Free Agency 2017

Moderators: bwgood77, Icness

User avatar
Ayatollah
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,986
And1: 1,521
Joined: Jul 04, 2009
Location: Southern Germany
   

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#281 » by Ayatollah » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am

BucksPackers wrote:Where will these guys end up:

Jamal Charles-
AP-
Blount-
Lynch-
Zach Brown-
Revis-

I ask because as a packers fan I am interested in some of these guys since we need defensive help and need a RB.

Jamal Charles-Eagles
AP-Raiders
Blount-Patriots
Lynch-Retired
Zach Brown-Bills
Revis-Retired
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,643
And1: 691
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#282 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
rickrolled wrote:Was a report last week the Raiders inquired about Sherman, or was it the seahawks listening to offers.....?

Anyways if the Raiders get both him and Lynch it would be a helluva AFC title game with the Patriots.

Sherm isn't going to be traded. That wasn't a report. Just a guy talking out of his ***. Not a real thing. Plus, it would take a massive offer (like a 1st & a 2nd/3rd).


A whole lot of that going on here in the silly season of the NFL...
Image
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#283 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Surprises me nobody has made a play for Blount as of yet. I can see why teams ares shying away from Charles and A.P. however.
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 20,107
And1: 6,432
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#284 » by therealbig3 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 am

Blount is a product of NE. He wouldn't do much elsewhere imo, and I think teams know that.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,419
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#285 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 am

therealbig3 wrote:Blount is a product of NE. He wouldn't do much elsewhere imo, and I think teams know that.


He did well in Tampa.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#286 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Blount is a product of NE. He wouldn't do much elsewhere imo, and I think teams know that.


He did well in Tampa.

Actually I]m glad we stayed away free agency again this year. not sure how you feel about it exactly. You know me, I want defense and there really wasn't anything out there that caught my eye. I know I'm jumping the gun here but it appears we are going to the draft for our defense.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
Head Coach
Posts: 6,961
And1: 2,752
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#287 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:54 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually I'm glad we stayed away free agency again this year. not sure how you feel about it exactly. You know me, I want defense and there really wasn't anything out there that caught my eye. I know I'm jumping the gun here but it appears we are going to the draft for our defense.

Well, you better load up. :P
Torchmode wrote:They hate us cause they aint us. Simple as that
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#288 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:00 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually I'm glad we stayed away free agency again this year. not sure how you feel about it exactly. You know me, I want defense and there really wasn't anything out there that caught my eye. I know I'm jumping the gun here but it appears we are going to the draft for our defense.

Well, you better load up. :P

If I had my way, I would spend the whole draft on defense. Jerry never gives me what I want anyways. Been begging for defense for 7 years now, you can ask Otis. We do need to find a replacement for Witten though. I hope this is his last year for Witten and I still want to trade Dez after this upcoming season.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,419
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#289 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually I'm glad we stayed away free agency again this year. not sure how you feel about it exactly. You know me, I want defense and there really wasn't anything out there that caught my eye. I know I'm jumping the gun here but it appears we are going to the draft for our defense.

Well, you better load up. :P

If I had my way, I would spend the whole draft on defense. Jerry never gives me what I want anyways. Been begging for defense for y years now, you can ask Otis. We do need to find a replacement for Witten though. I hope this is his last year and I still want to trade Dez after this upcoming season.


I'm interested in seeing what (if anything) Rico Gathers has. Physically he looks the part (6'6" 290 lbs) and is a hell of an athlete considering he played basketball at Baylor. He needs to make the team this year.

As for free agency I'm also glad they stayed away from the high money players. Eric Berry and JPP would have been the only guys I would have been interested in but those guys got resigned by their own teams. I would rather they focus on rebuilding the defense through the draft. They are in the process of shedding all their high money contracts (Carr, and Romo) but still have a couple more years until that's finished (Crawford, Witten). Obviously they need to do their best to succeed in the playoffs this coming year but really I see 2018 being their year. They will be loaded with picks in 2018.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#290 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Well, you better load up. :P

If I had my way, I would spend the whole draft on defense. Jerry never gives me what I want anyways. Been begging for defense for y years now, you can ask Otis. We do need to find a replacement for Witten though. I hope this is his last year and I still want to trade Dez after this upcoming season.


I'm interested in seeing what (if anything) Rico Gathers has. Physically he looks the part (6'6" 290 lbs) and is a hell of an athlete considering he played basketball at Baylor. He needs to make the team this year.

