FA 2017: Winners & Losers

User avatar
Ayatollah
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,167
And1: 1,597
Joined: Jul 04, 2009
Location: Southern Germany
   

FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#1 » by Ayatollah » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 am

A few free agents are still left but I think the following teams are clear winners/losers of this year´s offseason (so far...)

Winners:
Patriots (re-signing Hightower while aquiring Cooks and Ealy is top-notch (finale grade depends on a Malcolm Butler trade, they should give him the money imo)
Ravens (Brandon Williams + Jefferson and Carr is a major upgrade (they have to go for another wideout asap))
Giants (No homer post but they have the best receiving corps in the league (re-signing Hankins and drafting Cam Robinson would make them a true contender imo))

Losers:
Bengals (Losing Zeitler and Whitworth without a replacement is unbelievable)
Cowboys (Prescott won´t play like last season and losing Leary, Free and Crawford as well as nearly every DB will hurt)
Cardinals (Their secondary lost too many players and their QB is still Carson Palmer)
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,807
And1: 750
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#2 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am

No surprises about the Cowboys losing Leary. Some surprises about losing the DB-s - figured they would keep one or two but the market went the other way.

Can't find fault in your "winners" - especially the Patriots. One other team worth tossing a few "thumbs-up" at would be the Lions. They needed help on their O-Line and went out and got it.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 570
And1: 194
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#3 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:No surprises about the Cowboys losing Leary. Some surprises about losing the DB-s - figured they would keep one or two but the market went the other way.

Can't find fault in your "winners" - especially the Patriots. One other team worth tossing a few "thumbs-up" at would be the Lions. They needed help on their O-Line and went out and got it.

Yeah, his analysis was pretty tight. If anything, he might have been trying to play it too cool with the Giants. If Branson marshall has a calming effect on Beckham and helps him mature into a great receiver rather than a star receiver, the Giants are my favorite to win that division by no less than two games.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,807
And1: 750
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:54 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:No surprises about the Cowboys losing Leary. Some surprises about losing the DB-s - figured they would keep one or two but the market went the other way.

Can't find fault in your "winners" - especially the Patriots. One other team worth tossing a few "thumbs-up" at would be the Lions. They needed help on their O-Line and went out and got it.

Yeah, his analysis was pretty tight. If anything, he might have been trying to play it too cool with the Giants. If Branson marshall has a calming effect on Beckham and helps him mature into a great receiver rather than a star receiver, the Giants are my favorite to win that division by no less than two games.


As much as I would love to disagree with you, I can't. That was a terrific signing for the G-Men.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,140
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm

You ever notice ayatollah with his post lately, especially when talking about his Giants. Its always, "this isn't a homer pick, but". Listen, Brandon Marshall has been a loser and poisonous everywhere he has gone imo. Eli and your defense is getting old, JPP is on his last leg (or fingers I should say), you still have no running game and O-line hasn't been addressed. I'm not worried at all.
Your just a Giant homer rooting for 31 teams. The Cowboys or America's Team is still the benchmark. We get it. lmao here. Its been going on since the 70's, what can I say.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,538
And1: 3,115
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You ever notice ayatollah with his post lately, especially when talking about his Giants. Its always, "this isn't a homer pick, but". Listen, Brandon Marshall has been a loser and poisonous everywhere he has gone imo. Eli and your defense is getting old, JPP is on his last leg (or fingers I should say), you still have no running game and O-line hasn't been addressed. I'm not worried at all.
Your just a Giant homer rooting for 31 teams. The Cowboys or America's Team is still the benchmark. We get it. lmao here. Its been going on since the 70's, what can I say.

Talk about homerism. Jeez get over yourself! :lol:
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,538
And1: 3,115
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Ayatollah wrote:A few free agents are still left but I think the following teams are clear winners/losers of this year´s offseason (so far...)

