Vince Ellis: Dumars to return in Executive Advisor role

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Vince Ellis: Dumars to return in Executive Advisor role 

Post#1 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Vincent Ellis ‏@Vincent_Ellis56 7m
Source: Dumars has agreed to remain on as executive adviser to the #Pistons, but away from basketball operations.

Vincent Goodwill ‏@vgoodwill 6m
Sources: Dumars will remain with the #Pistons in a lower capacity, an adviser role, and will be allowed to look for other opportunities.

Vincent Ellis ‏@Vincent_Ellis56 6m
#Pistons executives George David and Ken Cantanella will run team through draft and free agency as ownership conducts search for replacement

:o
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Vince Ellis: Dumars to return in Executive Advisor role 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:22 pm

WTF
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#3 » by princeofpalace » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Well we know he's not the GM anymore.

Now I have to hold my breathe and pray that Gores doesn't hire a moron like Isiah Thomas
Q00
Banned User

Post#4 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm pretty ****ing annoyed at Joe staying, as they should be doing a complete house cleaning.

The part that really bothers me though is why the **** are they going to let David/Catanella make our pick and spend our capspace in FA??

What's the point of hiring a new GM at all, if you are going to wait until all his offseason job duties have already been done by someone else? Why would you not give your new GM the power to make the decisions on the draft/FA?

Gores is a f*cking idiot
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#5 » by Joe Berry » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Jesus Christ, lets hope he finds another opportunity asap. Executive adviser but it has nothing to do with basketball? it sounds like a bull$hit position made up for him until he finds another job.
The draft is at the end of June, i can't believe this dumba$$ Gores can't find a new GM who can take over in like a month. WTF has this ownership been doing the last 3 months, they knew Dumars was done but now will take like 2,3 months to find a proper GM???
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#6 » by princeofpalace » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Q00 wrote:I'm pretty ****ing annoyed at Joe staying, as they should be doing a complete house cleaning.

The part that really bothers me though is why the **** are they going to let David/Catanella make our pick and spend our capspace in FA??

What's the point of hiring a new GM at all, if you are going to wait until all his offseason job duties have already been done by someone else? Why would you not give your new GM the power to make the decisions on the draft/FA?

Gores is a f*cking idiot

Gores is an idiot.

But common sense says that you don't rush into this hire just to have the new guy select our draft pick. Id much rather have Joe around to "advise" David/Catanella then for Gores to rush and hire a **** GM. At the very least, Joe is a very good drafter.
OneBadMutha
Sixth Man
And1: 189

Post#7 » by OneBadMutha » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:31 pm

You guys will all soon find out...that Gores is the bigger issue than Dumars. This franchise is a circus.
BasedWiseman
Junior
And1: 21

Post#8 » by BasedWiseman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#9 » by Kilo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 pm

So he advises who is hired as his replacement? Screw this crap. Gores is a hot mess as owner. Clueless donkey.

Hammond will probably be fired in Milwaukee and Dumars will "advise" to bring him in.

Cue up Entry of the Gladiators circus tune...
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Not looking good
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#11 » by rmfc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Gores, FTW!!!
Q00
Banned User

Post#12 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 pm

princeofpalace wrote:
Q00 wrote:I'm pretty ****ing annoyed at Joe staying, as they should be doing a complete house cleaning.

Gores is a f*cking idiot

Gores is an idiot.

But common sense says that you don't rush into this hire just to have the new guy select our draft pick. Id much rather have Joe around to "advise" David/Catanella then for Gores to rush and hire a **** GM. At the very least, Joe is a very good drafter.

I get that, but Gores knew this was coming for months already. There's really no excuse for him to take this long to make these decisions. Other teams don't seem to have a problem getting a new GM in place before the draft. The Knicks got theirs done in March.

It took him months on both coaching hires too and neither panned out. So I'm not sure time is really helping him in these hires. It might even be hindering him. I think one of Gores' problems as an owner has been taking too long on these things, and he ends up overthinking and outsmarting himself.

