The perfect quarterback

Moderators: bwgood77, Icness

Celtsfan1980
Analyst
Posts: 3,484
And1: 125
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

The perfect quarterback 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 5:03 pm

Drew Brees had everything going for him except for a defense. Only the most important part of a quarterback's supporting cast. We'll never know whether Brees was the perfect quarterback, but the rare one on this list who had legitimate potential.
I wish Montana had passed more, and I do think there was luck involved to win a few Super Bowls. Close but not perfect.
I'll give Rodgers a few more years. There is potential if he can have some amazing playoff games.
Brady's playoff stats are nothing spectacular. Not close to perfect.
Young, Manning, and Favre:poor playoff performances far too often.
Watching some old Broncos playoff games leaves me very unimpressed with Elway. Poor decisions, poor accuracy.
Without his supporting cast Bradshaw would be forgotten about today. It's hard to judge Aikman because of his supporting cast.
It's looking like the next two drafts are underwhelming for quarterbacks. Let's say civilization(and football) lasts 40 more years. Do we ever find the perfect quarterback?
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,122
And1: 995
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#2 » by bleu » Mon Jan 2, 2017 2:32 am

That is an interesting thought. Brees will go down as one of the most underrated quarterbacks in history. I fully believe he may be in the GOAT conversation if he were surrounded with more talent during his career. I don't believe that there is such a thing as a "perfect quarterback", but in my lifetime the closest thing I've seen is Tom Brady. That man can do no wrong.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 12,091
And1: 2,262
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#3 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:20 pm

Probably Brady . His quick release is literally a better verison of handing the football to RB. I've seen something like that before.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,218
And1: 553
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:04 pm

Someone forgot to mention Roger Staubach.
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,122
And1: 995
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#5 » by bleu » Tue Jan 3, 2017 7:07 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Someone forgot to mention Roger Staubach.


That's because none of us are a thousand years old :lol: :wink:
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 8,181
And1: 3,523
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
   

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 3, 2017 9:07 am

bleu wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Someone forgot to mention Roger Staubach.


That's because none of us are a thousand years old :lol: :wink:

Staubach who? :lol:
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY

Shock Defeat wrote:Karma for Clay Bennett, the snake who took the team away from Seattle.
Celtsfan1980
Analyst
Posts: 3,484
And1: 125
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#7 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 10:37 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Probably Brady . His quick release is literally a better verison of handing the football to RB. I've seen something like that before.

Brady's 88 rating in the playoffs is not much better than Steve Young(considered by many a choker). He could have two very good playoffs resulting in six Super Bowl victories and he still wouldn't be perfect. If you're winning a Super Bowl at 40 it means you're lucky more than anything. His defense carried him in his first two wins. Rodgers, Brees, and Montana should be in the discussion, and I'd say Russell Wilson has potential to be better than Brady when his career is done.
User avatar
jackwindham
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,682
And1: 729
Joined: Sep 14, 2009

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#8 » by jackwindham » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:29 am

I wouldn't say that he was perfect because his mobility wasn't all that high, but Manning was a damn good quarterback. One of the smartest NFL players of all time. He saw things on defense well before the ball was snapped. Quite the leader as well.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,218
And1: 553
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:51 pm

Staubach and Montana. Nobody I have seen since, comes close.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 203
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#10 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:25 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Drew Brees had everything going for him except for a defense. Only the most important part of a quarterback's supporting cast. We'll never know whether Brees was the perfect quarterback, but the rare one on this list who had legitimate potential.
I wish Montana had passed more, and I do think there was luck involved to win a few Super Bowls. Close but not perfect.
I'll give Rodgers a few more years. There is potential if he can have some amazing playoff games.
Brady's playoff stats are nothing spectacular. Not close to perfect.
Young, Manning, and Favre:poor playoff performances far too often.
Watching some old Broncos playoff games leaves me very unimpressed with Elway. Poor decisions, poor accuracy.
Without his supporting cast Bradshaw would be forgotten about today. It's hard to judge Aikman because of his supporting cast.
It's looking like the next two drafts are underwhelming for quarterbacks. Let's say civilization(and football) lasts 40 more years. Do we ever find the perfect quarterback?

