ImageImageImage

Andre Drummond's Weight

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Re: Andre Drummond's Weight 

Post#101 » by tmorgan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 am

That's probably just a difference in personality, then. I understand your perspective, but I'm more risk-averse. Davis is a sure thing star, and a nearly sure thing super-duper star. Andre's ceiling, based on his size, may be a little higher, but he's much less likely to get there no matter how hard he works, because he may not have the mental tools necessary to be a truly dominant defender and scorer.

I'm not saying I KNOW he doesn't, it's just a real possibility. I'll take the guaranteed 8 that's likely a 9 over the guaranteed 7 that has a very slim chance of being a 10.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#102 » by epheisey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:11 am

tmorgan wrote:That's probably just a difference in personality, then. I understand your perspective, but I'm more risk-averse. Davis is a sure thing star, and a nearly sure thing super-duper star. Andre's ceiling, based on his size, may be a little higher, but he's much less likely to get there no matter how hard he works, because he may not have the mental tools necessary to be a truly dominant defender and scorer.

I'm not saying I KNOW he doesn't, it's just a real possibility. I'll take the guaranteed 8 that's likely a 9 over the guaranteed 7 that has a very slim chance of being a 10.

This is exactly it. Just like when someone brought up the idea of trading Drummond for Embiid. You don't trade a known commodity for an unknown, unless age is a factor.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Post#103 » by Kilo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 pm

I do think Dre will end up more like Shaq than Dwight, he just seems naturally heavy with a big ass and wide hips that will fill out. He's only 21yrs old and already so heavy without much muscle on him - he's gonna be a 300lb+ center in his late 20's.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Post#104 » by tmorgan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:58 pm

I agree, he'll likely have the size. I don't know if that makes him more or less likely to become dominant, though. He needs to rely on his athleticism at this point, and if he gets too big, he'll lose some of it.

He could just end up as a gigantic dude with less height and skill than Shaq. That'll still be good, but not better than Anthony Davis.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#105 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Kilo wrote:I do think Dre will end up more like Shaq than Dwight, he just seems naturally heavy with a big ass and wide hips that will fill out. He's only 21yrs old and already so heavy without much muscle on him - he's gonna be a 300lb+ center in his late 20's.

The thing was Shaq came into the league with really good footwork and already a good vision for a center

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Post#106 » by Kilo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:28 pm

^I was commenting on his size/body type not the skillset. You're right of course about Shaq, and I hope Dre and the coaching staff is really working on his footwork in the low post because it will be essential for him long term.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#107 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 am

Personally I wouldnt trade dre for davis,I just have a feeling davis will become that player that is always injured and always on the brink,sort of like how grant hills carrer went.Its also not to hard to find a decent pf,but a dominating center,at dres size dosent come along quite often.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#108 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:09 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
Kilo wrote:I do think Dre will end up more like Shaq than Dwight, he just seems naturally heavy with a big ass and wide hips that will fill out. He's only 21yrs old and already so heavy without much muscle on him - he's gonna be a 300lb+ center in his late 20's.

The thing was Shaq came into the league with really good footwork and already a good vision for a center

Shaq was pulling 30pt 15rbd games within his very first 10 games of his career.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#109 » by Redeemed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:55 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:

Yeah Shaq came in as almost a finished product. He was crazy comfortable with being big and he played to his enormous size. Drummond looks like he wants to shrink down to the size of a wing player when he does his dipsy doodle finger rolls.

Shaq as you said, had tremendous footwork while Drummond looks a little wild and haphazard. That being said, Drummond conversely has amazing room for growth and strong desire to make that leap to the next level.

Exposure to Sheed last season was big for him.
Playing in the USA Basketball program the past two offseasons have been huge for him.
Getting a coach of SVG's calibur is gi-normous for him.

I'm really excited about his potential.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#110 » by need4detroit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Kilo wrote:I do think Dre will end up more like Shaq than Dwight, he just seems naturally heavy with a big ass and wide hips that will fill out. He's only 21yrs old and already so heavy without much muscle on him - he's gonna be a 300lb+ center in his early 20's.

Fixed.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#111 » by Billl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:09 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:

Shaq was pulling 30pt 15rbd games within his very first 10 games of his career.

Not to take anything away from shaq, but he did stay 3 years in college. His rookie year would need to be compared to Dre's 3rd year. Shaq obviously still comes out way ahead in scoring, but the rebounding is similar.