Winners:
Patriots (re-signing Hightower while aquiring Cooks and Ealy is top-notch (finale grade depends on a Malcolm Butler trade, they should give him the money imo)
Ravens (Brandon Williams + Jefferson and Carr is a major upgrade (they have to go for another wideout asap))
Giants (No homer post but they have the best receiving corps in the league (re-signing Hankins and drafting Cam Robinson would make them a true contender imo))

Losers:
Bengals (Losing Zeitler and Whitworth without a replacement is unbelievable)
Cowboys (Prescott won´t play like last season and losing Leary, Free and Crawford as well as nearly every DB will hurt)
Cardinals (Their secondary lost too many players and their QB is still Carson Palmer)

Agreed.
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 570
And1: 194
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#8 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You ever notice ayatollah with his post lately, especially when talking about his Giants. Its always, "this isn't a homer pick, but". Listen, Brandon Marshall has been a loser and poisonous everywhere he has gone imo. Eli and your defense is getting old, JPP is on his last leg (or fingers I should say), you still have no running game and O-line hasn't been addressed. I'm not worried at all.
Your just a Giant homer rooting for 31 teams. The Cowboys or America's Team is still the benchmark. We get it. lmao here. Its been going on since the 70's, what can I say.


Early in his career, Marshall was a bit of a wreck. To his credit, he really did some self-evaluation and made some difficult decisions to get himself right. I've heard him in interviews and the guy has gained a lot of wisdom from his experiences and it's the kind of wisdom that Beckham better get quick before he ends up being the next NFL wide receiver circus show. Eli is getting old, but he's durable and is four years younger than Tom Brady. JPP bounced back with 7 sacks in 12 games last year and is still only in his late 20s. He's starting to learn to use that lobster claw. As far as the defense getting old, they were 12th, 18th, 22nd and 30th in scoring defense from 2012 to 2015. That's an aging, declining defense. They retooled and were 2nd last year. Only two starters last year were 30 or older and none were what you'd consider to be mid-30s. The defense isn't going anywhere. The O-line and running game should be easy enough to address in the draft. Be careful though. Eli took 21 sacks last year vs. 25 taken by Prescott, so that )-line might be a little tighter than any Cowboys fan wants to admit.
I think I've just talked myself into being really high on the Giants next year.
CDior510
Sophomore
Posts: 214
And1: 63
Joined: Nov 17, 2016
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#9 » by CDior510 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:03 pm

I wouldn't add us to the Winners just yet, definitely not losers, just not winners especially not in the Patriots class. They in my eyes have a better roster than their super bowl winning roster from last year, and the same key players returning. Hopefully we draft a Running back, and whatever TE we have steps up that is when Eli is clutch. When he has a good running game and a decent tight end, then he really shows the abilities of his receivers, because play action only works with a real running back (I'm talking to you Jennings), and get back to some of the stuff offensively that made him a super bowl champion.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,140
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:A few free agents are still left but I think the following teams are clear winners/losers of this year´s offseason (so far...)

Winners:
Patriots (re-signing Hightower while aquiring Cooks and Ealy is top-notch (finale grade depends on a Malcolm Butler trade, they should give him the money imo)
Ravens (Brandon Williams + Jefferson and Carr is a major upgrade (they have to go for another wideout asap))
Giants (No homer post but they have the best receiving corps in the league (re-signing Hankins and drafting Cam Robinson would make them a true contender imo))

Losers:
Bengals (Losing Zeitler and Whitworth without a replacement is unbelievable)
Cowboys (Prescott won´t play like last season and losing Leary, Free and Crawford as well as nearly every DB will hurt)
Cardinals (Their secondary lost too many players and their QB is still Carson Palmer)

Agreed.

Because we didn't participate in Fa we are losers? O.K. :lol: :crazy: I am one that believes we did a very good thing by staying away from FA. Now we can continue to build through the draft. I guess on the positive side, America's Team made another list, good or bad. I forget sometimes we are always on everyone's mind.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,538
And1: 3,115
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Because we didn't participate in Fa we are losers? O.K. :lol: :crazy: I am one that believes we did a very good thing by staying away from FA. Now we can continue to build through the draft. I guess on the positive side, America's Team made another list, good or bad. I forget sometimes we are always on everyone's mind.

