AFC West

Moderators: bwgood77, Icness

Who will win the division next season?

Broncos
0
No votes
Chargers
0
No votes
Chiefs
2
100%
Raiders
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 2

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

AFC West 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 11:50 pm

Brandon Mebane is no typical veteran.

That much has been clear for some time.

The nose tackle arrived this spring, emitting experience acquired during nine seasons in Seattle. He twice has been to a Super Bowl. Once, he's won. The track record helped him establish credibility among teammates, something he tactfully has used at select times in an attempt to strike a chord and inspire them.

Clearly, those moments are landing.

Chargers players voted for their team captains Monday. Mebane is one of them despite having spent just a few months with the club. Inside linebacker Manti Te'o joins Mebane as defensive captains. Quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates are offensive captains with safety Darrell Stuckey the selection on special teams.

Mebane has become a leader in short order.

In April, he gushed about his new defense publicly, telling reporters that the Chargers have more defensive talent than the Seahawks. He cited the number of first- and second-round draft picks on the San Diego roster compared to that of Seattle.

It'd be one thing for a young, unproven player to say that.

It was another coming from Mebane.

Likewise, before the Chargers' second exhibition against the Cardinals last month, Mebane addressed the entire team in the locker room. He spoke about having a championship mindset, how even in the preseason players should hold themselves to that standard and exude it on the field. He then started a "Champs! Champs!" chant before players broke huddle and left the locker room.

"He got us all wired up before we went out there," cornerback Jason Verrett said. "He comes from that Super Bowl mentality. ... He was just in the locker room preaching."

"A lot of people don't understand that it's not only his contributions on the football field," Te'o said. It's times like those. It's his contributions in the locker room. It means something when it comes from him with his track record, the success that he's had and the team he came from. When he speaks, everyone listens."

Te'o is a first-time captain in his fourth season.

Rivers has been voted a captain in all 11 of his seasons as a starter. Both of Gates' career selections have come in the past two seasons. For Stuckey, this is his fifth straight year.

Mebane became the first Charger to be named captain in his first season with the franchise since linebacker Takeo Spikes in 2011.


To read more from Michael Gehlken visit here: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/chargers-captains-brandon-mebane/
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,598
And1: 2,580
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Brandon Mebane is no typical veteran.

That much has been clear for some time.

The nose tackle arrived this spring, emitting experience acquired during nine seasons in Seattle. He twice has been to a Super Bowl. Once, he's won. The track record helped him establish credibility among teammates, something he tactfully has used at select times in an attempt to strike a chord and inspire them.

Clearly, those moments are landing.

Chargers players voted for their team captains Monday. Mebane is one of them despite having spent just a few months with the club. Inside linebacker Manti Te'o joins Mebane as defensive captains. Quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates are offensive captains with safety Darrell Stuckey the selection on special teams.

Mebane has become a leader in short order.

In April, he gushed about his new defense publicly, telling reporters that the Chargers have more defensive talent than the Seahawks. He cited the number of first- and second-round draft picks on the San Diego roster compared to that of Seattle.

It'd be one thing for a young, unproven player to say that.

It was another coming from Mebane.

Likewise, before the Chargers' second exhibition against the Cardinals last month, Mebane addressed the entire team in the locker room. He spoke about having a championship mindset, how even in the preseason players should hold themselves to that standard and exude it on the field. He then started a "Champs! Champs!" chant before players broke huddle and left the locker room.

"He got us all wired up before we went out there," cornerback Jason Verrett said. "He comes from that Super Bowl mentality. ... He was just in the locker room preaching."

"A lot of people don't understand that it's not only his contributions on the football field," Te'o said. It's times like those. It's his contributions in the locker room. It means something when it comes from him with his track record, the success that he's had and the team he came from. When he speaks, everyone listens."

Te'o is a first-time captain in his fourth season.

Rivers has been voted a captain in all 11 of his seasons as a starter. Both of Gates' career selections have come in the past two seasons. For Stuckey, this is his fifth straight year.

Mebane became the first Charger to be named captain in his first season with the franchise since linebacker Takeo Spikes in 2011.


