Entertainment Teams Vs Contending Teams

Moderator: bwgood77

Disabled Sports
Junior
And1: 711

Entertainment Teams Vs Contending Teams 

Post#1 » by Disabled Sports » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Over the last decade, the mainstream sports media has failed to separate the difference between real contending teams for the champions and teams that are fun to watch also known as entertainment teams. Most of the media believes that as long as a team has a very good to great quarterback that they’re an instant contender when actually this is rarely the case.

A real contending team should have a good to very good offensive line who can hold their blocks for enough time so that the quarterback has time to make proper reads and a good throw to the wide receiver if they are unable to do this the quarterback most likely will feel pressure from the defensive line and either throw the ball up before he wants to or take a sack. This team also needs a decent to good running game who will force the defense to put more men in the box which means more man to coverage which leads to easier catches for them. Lastly, a real contending team needs a decent to good front 7 or back 4 on defense. If the defense has a good front 7 they will apply constant pressure to the quarterback and will force the quarterback to either throw the ball up before he wants to or take a sack. If the defense has a good back 4 the defensive line will get many coverage sacks because the cornerbacks and /or safeties are normally able to keep up with the wide receiver for longer than 3-5 seconds.

On the other hand, an entertainment team can be described as a team who depends on a great quarterback and 1 or 2 good to great wide receivers to lead the team to victory. This philosophy tends to work throughout the regular season because most of these teams only face 2-3 very good to great defense in the regular season. As a result of this, the very good to great quarterbacks on these teams will have enough time to sit in the pocket and analyze the field to make a good throw or the offensive coordinator will design a quick passing game that allows the quarterback to release the ball quickly before the pressure gets to him. This gives the offense the opportunity to mask the other deficiencies that the team has by throwing the ball all over the field and scoring a lot of points.

However when these teams reach the playoffs, they ultimately will come up short because their offensive line will not be able to hold their blocks for enough time so that the quarterback has time to make proper reads and a good throw to the wide receivers. As a result of this, the quarterback will feel pressure from the defensive line and either throw the ball up before he wants to or take a sack. This will put the defense on the field for more time which increases the probability that the opposing offense will score more points due to fatigue and/or overexposure of the defense.

http://disabledsports.sportsblog.com/posts/3518213/nfl--entertainment-teams-vs-contending-teams.html
Read on Twitter
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Re: Entertainment Teams Vs Contending Teams 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:55 pm

NFC entertainment teams; Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Giants and Cardinals.

NFC contending teams; Packers, Cowboys, Seattle and St. Louis.

AFC Entertainment teams; Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Diego and all teams in AFC east not named the Patriots. It must be embarrassing for all of those teams to let the Patriots dominate that division for over a decade.

AFC contending teams; Houston, Colts, Denver and Kansas City.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#3 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:30 am

i dont get any of this. if high scoring means entertaining than packers, cowboys, seahawks are all entertaining. they are also the three biggest contenders in nfc. same thing in afc, highest scoring teams are broncos, patriots, steelers, colts and guess which teams have the best odds to come out of afc?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#4 » by Higga » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Being good doesn't necessarily mean you'll be entertaining, but just about every entertaining team is at least pretty good.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Disabled Sports
Junior

Post#5 » by Disabled Sports » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:47 pm

El Turco wrote:i dont get any of this. if high scoring means entertaining than packers, cowboys, seahawks are all entertaining. they are also the three biggest contenders in nfc. same thing in afc, highest scoring teams are broncos, patriots, steelers, colts and guess which teams have the best odds to come out of afc?

this year i would put the Patriots in the Entertaining teams just because they lost a ton of firepower on defense: revis, browner, wilfork and the colts as well because their secondary is bad

Read on Twitter
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#6 » by El Turco » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

So now you are saying bad defense equals to entertainment, so tampa, jacksonville, tennessee are all entertaining?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Disabled Sports
Junior

Post#7 » by Disabled Sports » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 am

El Turco wrote:So now you are saying bad defense equals to entertainment, so tampa, jacksonville, tennessee are all entertaining?

entertainment are teams that can put up a lot of points but may have a bad defense or oline that won't allow them to contend for title

Read on Twitter
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#8 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:34 am

Reggie Bush has left the building. Meaning, Detroit will definitely no longer be entertaining!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#9 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I think what he is saying is that certain teams like to make free agency splash signings, a prima donna WR, maybe a coach that does a fun press conference...I think it's almost something that is easier to spot than describe. I just think he was a little off when he was naming examples.
Atlanta is for sure an "entertainment" team. The Bengals, often the Cowboys, the Redskins, Vikings seem to always fall in this category, Miami, Detroit, the Raiders, Jets...all more entertainment teams.
Pats, Ravens, Packers, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Niners (even though they are going to suck this year), Giants, Broncos...all examples of teams that, when they make a personnel move, it more often than not seems to make some kind of football sense instead of being an attention grab.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 am

NFC Contenders: Hawks, Cardinals, Packers, Lions, Cowboys

AFC Contenders: Broncos, Colts, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers

Entertainment Teams: Everyone else
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#11 » by Maf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I follow NFL for only two seasons. Last year I tried to watch at least three to four games a week.
I don't want to discuss if these teams are contending or not, just telling who I enjoyed.

Broncos, obviously. Followed by Packers. Rodgers, Lacy, (not sure) Matthews? Very enjoyable.
Third one might be surprise but I was shocked how much fun I had watching Eagles. Chip's offense is very surprising at the moment,
often tried to go on fourth downs. They sucked but I could watch them.
Honorable mention- Seahawks (mainly due to Sherman), Steelers, Cowboys kinda. And yes, Atlanta too. And Saints.

Who I can't watch. Giants. Andy Dalton. Jay Cutler (not teams but I don't like these two too much)
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
Disabled Sports
Junior

Post#12 » by Disabled Sports » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Even though i did not have the Carolina Panthers as a contending team before the season they do fit my criteria

Read on Twitter

Return to The General NFL Board