ImageImageImage

Post Your Offseason Plan

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post Your Offseason Plan 

Post#1 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:29 pm

It seems like the offseason has been something to look forward to more than the regular season lately in Pistons basketball. We have a huge offseason ahead of us with the draft, free agency, and filling the GM and coaching positions. Post what you would like to see us do. Here is my plan.

GM: Grant Hill

Coach: Lionel Hollins, Rasheed to stay on as Drummond's tutor

Trade 1: Josh Smith/#8 to Boston for #5. Boston gets immediate help, reunites Smith with Rondo, and only moves back a few spots in the draft. We kill two birds with one stone by dumping Smith and moving up to grab a better player.

Draft: Marcus Smart. We get a defensive minded PG to replace Jennings. Jennings will be buried on the bench until he is traded or expires.

Free Agency: Sign Rudy Gay/Luol Deng/Danny Granger to be our new starting SF. Dumping Smith will give us some capspace to sign one of those guys.

Resign Stuckey to come off the bench as our 6th man. We need as much guard help as we can get and I thought Stuckey was decent this year.

Jerebko hopefully opts out.

Pick up Billups option.

Sign a big man like Jordan Hill/Darrel Arthur/Patrick Patterson.

Trade Block: Jennings, Bynum, Datome. Hopefully we can get expirings for them.

Final Roster for next season:

Smart/Billups/Siva
Caldwell-Pope/Stuckey
Gay/Singler
Monroe/Hill/Mitchell
Drummond/Harrelson

What do you guys think of this plan? I think it is pretty simple and realistic and gets this team headed in the right direction. What is your plan?
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,960

Re: Post Your Offseason Plan 

Post#2 » by MrBigShot » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:15 pm

I actually really like your plan quite a bit. I'm not sure I'd want to commit long-term to Deng who turns 30 next year, but he can flat out play and he's still in his prime. Granger's best days are behind him...I don't see him as a starter. Rudy Gay scares me a bit because he's a bit volatile. He was absolutely awful earlier in the year with Toronto, but really turned it around in Sac town and ended up putting up 20/6/3 on solid efficiency. All in all I'd rank them Deng/Gay/Granger in terms of preference.

I also think there's a big chance that Jerebko opts out. If things continue, he may not get another contract after this one is up. If he values opportunity, he'll sign somewhere else.

Smart can't shoot but I think his issues are correctable. I love the fact the way he plays. He takes losing personally and it shows. When it comes to draft projections, work ethic and passion for the game are very important factors and by all accounts, Smart has both.

As for Stuck...I think we should move on and go in a different direction. Lionel Hollins is the obvious hire as far as coaching goes imo. But whether or not Gores & the new GM will think so, I'm not sure.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#3 » by Clarity » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Not mad at that plan, that team would be a blast to watch.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#4 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 pm

You jumped the shark. It's too early for these off-season plans. We don't even know if we have a draft pick yet. Won't know until the end of May.

Additionally, how the playoffs unfold can have far reaching effects on free agency and coach availability.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#5 » by Sheeeeed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:38 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:You jumped the shark. It's too early for these off-season plans. We don't even know if we have a draft pick yet. Won't know until the end of May.

Additionally, how the playoffs unfold can have far reaching effects on free agency and coach availability.

Who knows, if the Bulls get bounced in the 1st round, maybe they foolish fire Tibs.
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#6 » by joseph mamah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Pres.- Donnie Walsh
Vice Pres- Chauncey
GM- ???
Coach- Hollins or Fizdale

Draft Smart

Sign Sefelosha, Brandon Rush and Patterson or McBob

Or

Draft McDaniels and Stauskas

Sign Lowry, Rush and Clark

Try to trade Jennings and Smith without having to give up an assett, if I cant, I tell Jennings to go home and try to make the best of a bad situation with Smith.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#7 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 am

Sheeeeed wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:You jumped the shark. It's too early for these off-season plans. We don't even know if we have a draft pick yet. Won't know until the end of May.

Who knows, if the Bulls get bounced in the 1st round, maybe they foolish fire Tibs.

That would be shocking, considering how much they've accomplished without Rose or Deng.