Oh, and Dre is likely already 300+ lbs. He was 279 at the rookie combine. He's obviously added some bulk over the last 3 years.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#112 » by whitehops » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:Weight is weight. Your knees and adjoined cartilage don't discriminate if it's from fat or muscle.

sorry I hate to bring this up after two years but I couldn't help myself.

your muscles are meant to handle the force instead of your joints. overall mass does factor into how much impact the body goes under when running/jumping, but having more muscle helps to handle the 'load', if you will.

think of muscle as having 'productive weight', it's weight that can sustain itself and support your body. dre has a similar build to LeBron in the sense that they both have tree trunk legs and big shoulders. I expect both to be relatively injury-free in their careers.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#113 » by hoophabit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:00 pm

whitehops wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:Weight is weight. Your knees and adjoined cartilage don't discriminate if it's from fat or muscle.

sorry I hate to bring this up after two years but I couldn't help myself.

your muscles are meant to handle the force instead of your joints. overall mass does factor into how much impact the body goes under when running/jumping, but having more muscle helps to handle the 'load', if you will.

think of muscle as having 'productive weight', it's weight that can sustain itself and support your body. dre has a similar build to LeBron in the sense that they both have tree trunk legs and big shoulders. I expect both to be relatively injury-free in their careers.

I was right there with you Whitehops until that last sentence. I probably would have substituted "think there's reason to hope" for "expect." :wink: I'm repeating myself, but Drummond's weight should be what it is when he's in the best possible condition. AD is a big man. He's not Shaq big, but he's d@mn big. The young man seems serious, and appears to be working on his game and body. FTs, FTs, FTs... :lol:
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#114 » by need4detroit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 pm

He might end up a Magic Shaq sized guy minus a few inches. His upper-body is starting to fill out with his already massive lower body.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#115 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:17 am

need4detroit wrote:He might end up a Magic Shaq sized guy minus a few inches. His upper-body is starting to fill out with his already massive lower body.

i hope he can figure out how to use it. While shaq was huge, his bball skill in the low post , fakes and anticipation were uncanny. You really can't teach that sort of feel. I've seen a couple samples with Dre, ie Mozgov
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#116 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 am

I just hope dre has it upstairs,thats what seperates the good from the great.Say what you will about shaq being as dumb as a box of rocks,his bball iq was great and pairing that with his size,wow.Like the poster above said,shaq came into the league and knew how to use his size,actually relished being able to abuse guys with his size,dre seems like he is a smaller guy in a big guy body.He needs to learn to use that size,its almost like he is shy about being that big and putting on a clinic or maybe he dosent quite feel like hes a MAN yet but still a teenage kid acting like one mentaly.Wish we could bring in ben or lambier,to give him a razor sharp edge,now that would be a deadly player.

Que the rocky scenarios,trainer dies,wife ends up in coma then comes out to tell him to win,etc.lol
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#117 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:52 pm

kurtis48239 wrote:I just hope dre has it upstairs,thats what seperates the good from the great.Say what you will about shaq being as dumb as a box of rocks,his bball iq was great and pairing that with his size,wow.Like the poster above said,shaq came into the league and knew how to use his size,actually relished being able to abuse guys with his size,dre seems like he is a smaller guy in a big guy body.He needs to learn to use that size,its almost like he is shy about being that big and putting on a clinic or maybe he dosent quite feel like hes a MAN yet but still a teenage kid acting like one mentaly.Wish we could bring in ben or lambier,to give him a razor sharp edge,now that would be a deadly player.

Que the rocky scenarios,trainer dies,wife ends up in coma then comes out to tell him to win,etc.lol
I see some people discussing Drummond's size. This is how I look at it, if Drummond is 95% of Shaq size, he's Shaq size, let's not split hairs here. There have been very few NBA players, ever with Andre's Size, weight, speed, and agility. You can count them on one hand.

The reason I quoted this post, is because he nailed it on the head.

Drummond absolutely has all the physical tools to become one of the most dominant centers of all time. It's now up to Drummond to have that fire, and passion, and sheer force of will to make it happen. I would also take to task saying he doesn't have the skills. I call crap on that. Drummond had alot of skills, bigmen don't usually possess at his size. Drummond has displayed excellent footwork down in the post, just that he doesn't do it consistantly. Drummond has also shown that he has very soft hands, and can pass the ball. Now that he is the sole focus on offense (In out offense)we will see a ton of it.

