Offense vs. defense

Moderator: bwgood77

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Offense vs. defense 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:05 pm

Your best defenses have all won Championships, while many of your best offenses have not. For some reason, the experts tend to go with offense. Basketball is the same way. If you're building a team, which do you put priority on?
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Offense vs. defense 

Post#2 » by Higga » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:19 pm

That isn't necessarily true. Great offenses have won quite often. See Rams in '99, Colts in '06, Saints in '09, Packers in '10. Hell the Pats this past year were really more of an offensive team anyway, and the Super Bowl was a high scoring affair.

The one thing you need on D more than anything else is a pass rush or the ability to create turnovers. I don't remember the Rams, but I know those other three teams I listed all had real good pass rushes and/or the ability to force takeaways on D.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#3 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm

The greatest defenses of my lifetime(Bucs, Ravens, Bears) have all won Super Bowls, while I think the two greatest offenses(Patriots, Broncos) lost.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:12 pm

One of the issues for great offenses winning in the playoffs is that they are often confronted with better, more focused, more prepared defenses in the postseason. When they don't score as much, it more negatively impacts their own defenses because they have to play more reps or lose the field position battle. Margin for error is a lot less for a great offense than a great defense in the playoffs.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#5 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:18 pm

i think a great offense pretty much gurantees u the playoffs every year.

but u might loose to a great defensive team whose offense is clicking at the right days come january/february.
im bout dat action boss
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#6 » by RavenMad31 » Tue May 5, 2015 2:13 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Your best defenses have all won Championships, while many of your best offenses have not. For some reason, the experts tend to go with offense. Basketball is the same way. If you're building a team, which do you put priority on?

I put a priority on QB and then Offensive and Defensive Line, so I guess you could say offense, but maybe not in the way you were thinking. If you hit on a damn good QB and give him time, then the skill positions become pretty disposable. On defense, a stout line that can create pressure without blitz packages makes everything else fall into place for the LBs and DBs to do their thing.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 5, 2015 4:34 pm

It really comes down to who you have at QB. If you happen to get a franchise QB, I'd definitely focus on offense to maximize the QB's potential.

If you do not have a great QB, you better have a damn good defense (Bucs, Ravens, Bears as you mentioned).
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#8 » by RavenMad31 » Tue May 5, 2015 7:58 pm

Icness wrote:One of the issues for great offenses winning in the playoffs is that they are often confronted with better, more focused, more prepared defenses in the postseason. When they don't score as much, it more negatively impacts their own defenses because they have to play more reps or lose the field position battle. Margin for error is a lot less for a great offense than a great defense in the playoffs.

I would add that weather can become a factor too. Aikman struggled with a wet ball, Peyton Manning can't play in the cold, etc.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 15, 2015 3:13 am

I miss the great defensive battles back in the 70's when we had final scores of 13 - 10.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:The greatest defenses of my lifetime(Bucs, Ravens, Bears) have all won Super Bowls, while I think the two greatest offenses(Patriots, Broncos) lost.

Love those picks and don't disagree. However you left out the Steel curtain of the 70's. No mention of Doomsday I or Doomsday II. In a 17 year span, 5 super bowl appearances, 12 NFC Championship appearances, 12 divisional titles, never a losing season and only missed the playoffs once in 20 years.

Return to The General NFL Board