Will Power Rushing Teams Return?

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Re: Will Power Rushing Teams Return? 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am

They need to be more like Earl Campbell and hit and dish it out to the defense before they hit you.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#22 » by JaxMagic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:They need to be more like Earl Campbell and hit and dish it out to the defense before they hit you.

I'm excited.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#23 » by InfraRedshaw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm

JaxMagic wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:They need to be more like Earl Campbell and hit and dish it out to the defense before they hit you.

I'm excited.

aint gonna be seeing none of that this year :-)
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Aye that.

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:18 pm

JaxMagic wrote:

I'm excited.

I would be to. Last year the Jaguars where my sleeper pick. I was wrong but I'm going with them again this year as my sleeper pick. Like what they have done the past 2 years with their draft and free agency. Bortles is the KEY.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Aye that.

The very best power back I have ever seen so far in my lifetime.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Aye that.

I would have had him at #2. Because I saw Jim Brown. And Jim Brown was #1.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Aye that.

Earl Campbell better than Sayers and Bo Jackson?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Aye that.

I'm not that old, :wink: :lol:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#30 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The very best power back I have ever seen so far in my lifetime.

IMHO, yes.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The very best power back I have ever seen so far in my lifetime.

Yes.

Feel free to argue.

You would be wrong.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yes.

Feel free to argue.

You would be wrong.

I won't argue. I don't really remember too much about Campbell. I remember him being good but I never remember being wowed, but I barely remember and didn't see much. What I saw from Bo was wow...I mean guys would square up to tackle them and just get blown back like a train hit them. And then Sayers just looked elusive and powerful and extremely impressive, and just from the clips I've seen, it looks like he could have been among the best all time had he stayed healthy.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yes.

Feel free to argue.

You would be wrong.

I won't argue. I don't really remember too much about Campbell. I remember him being good but I never remember being wowed, but I barely remember and didn't see much. What I saw from Bo was wow...I mean guys would square up to tackle them and just get blown back like a train hit them. And then Sayers just looked elusive and powerful and extremely impressive, and just from the clips I've seen, it looks like he could have been among the best all time had he stayed healthy.

We're talking Power Backs. That eliminates Sayers. His attributes were speed and elusiveness. Power wasn't his real forte.

I loved Bo. But other than running over the Boz, he doesn't have a lot of signature "Bam!!!" moments. Earl's career is littered with them. And if he got to the edge and turned up field, he had world class speed. Saw him run away from plenty of CB's. And as they said in the video... you didn't tackle him solo. Period.

The first 3 years he was in the league he was unstoppable.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Yes.

Feel free to argue.

You would be wrong.

We're talking Power Backs. That eliminates Sayers. His attributes were speed and elusiveness. Power wasn't his real forte.

I loved Bo. But other than running over the Boz, he doesn't have a lot of signature "Bam!!!" moments. Earl's career is littered with them. And if he got to the edge and turned up field, he had world class speed. Saw him run away from plenty of CB's. And as they said in the video... you didn't tackle him solo. Period.

Boz wasn't the most impressive thing I saw from Bo, but unfortunately he didn't play long. I remember watching live, one game against the Broncos, where he literally ran into a squared up safety ready to tackle him and the guy just flew in the air a few feet and landed on the ground. He had power and speed.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Boz wasn't the most impressive thing I saw from Bo, but unfortunately he didn't play long. I remember watching live, one game against the Broncos, where he literally ran into a squared up safety ready to tackle him and the guy just flew in the air a few feet and landed on the ground. He had power and speed.

It was Steve Atwater. I remember.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Maybe that's the one I remember...I just watched it on youtube a few times and at first I thought no that's not it...but a few more times I looked at it and it could have been it. I didn't remember that many guys close to him when he ran him over like that and thought he flew even further. Maybe it was just more jawdropping seeing it live not realizing exactly how good Bo was at the time.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:04 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Maybe that's the one I remember...I just watched it on youtube a few times and at first I thought no that's not it...but a few more times I looked at it and it could have been it. I didn't remember that many guys close to him when he ran him over like that and thought he flew even further. Maybe it was just more jawdropping seeing it live not realizing exactly how good Bo was at the time.

If he could have kept his health... he was amazing.

But he didn't. That's why I go with Earl. His HS legend around here is nearly as fascinating as his college and pro stuff. Makes some seriously good sausage too. You can look it up.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#38 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Aye that.

All joking aside for a time being. I never saw Jim Brown run or play. I have seen many highlights and it does appear he ran rough shot over our Cowboys a few times in the 60's. We had a hard time with the Browns back then. I bet Brown fans would like to have those years come back to them.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

All joking aside for a time being. I never saw Jim Brown run or play. I have seen many highlights and it does appear he ran rough shot over our Cowboys a few times in the 60's. We had a hard time with the Browns back then. I bet Brown fans would like to have those years come back to them.

Early in my sports life (1964) I saw him abuse Chuck Howley. No one abused Chuck Howley.

Not just the best RB I've ever seen. Best football player I've ever seen and that was just the last two years of his career.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 489

Post#40 » by xchange55 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:17 am

Let's just say you build your offense to be a predominantly rushing team in today's NFL. There are so many other teams that have quick strike offenses that can put up points quickly. Being down 10, 14, 17 points very quickly isn't out of the question in today's NFL. And coming back from those deficits isn't a big deal either for a passing offense. But the "rushing" team falls into this hole - what are they going to do???

I think it's simply a matchup issue. If the elite teams in the league can light up the scoreboard, you have no choice but build a team that can match that. It's a similar situation in the NBA with the Warriors. If they get 3 points each time down the floor and you get 2, you're going to be on the short end for sure.

Return to The General NFL Board