To read more from Michael Gehlken visit here: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/chargers-captains-brandon-mebane/

Great guy. On the wrong side of 30 tho. Hopefully, he can stay healthy for you guys.
Seattle Supersonics / Warriors (7/4/16)
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:08 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Great guy. On the wrong side of 30 tho. Hopefully, he can stay healthy for you guys.


I honestly can't believe he said we have more talent than you guys though. That sounded crazy. We do have a lot of talent. As in "we", I mean the San Diego Chargers and am not on the team if anyone happens to get confused by that comment. And to my knowledge, Cactus Jack is not a member of the Seahawks and just a fan.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 497
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:10 am

I have Kansas City running away with the AFC West this year.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:47 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I have Kansas City running away with the AFC West this year.


Well I hope you are wrong. So there!
User avatar
Ayatollah
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,855
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 04, 2009
Location: Southern Germany
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#6 » by Ayatollah » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:07 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I have Kansas City running away with the AFC West this year.

I think they suck this year with all those contract issues and injuries...
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 497
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:05 pm

Injuries will be the only reason why Kansas City isn't in the AFC Championship game. Chief's are easily one of the top 3 teams in the AFC. Plus all my early prop bets are in and I can't change or won't change my picks. Season will change every few weeks however like it does every year when each team loses players for whatever reason. Ill adjust as the season progresses like everyone else. But last night I finished all my early prop bets going into the season. Going into this week and week 1 of the football season, after 3 weeks of research etc., I came up with my 3 top teams with 1 possible sleeper in each conference and built my early prop bets around those teams. Top 3 teams I ended up with in AFC are; Kansas City, New England, Cincinnati and Jacksonville as a sleeper. In the NFC I'm sticking with Minnesota, Green Bay and Seattle and Dallas as a sleeper. And I didn't pick my Cowboys because I am a fan. Cowboys are loaded on offense with a lot of talent. One of these days we will win despite cancer Jerry Jones. Health will be a key issue for sure, but if Marannelli can get anything from our defense, Cowboys could be a very dangerous team Cactus Jack won't want his team playing come playoff time. He knows it to.
User avatar
Ayatollah
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,855
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 04, 2009
Location: Southern Germany
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#8 » by Ayatollah » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:10 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Injuries will be the only reason why Kansas City isn't in the AFC Championship game. Chief's are easily one of the top 3 teams in the AFC. Plus all my early prop bets are in and I can't change or won't change my picks. Season will change every few weeks however like it does every year when each team loses players for whatever reason. Ill adjust as the season progresses like everyone else. But last night I finished all my early prop bets going into the season. Going into this week and week 1 of the football season, after 3 weeks of research etc., I came up with my 3 top teams with 1 possible sleeper in each conference and built my early prop bets around those teams. Top 3 teams I ended up with in AFC are; Kansas City, New England, Cincinnati and Jacksonville as a sleeper. In the NFC I'm sticking with Minnesota, Green Bay and Seattle and Dallas as a sleeper. And I didn't pick my Cowboys because I am a fan. Cowboys are loaded on offense with a lot of talent. One of these days we will win despite cancer Jerry Jones. Health will be a key issue for sure, but if Marannelli can get anything from our defense, Cowboys could be a very dangerous team Cactus Jack won't want his team playing come playoff time. He knows it to.

Like I said earlier I think those contract issues with Poe and especially Berry could be problem as well imo beside the fact that Justin Houston will miss most of the season. Broncos still a very good team and the Raiders upgraded their squad significantly, for me, it won´t be a surprise if the Chiefs´season ends after the regular season.
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,956
And1: 18,741
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#9 » by Arda K » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:26 pm

chiefs will miss the playoffs if they dont get healthy quick. mr. checkdown not the type that can carry a team.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 497
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:29 pm

Denver will take a huge step back this year. Their defense is still top notch, but they will burn out from being out on the field most of the time this season. Denver with a rookie QB, please. Raiders are still 2 young and I have questions with some of these new guys they brought in. Raiders looking good but I need to see more before I jump on their band wagon. Also saw that the Raiders had a few updated injuries last night. Looks like they just lost their starting DT for the first 8 weeks of the season. San Diego will suffer till they can figure out as an organization, what the hell they are going to do from top to bottom, and I mean organizationally.
Nevertheless all my early prop bets are in and I'm sticking with them. Season starts this week and the only thing on my mind the remainder of the week is beating the pussy-assed Giants with their immature, punk thug receiver Beckham, their inept O-line and running game and last place defense from last year. Giants didn't improve much on defense as they took 2 thugs and reject left overs from the Egals and Miami. Plus Eli is a girls name.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:31 pm

Antonio Gates has the age to be sage.

