ImageImageImage

The Annual CoachSearch Thread: 2014 Version

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#1 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:47 pm

Another year, another coach carcass or two to pour dirt on. Who will be our next coach/savior/victim? Here are some ideas. Maybe some are realistic, some not so much.

Group 0: The Incumbent
This year he showed he can get the job done. He tanked, he gave veterans the court time they needed to develop their games...What more could you ask?

Group 1: Established Names

Lionel Hollins
All aboard the Lionel Express! He's who we should've waited for last offseason. He's who we should've hired this midseason. Memphis took clear strides under Hollins every year he coached. Some give the credit to Joerger, and while he certainly deserves some, Hollins was doing work with Memphis before Joerger came. He would automatically give Detroit one of the top coaches in the league. After all the garbage we have recycled through these past few years, he would be a boon for the team.

A Van Gundy
Image Image
Staple them to each other and have them coach as one. They're sassy, they're obnoxious, they're also good coaches. Doubtful that either would come here, especially as how Jeff has badmouthed the Detroit coaching carousel, but a change in leadership might sway their opinion?

George Karl
I've never been a fan of his, but he knows how to steer a team to decency.

Nate McMillan
His teams always seemed to overachieve, but always came with complaints from the fan bases. Apparently two different sets of ownerships weren't impressed either. He still would've been a much better hire than Cheeks last offseason.

Group 2: Brad Stevens-type Deal
Look for for someone young, intelligent, with a great track record and give them a long term contract with stability and hope they grow into a Sloan or Popovich type of long term coach.

Shaka Smart
Kevin Ollie
Archie Miller

Group 3: Ready to Breakout Assistant Coaches
The Popovich Protoge well has gone dry...Who ya got?

Group 4: The Local Legends
Tom Izzo
Please don't leave Michigan St! You belong there!

Group 5: Give 'Em an Encore Performance!

Michael Curry
John Kuester
Lawrence Frank
Maurice Cheeks

Nah, just kidding.

Who else've ya got?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Re: The Annual CoachSearch Thread: 2014 Version 

Post#2 » by Spider156 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:20 pm

Could depend on our GM. If it's Isiah Thomas, he could well look at Lambeer as head coach
Defense wins championships
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#3 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:28 pm

Add hoiberg to the list. Not sure if it's a good gamble.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#4 » by Neptune » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:30 pm

Hollins seems like the best choice.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#5 » by dVs33 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:42 pm

Hollins is my favorite. He has proven success, especially with bigs. It just makes too much sense
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#6 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:42 pm

A little bit about Kevin Ollie from Wikipedia:

NBA player Kevin Durant in an interview with Grantland said that Kevin Ollie (who played for Oklahoma City Thunder in 2009-2010) "taught him the ropes", and "changed the culture of Oklahoma City". He also said, “Kevin Ollie, he was a game changer for us. I think he changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City. Just his mind set, professionalism, every single day. And we all watched that, and we all wanted to be like that. It rubbed off on Russell Westbrook, myself, Jeff Green, James Harden. And then everybody who comes through now, it’s the standard that you’ve got to live up to as a Thunder player. And it all started with Kevin Ollie.”

Ollie had previously played a similar role with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Jim Paxson, Cavaliers GM at the time, recalled his motivation for signing Ollie: "We thought he could come in and be a bridge for us at the point guard position," Paxson recalled, "and also be a good influence on our younger players, the primary one being LeBron." Paxson cited Ollie's "professionalism and approach to the game" as qualities the team valued. [4]

I honestly don't know about his game strategy and playbook, but it seems that a) NBA players respect him, and b)He's now experienced great success in a short time as a college coach. Hollins is far and away my first choice, but I would at least be intrigued in Ollie.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#7 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:49 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Add hoiberg to the list. Not sure if it's a good gamble.

Everything I'm hearing, Hoiberg is a shoe-in for the likely Minnesota vacancy if he wants it. Which, given his history, would be a superior fit across the board for the former sharp shooter.

The assistant coach pool has been depleted, because nearly half the league was looking for a coach last summer and plucked the cream of the crop (supposedly).

Regardless of who is GM, I think they kick the tires on Lionel Hollins.

I'd prefer the devil I didn't know, opposed to the one I do. Hollins (imho) is more of a leadership coach, who can motivate his players. His assistants did the grunt work, like handling their defensive schemes.

I don't believe Hollins will be a good fit for Detroit, unless he can bring along high quality assistants that will aid him in putting in those schemes. Additionally, Hollins could never get a solid offensive system in place in Memphis, despite having low post studs in Randolph and Gasol, along with Mike Conley (underrated) and not knowing how to integrate Rudy Gay properly with them. My point is- I can already knock Hollins pretty hard, even though he had one great playoff run. Living in the Memphis area, I've seen the teams ups and downs.

