Offseason Plan (Post Deadline)

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Re: Offseason Plan (Post Deadline) 

Post#81 » by Timmaytime » Sat Mar 9, 2013 5:23 pm

Jodi wrote:^I don't know who Cody Zeller is but your plan looks legit...I think we could sit on some of our cap space with your plan too...

agreed, counting Stucks cap hit it might be about 54 mil total, i'm probably wrong though... Closest we can get to a legit great team for now. Nice work Prince
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Jodi
Banned User
And1: 52

Post#82 » by Jodi » Sat Mar 9, 2013 5:25 pm

If Knight continues to succeed at the 2-guard position we may need to look for a young PG...I'm telling you guys early, we need to offer a package that includes our 2013 picks to the Wizards for John Wall...A back-court featuring Wall/Knight is a good Plan B...
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#83 » by Goldtop » Sat Mar 9, 2013 5:45 pm

Jodi wrote:If Knight continues to succeed at the 2-guard position we may need to look for a young PG...I'm telling you guys early, we need to offer a package that includes our 2013 picks to the Wizards for John Wall...A back-court featuring Wall/Knight is a good Plan B...

I'd trade all of our picks this year for Wall. Except I don't think we are allowed to trade our #1 pick this year, due to the CHA trade. Rules prevent you from trading #1 picks 2 yrs in a row, and if we ended up having to give CHA the pick next year, it would end up being 2 in a row.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#84 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 9, 2013 5:55 pm

PoP, you lost me the second you had us taking Zeller in the lottery.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#85 » by princeofpalace » Sat Mar 9, 2013 6:23 pm

^
I think Zeller is one of the worst case scenarios for us if we pick in the 8-10 range. That being said, I wanted to make a plan that didn't rely on the stars alligning and made the best out of a bad situation. I think there is a very real possibility that we miss out on all the wings in the draft worth having, which leaves us with some really nondescript bigmen. Zeller is the best of that crop.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#86 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat Mar 9, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't think Denver does a straight salary dump for Chandler anymore. They'll probably look to deal Andre Miller before they deal Chandler.
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#87 » by joeposh » Sat Mar 9, 2013 7:57 pm

princeofpalace wrote:^
I think Zeller is one of the worst case scenarios for us if we pick in the 8-10 range. That being said, I wanted to make a plan that didn't rely on the stars alligning and made the best out of a bad situation. I think there is a very real possibility that we miss out on all the wings in the draft worth having, which leaves us with some really nondescript bigmen. Zeller is the best of that crop.

Yup, if the top tier SF prospects are gone (which they likely would be if the draft were held today), we should go BPA. We need strong backups with starter potential for nearly every position, so if we can get a young PG, SG, PF or C who happened to slip to us, we should take it instead of reaching.

Still hoping we manage to move up enough to avoid that scenario though.
Umbra
Banned User
And1: 92

Post#88 » by Umbra » Sat Mar 9, 2013 9:52 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:I don't think Denver does a straight salary dump for Chandler anymore. They'll probably look to deal Andre Miller before they deal Chandler.

I'd love Miller here. If the Pistons want Knight to progress as a PG still, Miller would be a great mentor.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#89 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 9, 2013 10:34 pm

CV for Miller and Chandler.

They could use a stretch-4 to backup Faried and saves them quite a bit of cap.
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#90 » by ChipButty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:33 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:I don't think Denver does a straight salary dump for Chandler anymore. They'll probably look to deal Andre Miller before they deal Chandler.

Even if they were looking to dump Chandlers contract, I'm fairly sure they could get better than Kim English in return.

I think the most likely scenario is that they resign Iggy to 3 or 4 years at $10m/year. This would push back any luxury tax issues to 14/15. I think McGee is the guy they will eventually look to dump, which doesn't help us.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#91 » by princeofpalace » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 am

ChipButty wrote:

Even if they were looking to dump Chandlers contract, I'm fairly sure they could get better than Kim English in return.

I think the most likely scenario is that they resign Iggy to 3 or 4 years at $10m/year. This would push back any luxury tax issues to 14/15. I think McGee is the guy they will eventually look to dump, which doesn't help us.

The liklihood that Igoudala opts out of his current contract, is slim to none. Unless Denver makes a salary saving related move, they will be over the lux tax next season. Chandler is a backup, I doubt they hold onto him if they can get 6 million in instant cap space.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#92 » by princeofpalace » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:13 pm

There are a lot of possible moves Joe D can make in June, so here's another scenario.

Draft

8- SG/SF- Shabazz Mohammed
38- PG- Phil Pressey
57- PG- Nate Wolters

We get lucky and Shabazz Mohammed falls right into our laps. (Ideally, Otto Porter is the best fit- but we need to win the lottery to draft him. Porters length and defense will help mitigate the problems of having Jose Calderon on the roster) Despite his other deficiencies, this guy is going to be an 18-20ppg scorer on the next level and we are desperate for wing scoring. We shore up our PG depth in the 2nd round.

Offseason

We bid farewell to Maggette, Bynum,and Maxiel. We also waive Rodney Stuckey.

We sign;

PG- Jose Calderon- 3/20. Joe D and Co seem smitten with Jose. So much to my chagrin, I think there is a very real shot that he returns as our starting PG. If so, a 3 year deal worth around 6 million is more than enough for Jose. He runs the offense well but the defense gets seriously worse, so the offseason must target defenders that can help cover for him.

