ImageImageImage

The 2014 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Re: The 2014 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#921 » by vic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 am

^^^^ I think GMs are putting out smokescreens that's why you don't hear a lot about Nurkic. What kind of 7 footer with highlights like him goes lower than top 10?
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#922 » by DBC10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 am

Notanoob wrote:Of the prospects who I think will be there at 8, Vonleh is my favorite. I'd consider trading down even if he was there, but I would be happy to draft him. If we are stuck at 8, then I'd rather draft him than reach for someone else. I think that he is solid value at 8 and due to his youth and potential as a stretch big, he's a good fit as well, even if we are stuck with Smith and Monroe in the short term. He can come off the bench until one of them is moved (since I doubt that we keep both here long term).

I don't mind him as a consolation prize in the event that Monroe is gone. I actually am leaning towards starting over with youth altogether instead of cancerous and immature veteran FAs that we keep attracting here. If we do draft Vonleh, get rid of Smith like the garbage fire he is, and then look to deal Monroe down the line.

Vonleh would be remarkably solid as a pick.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#923 » by Notanoob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 am

Vonleh, by most accounts, would be a good addition to our locker room too. Great work ethic, really nice, kind sort of kid. Innocent and sweet and all that. Everyone loved him at IU from what I've read. Not the leader we're still looking for, but he certainly would not be a bad addition from a chemistry standpoint.

But again, I'm itching for a trade down. I like Payne as a stretch big instead of Vonleh if we do so, since he's much safer (two seasons of accurate 3 point shooting), and is a better athlete (way better hops) and much stronger. Even if his post game doesn't translate that'll be fine, since he's a tough kid who hustles and all that and shooting is what we need first and foremost.

Throw in some wing prospects and we're golden. I'm hoping we land McDaniels first and foremost, and then there are a number of other guys who would be nice additions - James Young (local boy!), LaVine (would be a steal if it turns out he really is a PG and he learns to play defense) or Bogdanovic (Euro, good athlete, kind of like Young really).

I'm really intrigued by Kyle Anderson as a PF, so he'd be a prize instead of Payne.

Harris or Stauskas would not fit a need, since we have our SG and those two certainly can't play SF or PG, but I like their chances to pan out and they can shoot.

Hood would be a consolation prize at SF, since I don't like his upside to play defense in the NBA. However, he'd fit perfectly on offense for us at SF, so I wouldn't mind adding him.

Payton is my choice if we're desperate for PG defense after a trade down. If only he could shoot, he'd be a lottery pick level player.
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#924 » by Q00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 am

What's the difference between Smart and Smith, other than playing different positions?

Both tough defenders with an edge, who can do a little of everything, but not really "true" players for their position and both more of tweeners. Smith took three 3's per game at 27% this year. Smart took five 3's per game at 29%.

Is Smart not the PG version of Smith?
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#925 » by jakebernat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am

Q00 wrote:What's the difference between Smart and Smith, other than playing different positions?

Both tough defenders with an edge, who can do a little of everything, but not really "true" players for their position and both more of tweeners. Smith took three 3's per game at 27% this year. Smart took five 3's per game at 29%.

please don't compare smart and
smith's defense as smart is a true ball-stopper who actually understands team defense while smith is a low-IQ athlete who relies on his physical gifts to make plays.

smart also got to the line over 8 times a game and shot over 50% from 2.
Q00
Banned User

Post#926 » by Q00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:05 am

jakebernat wrote:
Q00 wrote:What's the difference between Smart and Smith, other than playing different positions?

please don't compare smart and
smith's defense as smart is a true ball-stopper who actually understands team defense while smith is a low-IQ athlete who relies on his physical gifts to make plays.

smart also got to the line over 8 times a game and shot over 50% from 2.

Just asking, because there's some fans willing to give their unborn child to trade Smith and his poor shot selection, but want to replace him by using the 8th pick on a PG with the same issue.

I guess I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here. Will you be ok if Smart is taking 5 three's per game next year and only shooting 29%?
Q00
Banned User

Post#927 » by Q00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 am

Here's Smart's strength's and weaknesses from DX. Aren't those all the same exact strength and weaknesses of Smith?