That is good and bad for those of us who don’t want to contemplate the Chargers without him.

“It’s so hard to say,” Gates said when asked if this season would be the last before he hangs it up and awaits the call from Canton. “It’s getting close. I don’t know how close. I think about it more now than I ever did. I talk about it more now than I ever did. Days come up and I’m like, ‘Oh man, I don’t know.’ “

For now, Gates is preparing to play as well as he can as much as he can.

How long he plays will be something he determines based on how the first two go.

“If I can find some way to get the most out of me, that in my mind is efficient enough, where I feel I’m playing at a level I’m comfortable with,” he said when asked the considerations he will make in deciding whether to play beyond this season. “I’ve never come off the bench. I’ve never not contributed. So if it ever got to that point where I am not doing that, I don’t know how I would feel as a person. All that stuff is still remaining to be seen when I play.”

Gates is seven touchdowns from tying Tony Gonzalez’s career record of 111 touchdowns. He is aware of the mark, wants to set a new one. The Super Bowl ring he thought he’d long ago have is about the only other thing for which he has to strive.

But there is something else he knows he must accomplish this season. It has to come first, and it has to happen week after week.

Basically, just as was the case last year, Gates is going to have prove to himself he is still Antonio Gates.

“Sometimes understanding is the biggest thing you face -- just being able to understand what you can do and can’t do and being happy with what you’ve done,” Gates said. “… For me, it’s about still playing well and being productive. And at the same time, winning a Super Bowl is the priority. So I have some things I can get done. I feel like if I get utilized in the right way, in the right manner, the right amount of times, I can still help win football games.”

Gates, who was suspended the first four games of last season for a failed PED test and also suffered the first knee injury of his career (MCL strain) in October, played his fewest games (11) since 2010 and made the fewest starts (four) of his career. His 56 receptions and 630 yards were his lowest totals since 2012.

He still required an extra man to cover him in some situations, still outmanuevered a number of safeties and made a lot of linebackers look lumbering. He remains Philip Rivers’ intrinsic fallback and instinctive go-to.

That’s why, while Gates practiced more than usual during training camp, he did not play a single preseason snap for the first time in his career. The goal, Mike McCoy said, was to get Gates to the season opener as fresh as possible.

How long that will last can’t be predicted.

He is 36-years-old. With a lower body that feels some days the way a 70-year-old’s might. A 70-year-old crash test dummy.

His hands aren’t consistently magnetic anymore. He is sometimes a half-step behind. His body positioning, once practically indefensible, is more than occasionally neutralized.

Now, there was a period of about a decade where Gates’ ability to get open and make the improbable catch was unmatched. So any comparison to that version is going to come up lacking. And the knowledge he has amassed in 190 games and his comfortableness with Rivers and in the Chargers’ offense certainly help him maintain an edge against many opponents.

But one of Gates’s favorite sayings is about Father Time being undefeated.

Gates sometimes mentions his resepct for Jerry Rice and Darryl Green, who respectively played 21 and 20 seasons. He told Pete Metzelaars, his position coach the previous two seasons, he was going to match his 16 seasons as an NFL tight end.

Being audacious enough to read between the lines, though, it seems clear Gates won’t challenge any of those marks.

“I’m on third base coming home,” he said. “Last year was one of those years I didn’t know what the year was going to be like, whether I was going to come back or not. A lot of it has to do with the process – Do I enjoy going through the process to play? … If ever I get to the point where I’m just here, that’s probably the calling to the end – if I am ever OK just being a guy.”

The Chargers drafted Hunter Henry in the second round and his spring and summer performance has everyone, including Gates, excited about his being the tight end of the future. Henry will play a lot this season. If that ends up being in place of Gates rather than as a complement, there will be little need to ask Gates about 2017.

