ImageImageImage

Fire SVG

Moderators: dVs33, theBigLip, Snakebites

davidvolumes
Sophomore
And1: 33

Re: Fire SVG 

Post#41 » by davidvolumes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

A blind man could see having Reggie pounding the air out of the ball for 16 to 18 seconds each possession had 3 players standing around just watching. It made Reggie look good but its not a system that leads to elite bb. What took svg so long long to figure this out if he is such a great coach?
I remarked months before svg addressed it that the league had caught up with the Reggie and Dre high p n r? One of my issues with svg is he he is slow to make adjustments and changes. I have heard the argument many times as to why we cant play boban. Slow feet, doesn't close out on mobile centers who can shoot;etc...Have you noticed opposing centers are eating dre alive. Dre doesn't play the p n r well at all. He doesn't extend himself out on centers who can shot. And he rarely established good post position. How do you help a team of average players? By having a center to throw the ball to who has established good post position.
Futhermore Marcus Morris and jon are NOT good 3 point shooters. What they are are solid midrange players who on occasions can make a few 3's. Same with kcp. These 3 should be involved heavily in pick and roll situations. That's there strengths. This team has talent. What it doesn't have is a coach who puts each player in situations to succeed. You got to be kidding. Building a team around Reggie. LMAO.
flow
Senior
And1: 197

Post#42 » by flow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:41 pm

theBigLip wrote:Wow, so many places to go with this. I strongly think SVG is doing a good job and we need to keep him. But let me explain a bit more.

Secondly, are we just judging SVG because of two players not performing up to our expectations? It makes total sense to roll with these guys this year and hopefully make them better. Not sure if RJ is not good or not healthy, but he sure looked better last year, so I'm assuming he's not 100%. So you want to fire SVG because his PG is not healthy?

No, I'm blaming SVG for having those expectations of them in the first place. Neither were warranted, and neither should have been made franchise players. Nothing is surprising about the way either of those players are playing.

On the day RJ was traded to Detroit, an OKC fan wrote the following in response to Detroit fans questioning why OKC fans were happy to be rid of him:

He doesn't make smart basketball plays, not a good decision maker, and he's not talented enough to make up for it. He has poor court vision and if he makes up his mind that he's gonna take the shot, that's what he'll do, no matter who's open.

He's a terrible outside shooter, a TERRIBLE defender, and a bad decision maker.

He's good at driving and a pretty good finisher around the rim. He has good touch. He IS capable of getting hot and pouring in points once in a while... but overall? You're getting a 42% shooting "PG" with bad decision making/bad court vision and terrible defense.

Virtually everything he said has proven completely true. (you could argue his outside shooting isn't terrible). So yes, SVG is to blame for not having the insight and forethought that this fan had when he decided to make him his franchise point guard.

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,106

Post#43 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

flow wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Wow, so many places to go with this. I strongly think SVG is doing a good job and we need to keep him. But let me explain a bit more.

Secondly, are we just judging SVG because of two players not performing up to our expectations? It makes total sense to roll with these guys this year and hopefully make them better. Not sure if RJ is not good or not healthy, but he sure looked better last year, so I'm assuming he's not 100%. So you want to fire SVG because his PG is not healthy?

No, I'm blaming SVG for having those expectations of them in the first place. Neither were warranted, and neither should have been made franchise players. Nothing is surprising about the way either of those players are playing.

On the day RJ was traded to Detroit, an OKC fan wrote the following in response to Detroit fans questioning why OKC fans were happy to be rid of him:

He doesn't make smart basketball plays, not a good decision maker, and he's not talented enough to make up for it. He has poor court vision and if he makes up his mind that he's gonna take the shot, that's what he'll do, no matter who's open.

He's good at driving and a pretty good finisher around the rim. He has good touch. He IS capable of getting hot and pouring in points once in a while... but overall? You're getting a 42% shooting "PG" with bad decision making/bad court vision and terrible defense.

Virtually everything he said has proven completely true. (you could argue his outside shooting isn't terrible). So yes, SVG is to blame for not having the insight and forethought that this fan had when he decided to make him his franchise point guard.

Good post. The crazy thing is that RJ is the best PG we've had around here for awhile, so at least it was an improvement. I'm sure everyone on the board agrees we need to keep looking to improve that position.
sinnombre2323
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: RE: Re: Fire SVG 

Post#44 » by sinnombre2323 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 pm

theBigLip wrote:
flow wrote:

Good post. The crazy thing is that RJ is the best PG we've had around here for awhile, so at least it was an improvement. I'm sure everyone on the board agrees we need to keep looking to improve that position.

Should've got ricky rub...

Sent from my SM-J700M using RealGM mobile app
davidvolumes
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#45 » by davidvolumes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

I am not saying SVG is wrong to sit Stanley for any reason he chooses at any time. BUT it certainly seems he holds Stanley to a higher standard than he does Reggie and Dre.
DBC10
Head Coach
And1: 1,869

Post#46 » by DBC10 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

flow wrote:

That's what OKC fans said? Man I must've missed that since all I really heard was bad defense and locker room trouble.

But it does prove them completely right for whatever it's worth. SVG gambled, thought he can groom him to be his own PG that plays his way, but got someone that is opposite of that. Defensive liability, tunnel vision, and not an elite finisher with 26%+ usage rate.
vic
Bench Warmer
And1: 405

Post#47 » by vic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

flow wrote:

Slow Clap
vic
Bench Warmer
And1: 405

Post#48 » by vic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 am

At the very least of you know what you got you make the the 4th man instead of the top dog

Return to Detroit Pistons