Q00
Banned User

Post#928 » by Q00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am

More DX analysis of Smart

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#929 » by vic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

One thing: josh is 28 and has not gotten any better
smart is 20? And is well known for better leadership already

Another: Detroit #1 need: perimeter defense at the point of attack. This is Smarts best skill.
Smith gives post defense and his perimeter defense on 3's is horrible.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Minas
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#930 » by Minas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am

Q00 wrote:Here's Smart's strength's and weaknesses from DX. Aren't those all the same exact strength and weaknesses of Smith?

'etcetera' lol
ThirdMan
Junior
And1: 125

Post#931 » by ThirdMan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:
joeposh wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned here, but Chad Ford just put out his latest mock draft and he has us taking Vonleh at #8 for his ability to stretch the floor and as an insurance policy on Monroe. He also has Gordon going #5 to the Celtics and Smart #7 to the Kings (for his leadership and size).

Full Mock Draft here (Insider required): http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mo ... r_fordmock

I expect a lot of this to shift post-combine though, given that he seemed tenuous about a lot of his picks and indicated that there was a high degree of uncertainty with some of these clubs given the flux in their front office (ours included obviously).

Heres a link that Insider isn't required.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10822094/nba-chad-ford-mock-draft-40-sc-app

A few observations.

1. I think the top four is pretty locked up with some form of the combination of Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum
2. I’m still not sure why Aaron Gordon is rated so highly when KJ McDaniels is rated so low.

3. IMO the loss of their frontcourt and Kobe will have the Lakers mangagement lean to an NBA ready big. Ie Gordon or Randle.

4. I would be shocked if the Kings allow Smart to get past them. They need a leader and Smart would fit in so well there. Smart and Thomas would a smaller backcourt but I think it could work.

5. The 76ers future would look amazing with MCW, Harris, Parker, and Noel.
Joining CGC's "#GetJeffGreen" bandwagon
ThirdMan
Junior
And1: 125

Post#932 » by ThirdMan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Q00 wrote:Here's Smart's strength's and weaknesses from DX. Aren't those all the same exact strength and weaknesses of Smith?

ThirdMan wrote:
Noah Vonleh:
He thanked strength and conditioning coach Je'Ney Jackson for helping bulk him up for Big Ten play, and he said he still has more to improve on both his post up game as well as his ball handling.
Crean praised Vonleh's work ethic time and time again, saying that that was the biggest common denominator between Vonleh, Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller. Crean said Vonleh went to Cook Hall on his first day at Indiana, then went back later that evening.
“He’s got an uncommon work ethic for his age," Crean said.
That also showed in the classroom. Vonleh credited academic advisor Marni Mooney for helping him complete 43 percent of his degree in his time at IU.
http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/In ... NBA-186574
He's just 18 years old, yet the former McDonald's All-American is built like an NBA veteran. He added 25 pounds -- that's not a typo -- of muscle during the summer, and he has more than held his own on the low block in the rough-and-tumble Big Ten.
He has a 7-3 wingspan, and he has a work ethic that keeps him in the gym when others have long ago left for the day.
http://campusinsiders.com/news/campus-insiders-news-item-e74674ff23b278ccc74ed492e6241762

Marcus Smart:
"I just kind of got in his head and let him know that it wasn't going to be easy," Smart said about talking with Clark. "A lot of top ranked high school kids fall off when they get to college because they stop working and they don't really understand the sacrifices and the work ethic that you are going to have to put in when you get there. Yeah, you have the hype all around you right now, but that means nothing if you don't come out and perform everyday."
Smart is one of the few elite recruits that managed to live up to expectations, and it is precisely the work ethic he described that allowed him to do so.