This report is odd too because he just said last month that as soon as the season ended he was going to act quickly on the front office decisions, as if he already had a guy in mind to hire. Maybe that is still the case, and David/Catanella are just going to stay on to scout, but won't actually be making any decisions.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#13 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Loyalty is important in many aspects of life. For teams to show loyalty to an extent is good; players know they won't get screwed over and want to play for a team that is going to take care of them. To draw a hockey parallel, for example, the Red Wings are an extremely loyal organization. You play your career here and you will be given opportunities. Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby did many many years each with the team and got opportunities to continue in executive roles. I love that.

But then you get to be too loyal. The Ford family is loathe to fire people (and we see how Lions loyalty has worked out). This is another example of clinging to the past for no good reason. Clinging to the past, I would argue, is why we find ourselves here. Joe didn't have the foresight to see a good thing ending and held on a year or two too long. And here we are: Rewarding failure with another opportunity to stick around. It's embarrassing.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#14 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 pm

I am actually happy about this. I don't want to go through the draft and free agency process with no direction and no leadership. Dumars has been a fantastic drafter so hopefully he can help us land one more valuable piece in this draft before he is gone. The thing I am worried about most is Gores and these other guys playing it safe this offseason and ending up with the same dysfunctional roster as this year. Dumping Smith and Jennings should be a priority this offseason.
Q00
Banned User

Post#15 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:48 pm

So...are Norment & Wentworth our new President & GM?

David Mayo ‏@David_Mayo 12m
The front office will remain largely unchanged but Platinum Equity execs Phil Norment, Bob Wentworth will oversee operations. #Pistons

wtf is going on here :noway:
Q00
Banned User

Post#16 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:51 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Loyalty is important in many aspects of life. For teams to show loyalty to an extent is good; players know they won't get screwed over and want to play for a team that is going to take care of them. To draw a hockey parallel, for example, the Red Wings are an extremely loyal organization. You play your career here and you will be given opportunities. Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby did many many years each with the team and got opportunities to continue in executive roles. I love that.

But then you get to be too loyal. The Ford family is loathe to fire people (and we see how Lions loyalty has worked out). This is another example of clinging to the past for no good reason. Clinging to the past, I would argue, is why we find ourselves here. Joe didn't have the foresight to see a good thing ending and held on a year or two too long. And here we are: Rewarding failure with another opportunity to stick around. It's embarrassing.

David Mayo ‏@David_Mayo 16m
Joe Dumars will not have his contract renewed as #Pistons president, in an ownership decision. He did NOT resign.

Based on this tweet, it sounds like pretty boy Gores was afraid to tell Joe to GTFO, and instead he probably said 'we're not going to renew your contract, Joe, but you're more than welcome to stay as long as you want as an advisor. Its up to you, Joe. You're the boss.'
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#17 » by Joe Berry » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Q00 wrote:So...are Norment & Wentworth our new President & GM?

David Mayo ‏@David_Mayo 12m
The front office will remain largely unchanged but Platinum Equity execs Phil Norment, Bob Wentworth will oversee operations. #Pistons

wtf is going on here :noway:

wow, and i thought this season can't get any worse. just wow :banghead:

Which good GM candidate would like to take over like when draft and free agency is already done basically. This ownership group is a joke, sell the fcking team if you have no idea what you are doing with this franchise ! GTFO!
piston1423
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#18 » by piston1423 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Guys...he's not going to be the GM. He's not going to be the guy making the final decisions on trades or FA signings. He's pretty much just going to be a guy who "helps" the new GM make decisions. It's not like the new GM will have to listen to everything Joe has to say. We're going to be fine.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#19 » by DCintheD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm

I like this.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#20 » by kurtis48239 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:56 pm

I dont mind joe staying on to advise on the draft,but I really hope gores dosent let his buddies run the team next season.We need a REAL BASKETBALL GM.Will this be the point when fans look back and relize gores **** this team hard.

Return to Detroit Pistons