two things that have people making the comparison to the Rodgers situation are:
1) He's got a unique opportunity to learn from a HOF QB, which not many guys get these days because they are more often than not thrust into a starting position a little early. So he really has probably one of the better development opportunities.

2) He played really well in the preseason and in the few regular season snaps he got. He outplayed Mallet for the backup job during the preaseason and then during the regular season he led a nice garbage time drive against the Chiefs and had a solid showing in week 17 against the Bills.

So I think people are getting excited at the prospect of him potentially being better than his draft position, but also being able to develop a ton before he gets thrown to the wolves. It's probably an unfair comparison since Rodgers was so much more polished coming out of college, but these days good young QBs are too often forced into the starting role early so when a guy has a chance to hold the clip board with no expectations the comparison will be made.

I think there is a possibility that he might have to go to another team to get a chance, but I don't know if I see Brady playing more than the next 3 years, so I'd say more likely than not he will get a shot with the Patriots either in the final year of his rookie deal or on a new contract (if they like him enough).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#24 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat May 2, 2015 4:43 am

Derek Carr is a possibility.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun May 3, 2015 3:35 am

El Turco wrote:jameis winston is an unreal prospect if he can manage to stop acting like grade schooler

Winston may prove me wrong but I think he's gonna be a flop. At best he's RGIII at worst Ryan Leaf. But TB had no way to get away from the pick, like a guy playing texas holdem' and sitting on a ace/king full house when the other guy just happens to have 4 6's. They were all in at the number one pick he's from FSU they couldn't get away from the pick. I'd be afraid of his character issues and I'm afraid he's gonna implode. I would have risked the rath if I owned the Bucs and traded the pick down for a package of picks and picked a QB in the 3rd round.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun May 3, 2015 3:39 am

Lexluthor wrote:I would pick Wilson over Luck .

I'd like to see the Seahawks get some weapons for Wilson to throw to because if he keeps running so much he's gonna end up getting hurt. I like Luck better and time will tell, and Luck is not done getting better with the new speed burner WR I'm expecting 5000 yards from him this season. Hopefully Frank Gore can add something at RB. 8-)
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun May 3, 2015 3:43 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Luck and Wilson. Cmon, make it a little more difficult. Anyone can choose those 2. One is on the way, and the other has already been to 2 superbowls. Im goin with the Raiders QB Derek Carr. NOW THATS A PICK!

Then the question should be other than Luck and Wilson who's your pick of future great QB's! Given that I'll go with Kapernick.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun May 3, 2015 3:48 am

Latrell wrote:Wow. Looks like RG3 has completely fallen off the map.

Yeah RG3 is gonna have to show something next season or he's looking like that guy the Raiders took from LSU a few years ago, what was his name?
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#29 » by cl2117 » Sun May 3, 2015 11:04 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:I would pick Wilson over Luck .

I'd like to see the Seahawks get some weapons for Wilson to throw to because if he keeps running so much he's gonna end up getting hurt.

The thing I love about Wilson is that he is usually really good about sliding. I think far too many running QBs refuse to go into the slide regularly (like RG3 and Cam) and end up risking their bodies.

In order to be an effective scrambler in this league you need to be able to make all the throws, but also know when to take a hit and when not to. I think way too many young guys out there are taking hits that they would in college, but in the pros are a much bigger risk.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
El Turco

Post#30 » by El Turco » Sun May 3, 2015 5:55 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
El Turco wrote:jameis winston is an unreal prospect if he can manage to stop acting like grade schooler

Winston may prove me wrong but I think he's gonna be a flop. At best he's RGIII at worst Ryan Leaf. But TB had no way to get away from the pick, like a guy playing texas holdem' and sitting on a ace/king full house when the other guy just happens to have 4 6's. They were all in at the number one pick he's from FSU they couldn't get away from the pick. I'd be afraid of his character issues and I'm afraid he's gonna implode. I would have risked the rath if I owned the Bucs and traded the pick down for a package of picks and picked a QB in the 3rd round.

winston and rg III dont have much in common, winston is a much better pocket passer. ignoring his off the field stuff, winston is as good a prospect as luck was and that's a risk worth taking.

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 4, 2015 3:02 am

Winston never put up the college numbers that Luck did and has no where near the maturity level luck showed coming out of Stanford. He might be great someday but If I was running TB I would have traded that pick and not risked looking like a donkey when that kid implodes.
El Turco

Post#32 » by El Turco » Mon May 4, 2015 6:49 am

you are right he didnt, he put up better stats than luck did. maturity is about off the field antics, as a player winston is just as good if not a better prospect than luck. very rare you see elite arm, accuracy and mobility in a qb, and winston has it.

you'd have just as big a chance to look like a donkey for trading a generational quarterback :wink:

Return to The General NFL Board