As for free agency I'm also glad they stayed away from the high money players. Eric Berry and JPP would have been the only guys I would have been interested in but those guys got resigned by their own teams. I would rather they focus on rebuilding the defense through the draft. They are in the process of shedding all their high money contracts (Carr, and Romo) but still have a couple more years until that's finished (Crawford, Witten). Obviously they need to do their best to succeed in the playoffs this coming year but really I see 2018 being their year. They will be loaded with picks in 2018.

I was thinking that the other day. Even if we do well and hit again in the draft, we still might be another year away. Our defense is in shambles. We only have 4 players on defense at the moment.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,419
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#291 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If I had my way, I would spend the whole draft on defense. Jerry never gives me what I want anyways. Been begging for defense for y years now, you can ask Otis. We do need to find a replacement for Witten though. I hope this is his last year and I still want to trade Dez after this upcoming season.


I'm interested in seeing what (if anything) Rico Gathers has. Physically he looks the part (6'6" 290 lbs) and is a hell of an athlete considering he played basketball at Baylor. He needs to make the team this year.

As for free agency I'm also glad they stayed away from the high money players. Eric Berry and JPP would have been the only guys I would have been interested in but those guys got resigned by their own teams. I would rather they focus on rebuilding the defense through the draft. They are in the process of shedding all their high money contracts (Carr, and Romo) but still have a couple more years until that's finished (Crawford, Witten). Obviously they need to do their best to succeed in the playoffs this coming year but really I see 2018 being their year. They will be loaded with picks in 2018.

I was thinking that the other day. Even if we do well and hit again in the draft, we still might be another year away. Our defense is in shambles. We only have 4 players on defense at the moment.


Who are the 4 on defense that you're thinking of? Sean Lee and Byron Jones, then who else? Just curious on what you think.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#292 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 am

I know you have reservations, but I think Jaylon Smith will be terrific. I believe the reason why they let J.J. Wilcox go is because they prefer Jeff Heath, but I haven't made my mind up on that one yet. Scandrick, of course.
User avatar
shawn_hemp
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,718
And1: 929
Joined: Aug 27, 2014
   

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#293 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
I'm interested in seeing what (if anything) Rico Gathers has. Physically he looks the part (6'6" 290 lbs) and is a hell of an athlete considering he played basketball at Baylor. He needs to make the team this year.

As for free agency I'm also glad they stayed away from the high money players. Eric Berry and JPP would have been the only guys I would have been interested in but those guys got resigned by their own teams. I would rather they focus on rebuilding the defense through the draft. They are in the process of shedding all their high money contracts (Carr, and Romo) but still have a couple more years until that's finished (Crawford, Witten). Obviously they need to do their best to succeed in the playoffs this coming year but really I see 2018 being their year. They will be loaded with picks in 2018.

I was thinking that the other day. Even if we do well and hit again in the draft, we still might be another year away. Our defense is in shambles. We only have 4 players on defense at the moment.


Who are the 4 on defense that you're thinking of? Sean Lee and Byron Jones, then who else? Just curious on what you think.


wasnt Randy Gregory supposed to be a decent player? Jaylon Smith could have a good year as well

I'll tell you who isnt one of his 4 though, Nolan Carroll. If this guy is actually playing a meaningful amount of snaps for your team then you are in trouble
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,643
And1: 691
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#294 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:25 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:wasnt Randy Gregory supposed to be a decent player? Jaylon Smith could have a good year as well

I'll tell you who isnt one of his 4 though, Nolan Carroll. If this guy is actually playing a meaningful amount of snaps for your team then you are in trouble


If Randy Gregory plays another meaningful down for the Cowboys it'll be a surprise to me. And if he does, it will be in 2018. Not 2017.

And yeah. Carroll isn't doing much for my optimism in the secondary. I really do expect them to draft a couple of CB's to fill that role.
Image
User avatar
shawn_hemp
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,718
And1: 929
Joined: Aug 27, 2014
   

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#295 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

thats the thing with guys who drop in the draft because of weed

sometimes they are just dumb and got caught and its not even relevant to their work ethic and you can get a steal in the draft (Tyrann Mathieu, Janoris Jenkins) and sometimes it is a window into a player who does not really care about football and is dropping for a reason (Gregory, Josh Gordon)
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,419
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#296 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 am

shawn_hemp wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I was thinking that the other day. Even if we do well and hit again in the draft, we still might be another year away. Our defense is in shambles. We only have 4 players on defense at the moment.