:lol: This is what I imagine you do first thing in the morning. :wink:

Image

Image
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,140
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:18 am

How do all these photo's of Jwise keep showing up? That can't be me, I don't wear leather, :lol:
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,140
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Because we didn't participate in Fa we are losers? O.K. :lol: :crazy: I am one that believes we did a very good thing by staying away from FA. Now we can continue to build through the draft. I guess on the positive side, America's Team made another list, good or bad. I forget sometimes we are always on everyone's mind.

:lol: This is what I imagine you do first thing in the morning. :wink:

Image

Image

See what happens in the off season now that you had Ernie banned. :wink:
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 7,538
And1: 3,115
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:22 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Because we didn't participate in Fa we are losers? O.K. :lol: :crazy: I am one that believes we did a very good thing by staying away from FA. Now we can continue to build through the draft. I guess on the positive side, America's Team made another list, good or bad. I forget sometimes we are always on everyone's mind.

:lol: This is what I imagine you do first thing in the morning. :wink:

Image

Image

See what happens in the off season now that you had Ernie banned. :wink:

:lol:
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,140
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:35 am

You know this photo will get jwise all hot and bothered don't ya? He'll try and get me to move in with him again. thanks a lot. lol.
User avatar
Ayatollah
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,167
And1: 1,597
Joined: Jul 04, 2009
Location: Southern Germany
   

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#16 » by Ayatollah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:36 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You ever notice ayatollah with his post lately, especially when talking about his Giants. Its always, "this isn't a homer pick, but". Listen, Brandon Marshall has been a loser and poisonous everywhere he has gone imo. Eli and your defense is getting old, JPP is on his last leg (or fingers I should say), you still have no running game and O-line hasn't been addressed. I'm not worried at all.
Your just a Giant homer rooting for 31 teams. The Cowboys or America's Team is still the benchmark. We get it. lmao here. Its been going on since the 70's, what can I say.

1. That loser Brandon Marshall did great in 2015 with a "QB" named Fitzpatrick...
2. Manning has his weaknesses but he can throw the ball, fact.
3. You don´t need an All Pro RB with that receiving corps, Perkins will be solid and if necessary they could still go for AP, Charles or Blount.
4. Defense getting old... :crazy: If they stay healthy that secondary will keep your Cowboys under 10 ppg against them (once again)
5. The Giants need an upgrade on the O-line but I´m sure they´ll draft one out of Robinson or Ramczyk, otherwise they would´ve been in the market for guys like Lang or Zeitler.

As a Cowboys fan you don´t have to be worried about the Giants, you have to address your own weak spots (doubt they can upgrade their whole secondary through this year´s draft though)
Voldemort
Freshman
Posts: 90
And1: 31
Joined: Mar 11, 2017
 

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#17 » by Voldemort » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:08 pm

Texans have ought to be a winner as well for getting rid of Brock Osweiler.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 570
And1: 194
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#18 » by RavenMad31 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Voldemort wrote:Texans have ought to be a winner as well for getting rid of Brock Osweiler.

I'd normally agree that that's addition through subtraction, but the fact that they signed him and wasted all that money on him to begin with counts as an L on my stat sheet.
User avatar
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,596
And1: 5,968
Joined: Jan 07, 2010
Location: Houston, TX
       

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#19 » by jwise44 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 4:41 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:How do all these photo's of Jwise keep showing up? That can't be me, I don't wear leather, :lol:

Damn old man, You think I look like James Franco? Ill take that....I'm picturing you as a silver haired fox, like that old most interesting man guy


But I actually don't understand how cowboys could be losers at all...they could wind up even being big winners by staying pat (if one of us or broncos make a big and dumb trade for romo)


Texans are losers but kind of because we're held by the short hairs, can't really make a move until this romo thing is sorted out


(Bjj feel free to post your normal schtick about Texans trading for him)
ROCKETS TEXANS ASTROS KNICKS
User avatar
Dominater
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,928
And1: 2,604
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Cuba

Re: FA 2017: Winners & Losers 

Post#20 » by Dominater » Sat Apr 1, 2017 10:31 pm

Bears losers big time. Had all that $$ to spend and yet got none of their main targets expect for Glennon, which was a questionable move at best. Would MUCH rather have spent the $$ on defense or O-line and either traded whatever picks NE wants for Goroppolo, or just draft a QB. Instead they think small as usual
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes

Return to The General NFL Board