But, if the Pacers get ousted early, Vogel could hit the open market.

But, if Stephenson completely melts down, his price could plummet. Players could go on the trading block, etc.

It's just too early to tell. That was my point. Let's at least see where or if we're picking in the draft before we start projecting the summer out.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#8 » by Sheeeeed » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:

That would be shocking, considering how much they've accomplished without Rose or Deng.

But, if Stephenson completely melts down, his price could plummet. Players could go on the trading block, etc.

It's just too early to tell. That was my point. Let's at least see where or if we're picking in the draft before we start projecting the summer out.

Idk, with all that stuff that's been put out there about tension between Tibs and the bulls front office the last couple of years, I don't think it would be too shocking.
E-Z
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#9 » by E-Z » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 am

There isn't a clear cut plan like last off-season, so I'll kick back and enjoy the plans offered here. I'm weary of the paper teams if it doesn't involve multiple top ten talents.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#10 » by princeofpalace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 am

Sorry DP, I think this plan is lousy.

You have us acquiring two nonshooters in Smart and Gay. How do they work with Monroe and Drummond? We need perimeter players that can shoot and defend. Neither Smart nor Gay fit the bill.

Also, aside from being a former Piston, why Grant Hill?

I will post my plan in the AM. But the cliff notes version is- draft PG Zach Lavine, Sign SF Trevor Ariza. Trade Josh Smith for anything
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#11 » by Ghost » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:

Well there's a lot of rumors flying around Mark Jackson may be on his way out too ... Not saying I'd really like that hire, but it shows that a lot can happen in the playoffs which I agree with. I could see Vogul getting fired if they get bounced in the first two rounds and look terrible after that meltdown.

So, fantasy offseason for me (as of right now) would be:
GM: Laimbeer
HC: Izzo

Trade Monroe for a draft pick (15-20 range (just for ease)). Trade Smith for whatever... Literally, don't care. I'd take Amare. I'd do #8+Smith for #5 like was suggested in here. I'm sick of their bitching. Not sure about Jennings yet.. Maybe losing his starter spot to a rookie would light a fire under him (okay that could be a bad thing too, but his contract is shorter and less toxic at least :lol: ).

Draft Smart and Payne. Sign PJ Tucker and Mike Miller. Resign Harrelson. Tell Jerebko he'll get more minutes if he ops in. Fill out the roster with hustle players/high rep vets/defenders on the cheap.

Smart / Jennings / Siva
KCP / Miller
Tucker / Singler
Payne / Jerebko
Drummond / Harrelson

At least that would begin creating an identity for playing hard, playing defense, and being athletic. Plus, I think Izzo would really like that group and could work with them. Oh, and I'm ready for the ridicule of saying take Payne. But at least he can stretch the floor, high IQ player, very athletic, and is a leader. Smart/Payne/Izzo all together would bring a lot of fire. At least they'd be entertaining to watch and give it their all... Even if it didn't translate into immediate success in the terms of wins. I'd rather see a group killing themselves every night to win 29 games than what this year was though and there's really a lot of room to improve on that roster.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#12 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:03 am

Sheeeeed wrote:Idk, with all that stuff that's been put out there about tension between Tibs and the bulls front office the last couple of years, I don't think it would be too shocking.

That's all hearsay for the most part. If they did fire Thibs, he would have 20+ job offers within an hour of the news breaking.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#13 » by DBC10 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:

Agreed. To put some context, Vogel lost the locker room towards the middle of their season. Unless something extraordinary happened, I wouldn't put it past the Pacers to get bounced in the 1st round. Vogel will no doubt take the hit from Bird, citing Locker room reasons, and we can make a bid for him.

Thibs won't be fired despite the rumors (from Woj especially) saying that there's much turmoil between the ownership and him. He's still a huge asset to keep the Bulls from completely falling apart and they're not going to act hastily in response to a lousy playoff exit when they're missing players. That's Pistons level of foolishness and they are pretty tightly run in comparison.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#14 » by sfballa13 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 am

We have two huge issues:
1. Huge hole at SF
2. Smith needs to go before the season starts, period.