Drummond has already done things that hit the record books. People say Shaq was dropping 30-15 first 10 games (nevermind the extra years of college)well, last year, drummond was having just monster damn games, people haven't seen in quite some time. This is the year, I fully expect that Drummond gets it. He is bigger, and faster then everyone else, and it's time to show it.

I expect 18-20ppg, and the exact same in rebounds. When drummonds playtime was high, he averaged around 19rpg. (High for him anyway 38mpg) You have to go back a long way to see a man his size, have such a knack for rebounding. He reminds me of a giant version of Rodman.

20-20 would not surprise me at all, at 38mpg.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#118 » by yitur » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:58 pm

^I just checked, in the games he played 40 minutes or more(which is just 5 games) he averaged 19.8ppg 19.4rpg and 5.5 blocks. He is a special player who I think will be something between Howard and Shaq. This will be the breakout year for him for sure.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#119 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:I just hope dre has it upstairs,thats what seperates the good from the great.Say what you will about shaq being as dumb as a box of rocks,his bball iq was great and pairing that with his size,wow.Like the poster above said,shaq came into the league and knew how to use his size,actually relished being able to abuse guys with his size,dre seems like he is a smaller guy in a big guy body.He needs to learn to use that size,its almost like he is shy about being that big and putting on a clinic or maybe he dosent quite feel like hes a MAN yet but still a teenage kid acting like one mentaly.Wish we could bring in ben or lambier,to give him a razor sharp edge,now that would be a deadly player.

I see some people discussing Drummond's size. This is how I look at it, if Drummond is 95% of Shaq size, he's Shaq size, let's not split hairs here. There have been very few NBA players, ever with Andre's Size, weight, speed, and agility. You can count them on one hand.

The reason I quoted this post, is because he nailed it on the head.

Drummond absolutely has all the physical tools to become one of the most dominant centers of all time. It's now up to Drummond to have that fire, and passion, and sheer force of will to make it happen. I would also take to task saying he doesn't have the skills. I call crap on that. Drummond had alot of skills, bigmen don't usually possess at his size. Drummond has displayed excellent footwork down in the post, just that he doesn't do it consistantly. Drummond has also shown that he has very soft hands, and can pass the ball. Now that he is the sole focus on offense (In out offense)we will see a ton of it.

Drummond has already done things that hit the record books. People say Shaq was dropping 30-15 first 10 games (nevermind the extra years of college)well, last year, drummond was having just monster damn games, people haven't seen in quite some time. This is the year, I fully expect that Drummond gets it. He is bigger, and faster then everyone else, and it's time to show it.

I expect 18-20ppg, and the exact same in rebounds. When drummonds playtime was high, he averaged around 19rpg. (High for him anyway 38mpg) You have to go back a long way to see a man his size, have such a knack for rebounding. He reminds me of a giant version of Rodman.

20-20 would not surprise me at all, at 38mpg.

Shaquille O'Neal Draft Age. - He was drafted in 1992 after his Junior year at the age of 20. - That means he started college in 1989, and played almost his entire freshman season, at age 17.

Lets say Shaq's rookie season he played mostly at age of 21 years old. He still was putting up 30/15 games in his first 10 games at 20 years old playing elite offense and defense. His first Home game had like 32 points. Shaq was an anomaly who could pass and dribble at very high efficiency for a 300 pounder. If anything, Drummond will be more like Dwight level and be a top Center in the NBA, but not all time level. Still, I love Drummond even if he is the next Dwight level player.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#120 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:

Shaquille O'Neal Draft Age. - He was drafted in 1992 after his Junior year at the age of 20. - That means he started college in 1989, and played almost his entire freshman season, at age 17.

Lets say Shaq's rookie season he played mostly at age of 21 years old. He still was putting up 30/15 games in his first 10 games at 20 years old playing elite offense and defense. His first Home game had like 32 points. Shaq was an anomaly who could pass and dribble at very high efficiency for a 300 pounder. If anything, Drummond will be more like Dwight level and be a top Center in the NBA, but not all time level. Still, I love Drummond even if he is the next Dwight level player.

while i agree that in the end he'll be closer to dwight than shaq. The difference is that Dre is bottom heavy much like shaq. Its really incredible looking at those stats in retrospect. Truly a unique player. I do think Dre has the same ability and potential to be somewhere between the Dwight and Shaq, which is a special player.

Return to Detroit Pistons