Who are the 4 on defense that you're thinking of? Sean Lee and Byron Jones, then who else? Just curious on what you think.


wasnt Randy Gregory supposed to be a decent player? Jaylon Smith could have a good year as well

I'll tell you who isnt one of his 4 though, Nolan Carroll. If this guy is actually playing a meaningful amount of snaps for your team then you are in trouble


As bad as Carroll was/is he's statistically better than Carr and Claiborne. Don't get me wrong I have very low expectations for Carroll.

As for Randy Gregory I would be surprised if he ever plays another down in the NFL (much less for the Cowboys). Also I would be surprised if Jaylon Smith has any impact on defense this year. I think he will play a lot in preseason and they will realize he can't play with that injury or brace. He'll be on IR by the time the season starts.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#297 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:wasnt Randy Gregory supposed to be a decent player? Jaylon Smith could have a good year as well

I'll tell you who isnt one of his 4 though, Nolan Carroll. If this guy is actually playing a meaningful amount of snaps for your team then you are in trouble


If Randy Gregory plays another meaningful down for the Cowboys it'll be a surprise to me. And if he does, it will be in 2018. Not 2017.

And yeah. Carroll isn't doing much for my optimism in the secondary. I really do expect them to draft a couple of CB's to fill that role.

I would prefer we just get rid of him. You can't fix stupid.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,643
And1: 691
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#298 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 2, 2017 11:58 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:wasnt Randy Gregory supposed to be a decent player? Jaylon Smith could have a good year as well

I'll tell you who isnt one of his 4 though, Nolan Carroll. If this guy is actually playing a meaningful amount of snaps for your team then you are in trouble


If Randy Gregory plays another meaningful down for the Cowboys it'll be a surprise to me. And if he does, it will be in 2018. Not 2017.

And yeah. Carroll isn't doing much for my optimism in the secondary. I really do expect them to draft a couple of CB's to fill that role.

I would prefer we just get rid of him. You can't fix stupid.


Read on Twitter
Image
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 20,107
And1: 6,432
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#299 » by therealbig3 » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:41 am

Peterson meeting with the Pats.

Blount is a free agent, but Peterson is clearly much more talented and would be a big upgrade for the Pats as their power back in short yardage and goal line situations...as successful as Blount has been in the RS, I feel like he's been a big disappointment in their last 2 SBs, which has put a ton of pressure on Brady to perform in those SBs. He did end up performing well and overcoming that, but I don't think that's optimal for the Pats, especially with Brady getting older.

However, with that said, there's a few things that need to happen first:

-Peterson has to sign for cheap
-Peterson has to accept a reduced role, which means he's not getting 20+ touches every game, and sometimes, will barely even be part of the gameplan
-The Patriots don't like their power back options in the draft, either in terms of effectiveness or experience (a rookie RB with potential doesn't do a lot for them at this point, they need an NFL-ready RB that can be trusted in crucial situations to make the right blocks, hit the right gaps, read the defense right, and to not fumble the football...and it's a lot to expect all of that out of a rookie RB, but if they want to optimize Brady's window, then they can't really wait to develop a rookie, which is why Peterson becomes an option)
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,079
And1: 963
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#300 » by bleu » Mon Apr 3, 2017 5:17 am

therealbig3 wrote:Peterson meeting with the Pats.

Blount is a free agent, but Peterson is clearly much more talented and would be a big upgrade for the Pats as their power back in short yardage and goal line situations...as successful as Blount has been in the RS, I feel like he's been a big disappointment in their last 2 SBs, which has put a ton of pressure on Brady to perform in those SBs. He did end up performing well and overcoming that, but I don't think that's optimal for the Pats, especially with Brady getting older.

However, with that said, there's a few things that need to happen first:

-Peterson has to sign for cheap
-Peterson has to accept a reduced role, which means he's not getting 20+ touches every game, and sometimes, will barely even be part of the gameplan
-The Patriots don't like their power back options in the draft, either in terms of effectiveness or experience (a rookie RB with potential doesn't do a lot for them at this point, they need an NFL-ready RB that can be trusted in crucial situations to make the right blocks, hit the right gaps, read the defense right, and to not fumble the football...and it's a lot to expect all of that out of a rookie RB, but if they want to optimize Brady's window, then they can't really wait to develop a rookie, which is why Peterson becomes an option)


Peterson on the Pats would be terrifying. IDK if I can see it happening, as he just doesn't seem like a New England kind of guy to me. But like you said, if he's willing to take the pay cut and go there and not be a diva and do whatever is asked of him, he could be unbelievable.

I like Blount, and I do think he ends up back on NE, but I wouldn't mind seeing my Panthers pick him up for a reasonable price. I'm terrified right now that we draft Fournette.

Return to The General NFL Board