I'm not sure that Marcus Smart will ever become a top 10 player in the NBA, so it'd be foolish to sit here and say he'll be a legend one day. But I'm sure of this: If his game ever catches up to his character, which is fueled by the unceasing desire to perfect his craft, then the Hall of Honor that sits outside of Gallagher-Iba Arena won't be the only hall with a Marcus Smart plaque.
http://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2013/ ... oy-the-pro
I'm not as worried about the turnovers, and anyway, ballhandling (as a discrete skill) is much more difficult to improve on a year-over-year basis than shooting. Slightly tweaked mechanics and sheer workout repetition -- or even the former without the latter -- can produce better, smoother, more confident perimeter shooting. In July, Ford told the Oklahoman that was his biggest emphasis to his star point guard this offseason, that Smart had "really worked on it." Given the already legendary stories about Smart's work ethic, it is safe to assume he has shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 million 3s this summer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... rcus-smart

Anyways I did some googling on a few. I figure some other people can finish out the top ten. I think all players are going to be lauded by their coach/fans. It’s when you see people skip parties to get up early from the gym like Gordon, put on a significant amount of muscle like Noah, and work on their weakness (A/TO ratio) like Smart that you really start noticing these guys work ethic.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago on the work ethic and desire thread on the NBA draft forum.
Joining CGC's "#GetJeffGreen" bandwagon
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#933 » by joseph mamah » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

For me the difference is that one is a lazy, uncoachable, braindead, waste of space who only cares about cashing a paycheck and one isnt. The same reasons that I knew Smith was going to be garbage here, are the same reasons I think Smart can be successful, intangibles.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#934 » by rmfc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Vonleh is my choice. He would be fit in very nicely with Andre Drummond in our front court.
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#935 » by Clarity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:05 pm

jesus christ
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#936 » by Notanoob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah, he really is, but you cannot totally ignore his advantage in intangibles. He has the work ethic to improve, but that hasn't gotten Brandon Knight anywhere as a PG. Work ethic is not foolproof, some guys just don't have it.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#937 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Notanoob wrote:Vonleh, by most accounts, would be a good addition to our locker room too. Great work ethic, really nice, kind sort of kid. Innocent and sweet and all that. Everyone loved him at IU from what I've read. Not the leader we're still looking for, but he certainly would not be a bad addition from a chemistry standpoint.

But again, I'm itching for a trade down. I like Payne as a stretch big instead of Vonleh if we do so, since he's much safer (two seasons of accurate 3 point shooting), and is a better athlete (way better hops) and much stronger. Even if his post game doesn't translate that'll be fine, since he's a tough kid who hustles and all that and shooting is what we need first and foremost.

Throw in some wing prospects and we're golden. I'm hoping we land McDaniels first and foremost, and then there are a number of other guys who would be nice additions - James Young (local boy!), LaVine (would be a steal if it turns out he really is a PG and he learns to play defense) or Bogdanovic (Euro, good athlete, kind of like Young really).

I'm really intrigued by Kyle Anderson as a PF, so he'd be a prize instead of Payne.

Harris or Stauskas would not fit a need, since we have our SG and those two certainly can't play SF or PG, but I like their chances to pan out and they can shoot.

Hood would be a consolation prize at SF, since I don't like his upside to play defense in the NBA. However, he'd fit perfectly on offense for us at SF, so I wouldn't mind adding him.

Payton is my choice if we're desperate for PG defense after a trade down. If only he could shoot, he'd be a lottery pick level player.

Ive said befor that I like hood,never really saw him play but what I gather from draftx and other sites is that he just dosent have the tools to play defense,not knowing where to be,his foot placement.I really do hope/believe that once hes in the NBA and has better access to NBA coaches and resources,maybe he can turn that side of his game into at least avg,which would make him a pretty good 3-D sf who can knock down shoots like crazy.
Q00
Banned User

Post#938 » by Q00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Minas wrote:

'etcetera' lol

joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#939 » by joseph mamah » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:52 pm

^Sadly, the NBA has become a floppers league and it seems like everybody whines to the refs when things dont go their way.

The fan incident was pretty bad, and it soured me on him for a minute, but kids make mistakes and hopefully hes learned from that one.

This team needs an enforcer type, so the "history of getting physical" without any context as to with whom or in what situations doesnt give me any pause.

Would have liked to see him make a tourney run,. Im not going to make excuses for him,I didnt watch the game. He did have a respectable stat line in it, so im not sure what
went wrong in that one.
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#940 » by Notanoob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Smart is the kind of guys the Bad Boys would abuse. They'd get in his head and get him off his game.

He was flopping pretty bad in that last Kansas game at his place. I remember it pretty well.

Return to Detroit Pistons