SG/SF- Corey Brewer 3-15- Brewer is a very good perimeter defender, which is something that we desperately need. If we can get him for MLE type money then he is definitely worth it.

PF/C- Tiago Splitter- 4/30. We need a legit 3rd bigman to round out our rotation. Splitter is a very good defender and a decent rebounder. It will be hard to get him to leave SAS but we should try. He can hit the midrange jumper and score in the post. He's a great fit with Monroe and Drummond.

2013-2014 Detroit Pistons

Jose Calderon/Phil Pressey/Wolters
Brandon Knight/Corey Brewer/Kim English
Shabazz Mohammed/Kyle Singler/Khris Middleton
Greg Monroe/Charlie V/Jonas Jerebko
Andre Drummond/Tiago Splitter/Slava

A Calderon/Knight/Mohammed trio spreads the floor for Monroe/Drummond. Its not great defensively but we have Brewer, Splitter coming off the bench to help shore up the defense. Along with a defensive anchor in Andre Drummond. The team should be a lot better defensively that it currently is. I think thats an 8-10 seed in the east next season but with room to grow if Shabazz/Knight/Drummond/Monroe play better.

The downside is the 14 draft is deep and the Bobcats have our pick so if we do not make the playoffs the Ben Gordon trade is looking pretty atrocious.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#93 » by chrbal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 pm

So we finally get cap space, and we blow it again. Yay?
ocellatus921
Junior
And1: 14

Post#94 » by ocellatus921 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 am

1. Trade Stuckey to the Timberwolves for Luke Ridnour & Brandon Roy's corpse(then wave him).
2. Sign O.J. Mayo 4yr/45mil
3. Sign Brandan Wright 2yr/8mil
4. Sign Corey Brewer 3yr/18mil
5. Draft Victor Oladipo & Phil Pressey

Knight/Ridnour/Pressey
Mayo/Oladipo/English
Brewer/Singler/Middleton
Monroe/CV/Jerebko
Drummond/Wright/Krav
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#95 » by Clarity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 am

adding Mayo & drafting Mohammad combined with Drummond's improvement would make a big difference.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#96 » by Piston Pete » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 am

Clarity wrote:adding Mayo & drafting Mohammad combined with Drummond's improvement would make a big difference.

Both are SGs, so don't need both.
OneBadMutha
Sixth Man
And1: 189

Post#97 » by OneBadMutha » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 am

The loss of Drummond combined w/ the trading of Tay and moving Knight away from his defensive position of strengths only highlights how pathetic the rest of this roster is defensively. This roster is unacceptably bad defensively. I don't see how any single player can cover up enough for the rest of this roster to ever become a good defensive team. If you don't have a couple offensive Superstars, you must have a top 3 defense to ever contend.

There are only two players I want back truthfully. Drummond is the guy I build around and Knight is the guy I take a chance on getting better. Knight, much like Stuckey early in his career, doesn't have a position. But unlike Stuckey, he's got the intangibles, work ethic, and an outside shot.

I can't stand the moves most fans and media want to make. I think the old Dumars we hoped would come back is not coming back. His desire for Calderon while essentially neutering the only guy on this roster who has a pair (Knight) is the last straw in regards to any hope that Dumars would return to old form. He's still trying to build an offensive team instead of a tough team. This team has no identity. Fact that most players on this roster along with most rumored targets don't compliment the guy with the most upside (Drummond) makes no sense. The fact that the only guy on this roster who looks like a long term compliment to Drummond (Knight) is now being rumored for Stuckey's 6th man role next year shows that this organization is completely lost.

Here is your best hope Pistons fans. The hope is that Calderon turns down the money and wants to play for someone else. Mayo turns down the big contract offer from us. Detroit gets lucky with another no-brain draft pick that falls into their laps (Shabazz). Then whoever takes over for Dumars midway thru the season has enough flexibility to start building this roster the right way around Drummond, Knight, and their next draft pick.

...and Monroe is an asset this off-season. Once he gets that big contract, he's not going to be such an attractive asset. I'm still adamant about selling high on him. He's not a good compliment to Drummond at either end of the floor. Fact that Knight shows more willingness to contest shots at the rim than Monroe is enough for me. Monroe needs to go West coast.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#98 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 am

Who says Joe wants to build a soft team though? I've been thinking it through and I think Joe is bluffing with this Calderon nonsense. I think he's trying to justify to the casual fans why he traded the last remnant of the Championship team. Because really casual fans are worth more per dollar than we are. By saying he traded for someone he sees that can help us in the future, he doesn't have to say he gave up Prince for more cap space. That makes him look bad in the eyes of the casual media.
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#99 » by Clarity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
Clarity wrote:adding Mayo & drafting Mohammad combined with Drummond's improvement would make a big difference.

Mohammad isnt a 2, hes a 3
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#100 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Clarity wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:

Mohammad isnt a 2, hes a 3

He's a 3 in college but questions remain about his size. Websites say he is 6'6" but looks more 6'4"-5"ish. Same concers were about Mayo at USC. I'd draft a wing with the lotto pick, sign Josn Smith, and trade Monroe.

Return to Detroit Pistons