In other words there has never been a great QB ever in the history of the NFL. :rofl:
Seriously though, you should first lay out the criteria for what you consider a perfect QB.
I'd say Montana didn't have arm strength and benefitted from a revolutionary offensive system. The guy was accurate as a laser and rarely got rattled. Brady is essentially Montana with better longevity, arm strength, size and stats. Make no mistake. Steve Young was a great QB. Manning and Favre either shrunk or just plain choked in playoff games too much, you are correct.
Keep in mind that Elway and Bradshaw played in an era where the standard of accuracy wasn't what it is today. Bradshaw did almost lose out the starting job to a heroin addict though. Elway dragged a JV squad to the sacrificial alter in their three 80s appearances. The fact he even got them there is a testament to his greatness.
We've seen enough of Rodgers to know what we've got. He's great. There is no flaw in his game.
Brees is as great as anyone all time also. Your point about the defense is also why we need to stop counting rings as a major factor in a QB''s greatness. It's bad enough when it's done in basketball talk where a player is 1/5 of the team, but a QB is exactly 1/22 of a team's starting roster not counting special teams. Ring counting is dumb and lazy. So is considering making it to a championship game and losing somehow worse than not going at all. Marino is as good as any QB to ever play and he has no rings. Manning has two rings, but practically lost his starting job to freaking Brock Osweiler on his way to a second one. I'd like it if Brees was a little taller and maybe a little livlier in the arm, but he's as close to perfect as just about any QB in history.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 203
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#11 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:27 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Staubach and Montana. Nobody I have seen since, comes close.

Danny White. Lol.
Celtsfan1980
Analyst
Posts: 3,484
And1: 125
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#12 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 pm

A perfect quarterback must be a great quarterback in the regular season and playoffs. Preferably with some mobility. No flaws, and great to the point that few people disagree that they are the greatest. The Michael Jordan of quarterbacks. Montana could have won more Championships with better health, and Brady is capable of winning more than 4. With a good supporting cast(especially defense) and some luck with health a quarterback is capable of winning 7 Super Bowls or more. In the beginning they rely more on their defense(similar to Brady and Montana), then they peak later and can win a few more Super Bowls. If football lasts a long time I expect it to happen.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 203
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#13 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:35 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:A perfect quarterback must be a great quarterback in the regular season and playoffs. Preferably with some mobility. No flaws, and great to the point that few people disagree that they are the greatest. The Michael Jordan of quarterbacks. Montana could have won more Championships with better health, and Brady is capable of winning more than 4. With a good supporting cast(especially defense) and some luck with health a quarterback is capable of winning 7 Super Bowls or more. In the beginning they rely more on their defense(similar to Brady and Montana), then they peak later and can win a few more Super Bowls. If football lasts a long time I expect it to happen.


You are placing the bar at a point where a QB is expected to win almost twice as many championships as any QB ever has in a league which is more tilted toward parity than it ever has been. You are making no allowances for a QB who may NOT be blessed with a good supporting cast. (Andrew Luck, Dan Marino, early Elway...) You're also implying that ring counting is the single most important quality in a QB...well, that and the ability to scramble. I'll take a quick, accurate release over a scrambler, but that's my personal preference. Ultimately, the notion of there being a perfect QB is a tricky, if not impossible notion. I'd say Brady is "perfect". so is Rodgers, Luck, Brees maybe even Rivers or Roethlisberger. Kurt Warner was pretty damn perfect. Peyton Manning and Favre were nearly perfect.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,884
And1: 780
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 am

RavenMad31 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Staubach and Montana. Nobody I have seen since, comes close.

Danny White. Lol.


#Potshot
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,218
And1: 553
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:40 pm

At least he didn't say Craig Morton, lol.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 203
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#16 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:19 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Staubach and Montana. Nobody I have seen since, comes close.

Danny White. Lol.


#Potshot

I had a grin of devious pride when I sent that. I also looked at his numbers afterward and was a little bit impressed.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 203
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#17 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:20 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:At least he didn't say Craig Morton, lol.

I thought he was good when I was a kid. I was wrong.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,884
And1: 780
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 1, 2017 9:17 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:Danny White. Lol.


#Potshot

I had a grin of devious pride when I sent that. I also looked at his numbers afterward and was a little bit impressed.


I never totally blamed him for those NFC Championship letdowns. Only game they weren't really in was the Eagles game. The Niners game... what can you say? Joe effin' Montana overcame 6 damn turnovers!

And after rewatching the 1982 game between the Cowboys and Redskins, I remember why I hated Rod Hill. I hate him again. He was the epitome of what Jimmy Johnson said years later... "Kick me in the head if I ever draft another dumb football player".
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,218
And1: 553
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 1, 2017 9:23 pm

And I thought I was passionate about America's Team, Wow Otis.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,884
And1: 780
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: The perfect quarterback 

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 1, 2017 9:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:And I thought I was passionate about America's Team, Wow Otis.


Rod Hill Sucked!



44:00:00 - Muff
49:00:00 - should have been a Redskin TD

Idiot.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to The General NFL Board