San Francisco 49ers clean house

Moderator: bwgood77

jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

San Francisco 49ers clean house 

Post#1 » by jackwindham » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:17 pm

In a move that doesn't come as a complete shock, the San Francisco 49ers have decided to clean house. General manager Trent Baalke has officially been fired. Surprisingly, he confesses that it is the right move for the franchise. Despite being on board for just one year, Chip Kelly was also fired as the head coach. The Niners wanted the new general manager to have the power of bringing in his own head coach.

Was this the right move for San Francisco? Who should replace Baalke and Kelly?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,279

Re: San Francisco 49ers clean house 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:40 pm

They need more than just a GM and Head Coach. Should be interesting to see how that want to proceed. Its going to be 3-5 years before they are in the conversation again and that's if they start getting things right.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:12 pm

The problem is Jed York & the York family. He's still calling the shots. Which is bad news for Niners fans. :D
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:05 pm

It was absolutely the right move and in the case of Baalke, about three years too late. Cost them Harbaugh.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#5 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:54 pm

That redshirt Freshmen from USC must land in the 49ers lap 2 years from now if things are going get better. In the mean time improve defense and offensive line. No room for slow development through the draft. Better head east for HC a OC from Patriots. McDaniels might be the one fix the 49ers offense . They should bring in a top defensive coordinator.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#6 » by dr3am » Tue Jan 3, 2017 6:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:The problem is Jed York & the York family. He's still calling the shots. Which is bad news for Niners fans. :D

Nah it was clearly Trent Baalke. We'll be back within the next 2 years to run the NFC West again :D :P
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 3, 2017 11:48 pm

dr3am wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The problem is Jed York & the York family. He's still calling the shots. Which is bad news for Niners fans. :D

Nah it was clearly Trent Baalke. We'll be back within the next 2 years to run the NFC West again :D :P

Well atleast you have a sense of humor bout it.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#8 » by dr3am » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:07 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
dr3am wrote:

I was actually serious.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:08 am

dr3am wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
dr3am wrote:Nah it was clearly Trent Baalke. We'll be back within the next 2 years to run the NFC West again :D :P

I was actually serious.

jackwindham
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by jackwindham » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:24 am

No room for slow development through the draft? That's exactly how the team should rebuild. They shouldn't hire a general manager that lacks the patience to do things the right away. If they start spending big money on free agents, then that's just going to be a band aid. Niners need someone with long term vision to take over.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#11 » by goober » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:53 pm

Jed York sucks, but if there's an actual GM in place that isn't a pushover like Baalke i think the 49ers will be okay (FWIW i've heard York will lose some power in the organization, don't know how true that is)
jackwindham
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by jackwindham » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:36 pm

Was Baalke really a pushover? From a lot of things that I hear, he was quite the power hungry type. Some even felt that it went straight to his head, which is why it was so surprising that he said the Niners made the right move to fire him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:56 pm

Bad Owners Make for Bad Franchises

After firing Jim Harbaugh, the 49ers have made lots of cash off the field, but on it, they've been a swirling pool of poo. The biggest reason for that is York...There is a sense that in San Francisco and Buffalo in particular, ownership will make the same errors they've made before. York is not highly thought of around the NFL for his football knowledge, which spurred a collective chuckle in league circles when York quipped that owners can't be fired.

Here's one more example of what happens with bad ownership. The 49ers may owe as much as $69 million, to past coaches they've fired over the last three seasons alone, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter (via CBSSports.com's Will Brinson). When I queried people around the sport, they could not remember the last time a team owed so much money to past head coaches in such a short span.

Consider this from The MMQB's Albert Breer: There have been 45 coaching changes over the past six years, and 25 of the NFL's 32 teams have accounted for those changes.

The seven not on that list—the Bengals, Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Saints, Seahawks and Steelers—all have something in common: good, stable ownership. Yes, that includes the Bengals and Saints, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684827-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-in-the-nfl-bad-owners-make-for-bad-franchises
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:10 pm

Goober wrote:Jed York sucks, but if there's an actual GM in place that isn't a pushover like Baalke i think the 49ers will be okay (FWIW I've heard York will lose some power in the organization, don't know how true that is)

49ers Jed York on latest firings: ‘I own this football team. You don’t dismiss owners’

Return to The General NFL Board