Kevin Ollie is getting a lot of praise right now. But, he just lets Napier play hero ball, and it's been working as Shabazz has been shooting lights out. I don't think that translates to a quality NBA HC, despite Ollie's NBA experience.

I'm hoping that the Warriors asst. GM gets the job (Schlenk?) and hopefully makes a smart hiring decision. There aren't any head coach candidates that I'm aware of that sound like a home run. I gave my piece on Hollins. George Karl teams always seem to be adequate, and not much better. Nate McMillan is a marginally better Lawrence Frank, in my opinion. And, the Super VanGundy Bros. aren't heading north to Detroit.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#8 » by Sheeeeed » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:53 pm

If Schlenk gets the front office job, I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea that Stan Van might be interested. They worked together in Miami.
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#9 » by Q00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:53 pm

Spider156 wrote:Could depend on our GM. If it's Isiah Thomas, he could well look at Lambeer as head coach

I agree. The best chance of getting Laimbeer in charge is probably putting Isiah in charge of the hiring process. If Isiah comes with Laimbeer as a package deal, I'd be ok with him as GM. Let Bill coach the team, Isiah run the draft, and the two can commune on free agents/trades.

I think they would compliment each other well. Where Isiah has proven to be a great at drafting, Laimbeer did a great job in the WNBA with FAs/trades (not the same as NBA but shows he knows how to piece together a team). Where Isiah is the soft spoken nice guy good for dealing with players behind the scenes, Bill is exactly the type of on-court disciplinarian they need at coach.

It wouldn't be my first choice (I really don't have a preference for coach, GM, or President), but it would definitely be one of the combos I'd be cool with if that's what Gores chose.
Q00
Banned User

Post#10 » by Q00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:56 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:If Schlenk gets the front office job, I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea that Stan Van might be interested. They worked together in Miami.

True. Also Mark Jackson if GS ends up making a coaching change (there are rumors they might)
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#11 » by Clarity » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:07 pm

Lionel Hollins is the no brainer.

If GS makes a Joe Dumars type of bumbling mistake & cans Mark Jackson we should absolutely talk to him too.
Q00
Banned User

Post#12 » by Q00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:26 pm

There might be a chance Scott Brooks ends up being available too. If OKC comes up short again, they might look for a more experience guy to lead them all the way.

He would be a great fit here with this young team. Very underrated coach. Its not just all Durant there.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#13 » by Han Solo » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:20 pm

Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#14 » by Bakuto » Sat Apr 5, 2014 11:18 pm

Hollins as head coach.

Assistant coaches

Rambis and Laimbeer - would help teach Drummond and Monroe to be more mean down low. They look too relaxed down there.
Hoiberg - would teach young wings, probably want a HC job though.
Billups - mentor for our PGs, would be to them what Rod Strickland was to him.
Sheed - friends with Drummond.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#15 » by Clarity » Sun Apr 6, 2014 12:37 am

Q00 wrote:There might be a chance Scott Brooks ends up being available too. If OKC comes up short again, they might look for a more experience guy to lead them all the way.

He would be a great fit here with this young team. Very underrated coach. Its not just all Durant there.

OKC isnt winning a title anytime soon & it has nothing to do with Scott Brooks or Kevin Durant.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#16 » by Pharaoh » Sun Apr 6, 2014 12:48 am

JVG & SVG as VP, GM & Coach.

SVG is open to all the analytical stuff despite questioning some of the context.

I think you could sell them on the fact they could build an entire franchise in their image with ease.

We have some pieces, some roster flexibility, some talent. What we need are people who can put it all together.

If not the VGs then Hollins as Coach is the obvious choice. But the decision will depend on what the new GM tries to do:

If we're going to just add to what we have we need an experienced hardliner.

If it's gonna be a fire sale then all bets are off

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#17 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Apr 6, 2014 12:50 am

If we sign laimbeer I'll be pissed.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#18 » by Neptune » Sun Apr 6, 2014 12:58 am

We have to get Hollins or we'll be facing another terrible season. I can't see any other coach that would get the attention of our locker room. If Billups and Smith respects the coach our team will follow.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#19 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:10 am

Q00 wrote:If Isiah comes with Laimbeer as a package deal, I'd be ok with him as GM.

This.

This is why people don't respect what you have to say.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#20 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:12 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:If we sign laimbeer I'll be pissed.

People on these forums are so nostalgia blind to the bad boys, it's sad.

Return to Detroit Pistons