“Some guys still play and they get paid and yet they don’t have the same role,” he said. “I don’t know if I can actually do that.”

To be ready, Gates will do as he always has. A man doesn’t play this long through the injuries Gates has without knowing his body. He will not practice some days. His snaps will be limited in some fashion.

“It’s all about me being able to be ready and do the things I do,” he said. “Or that I’m hoping I can still do.”

That is the wisdom that comes with age. Unfortunately.


http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/gates-only-committed-to-playing-at-a-high-level/
User avatar
Dirk Nowitzki
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Posts: 5,025
And1: 10,243
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#12 » by Dirk Nowitzki » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:00 pm

I love watching Philip Rivers dink and dunk, but he/they (Chargers) seem to be undermanned way too many times. Talent wise they are inferior to every team in the division.

The Raiders are primed to take a big step this year. I will give the edge to the Chiefs on the back of their unreal streak last year. The ironic thing is that the Broncos were pretty bad last year at QB/offence and still won it all. It's not unrealistic to expect the young guy to play up to or better than Manning did last year.
User avatar
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,981
And1: 4,252
Joined: May 06, 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#13 » by Latrell » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:30 pm

Best division in the NFL. There isn't a team in this div I don't like.

To be honest I think the defending champion Broncos could easily finish last.
Image
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:33 pm

Latrell wrote:Best division in the NFL. There isn't a team in this div I don't like.

To be honest I think the defending champion Broncos could easily finish last.


My favorite too, for obvious reasons, but I always thought AFC West divisional games were the best games to watch. Almost always exciting, and it will be a dog fight this year. It kind of feels like the Chargers could be like the Suns 3 years ago and we WAY better than anyone thought.
User avatar
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,981
And1: 4,252
Joined: May 06, 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#15 » by Latrell » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Latrell wrote:Best division in the NFL. There isn't a team in this div I don't like.

To be honest I think the defending champion Broncos could easily finish last.


My favorite too, for obvious reasons, but I always thought AFC West divisional games were the best games to watch. Almost always exciting, and it will be a dog fight this year. It kind of feels like the Chargers could be like the Suns 3 years ago and we WAY better than anyone thought.


I agree about the Chargers. Everyone is sleeping on them. I think they'll at least be semi-relevant.

Can't wait for those Chargers/Raiders games this year, that's for sure.
Image
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,063
And1: 957
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: AFC West 

Post#16 » by bleu » Wed Sep 7, 2016 4:16 am

I feel like a lot of people are severely underrating the Denver Broncos. I hate their guts, they are my least favorite team in the NFL. But I don't think they are a "mediocre" team, even with inexperienced Trevor Siemian at the helm. I personally think Kansas City wins the division, but I still think that Denver finishes a close second.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 497
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I have Kansas City running away with the AFC West this year.


Well I hope you are wrong. So there!

Too late. I already have them to win the division, make the AFC Championship games and just in case I also have them in a couple early super bowl prop bets.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,598
And1: 2,580
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#18 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 7, 2016 8:17 pm

What if Eli never pulls an Elway on San Diego? A behind the scenes look at that draft (2004).

Big Ben almost ended up with the Giants? Rivers to Pittsburgh? Really fascinating stuff.

Seattle Supersonics / Warriors (7/4/16)
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 31,195
And1: 11,667
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: AFC West 

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 4:41 am

Cactus Jack wrote:What if Eli never pulls an Elway on San Diego? A behind the scenes look at that draft (2004).

Big Ben almost ended up with the Giants? Rivers to Pittsburgh? Really fascinating stuff.


So happy San Diego ended up with Rivers. I can't stand the other two.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,598
And1: 2,580
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
     

Re: AFC West 

Post#20 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 8, 2016 4:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:What if Eli never pulls an Elway on San Diego? A behind the scenes look at that draft (2004).

Big Ben almost ended up with the Giants? Rivers to Pittsburgh? Really fascinating stuff.


So happy San Diego ended up with Rivers. I can't stand the other two.

I don't blame you lol. Eli always looks miserable. I wouldn't mind Ben tho.

Image
Seattle Supersonics / Warriors (7/4/16)

Return to The General NFL Board