Plan #1
If Golden State flames out I can see us offering Smith/Bynum for David Lee.
If not the Warriors maybe we can move Smith for KG's retiring deal or another dead weight player like Amare.
Someone, anyone, somehow.

I think that Monroe + 8 should be able to move us into the top 3 to grab Jabari.

I would be willing to trade Monroe + 8 for Parker + Mayo + Ilyasova from the Bucks

Then we throw the rest of our remaining space at Lowry and hope he signs

Lowry / Jennings
KCP / Mayo
Parker / Singler
Lee / Ilyasova
Drummond / Harrelson

I just dont see any viable options for the SF position going into this offseason. Who could we possibly get thru trade or FA signing?

---------------------------------------------

Plan #2
1. Trade Smith to Boston for Green + Bass
2. Trade Monroe + #8 + trash for Love + Kmart (maybe we call in a favor with our old alcoholic friend Flip)
3. Sign Lowry to as much as we can offer

Lowry / Jennings
Kmart / KCP
Green / Singler
Love / Bass
Drummond / Harrelson
tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#15 » by tradez401 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 am

Trade josh smith for Thaddeus young
wallacex2jc
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#16 » by wallacex2jc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:52 am

1. Trade Smith for KG (if he really couldn't performed in the playoff this year this Brooklyn willing to deal him), best case scenario he retires right away

...and then Jennings for Perkins (either let him rot on the bench or have him insert some toughness on this team)

2. Try a sign and trade with Monroe and see if I can get Ty Lawson and Quincy Miller.

3. Draft the best scorer available in the first round and the best shooter available in the second round.

4. Sign Ramon Sessions and Spencer Hawes in FA

Then when the season begins, Drummond will have the paint all by himself with a stretch four, a dynamic PG who can actually do some stuff on both ends of the court, a more matured KCP, and some more shooters on the roster. Since we hype about Drummond being better than Dwight Howard, I think he can do a better job than Howard in terms of controlling the paint.

Btw, what do you think about Isiah Thomas being our head coach? I always think PG coaches have a higher chance or succeeding
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#17 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 am

princeofpalace wrote:Sorry DP, I think this plan is lousy.

You have us acquiring two nonshooters in Smart and Gay. How do they work with Monroe and Drummond? We need perimeter players that can shoot and defend. Neither Smart nor Gay fit the bill.

Also, aside from being a former Piston, why Grant Hill?

I will post my plan in the AM. But the cliff notes version is- draft PG Zach Lavine, Sign SF Trevor Ariza. Trade Josh Smith for anything

I agree that spacing is a bit of an issue, although its not like Gay is an awful outside shooter or anything. I would be fine with going after Ariza instead to add more shooting but I think we would be sacrificing overall talent if we went that route. I think there are some good options at SF in free agency if Gay isn't the best option.

I am big on Marcus Smart because of his defense mainly but also his toughness and ability to get into the paint, finish with contact, and pass the ball well enough to keep our bigs involved. I also think we need to get back to running our offense more through Monroe rather than having a PG dominate the ball. He can't shoot but I will still take his overall game over Jennings any day of the week. IMO, Jennings' matador defense was the number one catalyst for our terrible team defense and I don't think I can bare to watch anything poor defensive PG again. Another option would be to go after Lowry and use our pick on a SF. Again I think we have multiple options here.

Lastly, I chose Grant Hill because I have no information on all of these other GMs that would allow me to make an education assessment of their skills. Basically I chose Grant Hill by default lol. Ill admit that.
wallace72
Junior
And1: 83

Post#18 » by wallace72 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

You're right,
can't look in the future, also be aware off injury's, even if our season is over,
everything can happen yet!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#19 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Players I'd be looking at for various reasons are:

Pau Gasol - see if the Lakers want Smith in a Sign and Trade. I'd pay the least possible to make it work under the cap (within 125%). If Gasol didn't bite he can take whatever cheap offers are around for him.

Hawes - another sign and trade option involving Smith.

Aminu, Sefolosha, Blake, Vasquez, Brandon Rush, Jordan Hill, DaJuan Blair, Hinrich, Ridnour, Wes Johnson, Jodie Meeks, DJ Augustine & Sessions all have me interested to varying degrees with money being an obvious factor

Even a guy like Aaron Brooks holds some interest...which says more about my opinion of Jennings than it does about Brooks ability to move the needle.

