ImageImageImage

Slightly OT: Sophomores

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Who gets a SIGNIFICANT boost next year from this year's disappointing rookie?

CLE (Bennet)
4%
WAS (Porter)
2%
CHA (Zeller)
4%
PHX (Len)
2%
SAC (McLemore)
7%
DET (KCP)
32%
POR (McCollum)
9%
BOS (Olynyk)
11%
MIN (Muhammad & Dieng)
7%
MIL (Giannis)
23%

Total votes: 56

DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Slightly OT: Sophomores 

Post#1 » by DocRI » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Slightly off-topic, but the KCP highlights in the other thread got me thinking about how lousy this year's rookie class performed overall. Which led me to this question — which team(s) are going to improve from within when this year's "disappointing rookie" becomes next year's "breakout sophomore?" All of these players got very limited opportunities this year for various reasons, so which ones take a major step forward next year? For teams in the lotto (like us and MIL), it would mean the equivalent of adding two lottery-talent young players to their team at once; for teams like WAS, CHA and POR, it would mean a playoff team adding another young weapon to their rotation.

For the record, ORL (Oladipo), UTA (Burke) and PHI (Carter-Williams) were excluded because their rookies did get a significant opportunity to make an impact this year (at least in comparison to the rest of their draft class). Also, Nerlens Noel was left off this list because he will be considered a rookie NEXT season despite being drafted in 2013.

Feel free to pick as many options as you want or to nominate anyone I didn't list. Thanks!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Re: Slightly OT: Sophomores 

Post#2 » by DBC10 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Dieng has been impressive when he started in place of an injured Pekovic so I think he's a safe bet to blow away a lot of rookies next season.

But for a homer pick, I think KCP. As long as we stop with acquiring veteran contracts that feel obligated to play hero-ball on every possession instead of feeding the young guys, I think we'll see a noticeable improvement from him and others.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#3 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Too early to tell, as how those teams come together over the off-season will dictate opportunity.

I chose KCP, mostly because he's the one I hope has a breakout season and could care less about any of the other rookies popping.

Also, with Stuckey chasing a paycheck and gone, KCP is the incumbent SG with plenty of minutes until we see what happens in the draft and free agency. If we sign Lance Stephenson, then KCP's minutes will shrink.

Basically- it's too early to tell. I hope KCP is the right choice.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#4 » by coolness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Len
KCP
McCollum
Olynyk
Dieng
Giannis Alphabet

and the others have a chance too. Strongly doubting ShaMu and Bennett.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#5 » by The Penguin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Bennett & Porter worry me that I'm not sure either can actually play a position. Bennett looks like he's stuck behind Thompson/AV/Hawes and he's clearly not a 3. Porter may get more of a chance depending what they do with Ariza, but he couldn't get on the floor last year.

McRoberts looks like a much better fit next to Jefferson & Kidd-Gilchrist. The Zeller pick is still a bit of a head scratcher but I guess they didn't have Jefferson at the time.

McLemore worries me just in the sense he looks like he's never going to be an assertive guy and appears to be a solid 4th in the pecking order with Boogie-Gay-Thomas around.

Dieng & Len may struggle to get PT unless a move happens with those teams.

McCollum didn't see the court last year, same with Shabazz.

Giannis probably has the highest ceiling, but he's got so much learning to do.

I picked KCP, partially out of homerism but mainly because I think he's really going to get a fair shot next year with Stuckey gone and Loyer no longer trying to win every game. His shot didn't fall all that much when he had a chance this year but he never became passive, he already looks like he's a strong NBA defender and at the very least it looks like he'll be a strong 3 & D player at least starting next year, something we badly need.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I picked the bucks.
I think Giannis has great potential and he works very hard. If he works on his strength and fundamentals this offseason he'll be a huge improvement for the bucks.

I would have loved to have voted for KCP, but theres so many unknowns for detroit this offseason, it's hard to gauge.
KCP has great potential tho. If we get a SF that spaces the floor it not only creates room for moose and Dre it opens the floor for slashing which i think KCP can do well.
He has a lot of potential IMO. with the right changes to the roster, he could have a big season.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#7 » by MrBigShot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 pm

I think it's between Dieng & KCP. KCP is obviously a lot more capable than the production he put up this year. He just needs opportunity. That means calling plays for him, Moose finding him on cuts, allowing him to create out of P&R and take dribble pull ups ect...

Dieng played great at the end of the year and is a far better fit next to Love than Pekovic is.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Dieng
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#9 » by Q00 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Such an underwhelming list. I'd say the greek freak and Dieng
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#10 » by Clarity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 am

McCollum at the top.

KCP. Otto & Shabazz have a shot too.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#11 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 am

Giannis- the kid is going to be the next nba superstar, he's oozing with talent and he's still so raw.

Mccollum- if he stays healthy he's going to open some eyes, the question is can he impact a game, i think stats and highlight wise, he'll warrant discussion

KCP- kids a absolute stud, on both ends of the floor, he'll be in the discussion if he can get minutes

Mclemore- I think he's going to turn heads, but i think the Kings organization is still horrible at development of talent and i don't think he's in the right environment to thrive
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,935

Post#12 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am

Giannis is more than another year away, so I didn't pick him.

Dieng, KCP, Olynyk are the most likely to take a step forward next year with a combination of playing time and improvement.

Return to Detroit Pistons