I'll re-iterate my points from last season....we need:

Shooters to space the floor

A guard that can actually play to our strengths (the paint!)

At least one veteran that won't back down in the locker room or to an opponent.

Wing 3 & D types and if they can't shoot they better play good D

Pretty simple really. The names might change but the roles remain the same...only Joe Dumars could waste $18 million in cap space twice and fail to fill one role both times!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#20 » by princeofpalace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Here is my audition for GM.

In the event that I don't get the job, Scott Perry is the best GM option. Why? Because he has extensive FO experience and ties to the community. He started out as a basketball scout and moved up through there. He has history working with great teams as evidenced by his time with Detroit when we were good. He also knows what a rebuild looks like since he''s currently with the Magic. IRC, he was the guy who was not only responsible for drafting AA but also the guy who traded for him in ORL. He also was behind the Tobias Harris deal and landed ORL Vucevic. He has a history of solid moves.

Cocahing: Hollins. Why? Obvious reasons, he's the best coach on the market. And would know how to bring out the best in Monroe/Drummond.

Draft: -8- Zach Lavne. He has the highest upside of any PG propsect not named Dante Exum. Hes a very good shooter, and is incredibly athletic. He has the tools to be a good defender but does need work in that area. He is a project no doubt. But, I think we should swing for the fences with this next pick.

#38- SG- Jabari Brown. Brown is a knock down shooter and very good perimeter defender. He has the tools to become a solid 3 and D guy.

#46( Will Bynum to WAS or any team) for a 2nd. Draft BPA.

Trades
Detroit trades: Josh Smith,Gigi Datome,
Phoneix tradess: Gerald Green, Channing Frye
Why for us? Moving Smith is addition by substraction, we get guys who aren't the greatest talents but are expiring contracts and good fits. Channing Frye can be a solid bigman off the bench to spread the floor. And Green is a very good shooter and has become a good defender. Why for Phoenix? They came so close to the playoffs and are one of the few teams that could actually benefit from acquiring Smith at PF, especially when it doesn't cost them much.

Free Agency
Resign PF/C Greg Monroe- Monroe is a consistent 17/10 guy from PF or C when given the PT. He isn't as bad a defender as some pretend. He will rebound, score in the post and can facilitate the offense in a pinch. We should absolutely re sign him and continue to pair him with Drummond.

Sign SF- Trevor Ariza, Ariza is shooting 40% from 3 on 6 attempts a game and is a good defender. He would open up the floor for our two bigs allowing them the space that they need to excel. He isn't a big name, but we don't need names, we need guys who can play Pistons basketball and Ariza is definitely a great fit.

Sign PG- Patty Mills. Mills is a solid backup PG that can shoot and defend.

2014-2015 Detroit Pistons
Brandon Jennings/Patty Mills/Zach Lavine
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope/Gerald Green/Jabari Brown
Trevor Ariza/Kyle Singler/Jonas Jerebko
Greg Monroe/Channing Frye/Tony Mitchell
Andre Drummond/Josh Harrelson /

This team doesn't have any big names but they do fit. The last thing we should do is acquire "named" players just becsuse they are a big name. We did that last offseason and the results were atrocious. We need pieces who fit, period. The Rudy Gays, Luol Deng's of the world would be terrible fits with our young bigs because they are average shooters at best. Our perimeter players need to be able to stretch the floor. We need to build around our bigs and our bigs need to be surrounded by perimeter player who can shoot. We have already seen the altnernative and its not pretty.

This is a team has good perimeter defenders in KCP, Ariza, Green, Mills. It also is loaded with proven shooters in Green (40% from 3 on 6 attempts), Ariza (40% from 3 on 6 attempts), Frye (37% from 3 on 5 attempts), Singler (38% on 3 attempts a game), Mills (43% on 4 attempts a game) Jennings, and KCP are also better shooters than they showed last season. This is a playoff team IMO with room to grow as long as Drummond is continuing to grow.

Return to Detroit Pistons