ImageImageImage

Pacers sign Rodney Stuckey (OFFICIAL)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Pacers sign Rodney Stuckey (OFFICIAL) 

Post#61 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 pm

DAMN! now who's going to make pointless 3's at the end of games?

Honestly good riddance. i appreciate stuckey's loyalty to Detroit all these years, but he really didn't prove to be anything more than a 6th man with all his potential. hopefully he can take it too the next level in indy.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#62 » by dVs33 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:31 pm

The guy had like 6 coaches in 7 years. I was reading an interview from him and it just reminded me of how horribly Dumars did in the last few years. I hope he does well in Indy.
BayAreaTreyArea
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#63 » by BayAreaTreyArea » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:01 am

stuckey should have always been a vinnie johnson type. an instant offense type who can get you 25 on a good night and 12 on a bad night off the bench. he comes in the game and scores and doesnt look to pass. he can jack it up and you let him know that from day one. instead he is the savior of your franchise and the reason you break up a team that went to 6 straight eastern conference finals. that is just aweful. if you look at the spurs now with the old guys they had and the new guys they plug in next to them they are winning and titles at that. we could have still competed for a few more years instead of trading chauncey. why break up something that is working at such a high level. look what we have now. stuckey isnt at fault but he is the reason that trade went down. i wish him well and liked him as a competitor. if he could finish better i think he could have been a much better player. but to break up a team winning so big for him was just :crazy:
Pistons vs. Warriors in the Finals in 2017 - With KCP hitting a game winner so the Pistons dont get swept.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#64 » by Ghost » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 am

Was really excited when I saw the Stuckey highlights on draft night, I can remember thinking that he could develop into a really good player for us. We had Rip and Chauncey, adding another big guard that could bully people was attractive. Of course, his range never developed into much which was a let down and he isn't really a point guard type, but as an off the bench 2guard with the right team around him, there's no doubt he could be successful.

Will that team be the Pacers? I strongly doubt it. They could easily be a disaster next season.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#65 » by The_Irony » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Stuckey should have had a 6th man of the year award if used right.. Major mistake thinking you had your Chauncey replacement that early and you end up trading the better pick from the same draft to the same team that fleeced you in the Iverson trade and you got f'ing Vernon Macklin out of it :lol:
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#66 » by 8305 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Question from a Pacer fan:

Does Stuckey handle the point well enough to get backup minutes at that position? We have CJ Watson in that role now, not a bad backup but given all the years of experience Stuckey got at the point with Detroit I wonder if he could be an upgrade?
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#67 » by dVs33 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 pm

8305 wrote:Question from a Pacer fan:

Does Stuckey handle the point well enough to get backup minutes at that position? We have CJ Watson in that role now, not a bad backup but given all the years of experience Stuckey got at the point with Detroit I wonder if he could be an upgrade?

Stuckey doesn't really have the vision to be a full time PG. He's a willing passer, but he's never had that natural ability to run an offense. He'll beat down smaller PG and post them up. He's good at using his size and explosiveness to get to he rim especially against smaller PGs. If he's switched-on on defense, he's pretty good at either guard spot.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#68 » by kurtis48239 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 am

8305 wrote:Question from a Pacer fan:

If you ask me,stuckey is a good passer and ball handler and does have good court vision (which he has displayed),I think being on this disfunctional team gave him bad habits.I dont think anyone would be suprised if he ended up taking over the pg spot for you.You have a big ,strong,pg,whos a decent mid range shooter,and bullys most pgs.

I honestly cant wait to watch your team this year just to see what develops with stuck.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#69 » by Cowology » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 am

Well... he's not a natural PG, but I'd take Stuckey over Jennings. He's a willing passer and will find the open man, but he's not likely to create for others or make the players around him better. Stuckey tends to commit early in a play and once he's decided to attack the basket he's looking to score.

Here is the dilemma; Stuckeys skill-set would be best utilized in a 2-guard set or Princeton style offense where he's sharing ball-handling duties... except he lacks the other necessary skill that makes this setup functional; a consistent outside shot. He's not good enough to have the ball in his hands all the time and be a true playmaker, but he's got very little value off the ball. He's in no-mans land.

Stuckey should be a 6th-7th man for a good team getting 24-28 mpg. He can play 2 or maybe 3 positions, is solid defensively and can generate some offense. He can post up smaller players and is good at drawing contact against bigger defenders. Decent on the glass, solid at the line and on defense. But it often feels like his presence is a wash at best, like his lack of a defined role diminishes his actual impact. Maybe it's because we've been so bad, I dunno. I'm actually curious to see how he does in Indy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a very solid year and you guys actually wind up liking him. He's not bad at anything, he's just not great at anything either.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,921

Post#70 » by tmorgan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 am

Stuckey's a solid player. Actually, the best comp for Stuckey right now is Dwyane Wade -- the current version that has lost a lot of his explosiveness.

Stuckey has always been a poor man's Wade. Same weak outside shot, same reckless drives. He's actually a little stronger than his idol, but he never had the first step or the hops that made younger Wade a complete demon.

He'll be fine running point for you for short stretches. He doesn't have the ball skills that Lance has, but they're decent enough. What'll drive you crazy are the endless drives into traffic looking for a call that doesn't always come. Somehow, Wade managed to convince the refs early on that any kind of contact means he deserves free throws. Stuckey, most nights, doesn't get that kind of respect. Instead, he gets way too many balls swatted back in his face.
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#71 » by Redeemed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am

tmorgan wrote:Stuckey's a solid player. Actually, the best comp for Stuckey right now is Dwyane Wade -- the current version that has lost a lot of his explosiveness.

Stuckey has always been a poor man's Wade. Same weak outside shot, same reckless drives. He's actually a little stronger than his idol, but he never had the first step or the hops that made younger Wade a complete demon.

He'll be fine running point for you for short stretches. He doesn't have the ball skills that Lance has, but they're decent enough. What'll drive you crazy are the endless drives into traffic looking for a call that doesn't always come. Somehow, Wade managed to convince the refs early on that any kind of contact means he deserves free throws. Stuckey, most nights, doesn't get that kind of respect. Instead, he gets way too many balls swatted back in his face.

Even with Wade's diminished explosiveness, he still shows flashes of flight and quickness that are way out of Stuck's league. The other difference between the two is the creative way Wade gets to the basket and his array of shots.

Stuck stays with a brute force approach, not many hooks or floaters in the repetoire. That being said, he will probably shine greatly in that Pacers system. There's very little pressure on him. But more than that he has the height of a 2, the brute strength of a really strong 3, and the handle of a 1. The Pacers are going to be able to vary their rotations really well with Stuckey...if dude doesn't go all headcase on them. :banghead:
313 Professor
Starter
And1: 963

Post#72 » by 313 Professor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm

PRAISE THE LORD!!!
He's officially gone and he gets the MINIMUM! What he's worth!!

But in all seriousness though I don't hate Stuckey that much, but other than the money this is perfect for him. He can finally take somewhat of a backseat and be a solid guard in a lesser role like he always could be for a winning team. Guy can be a VERY good role player but he's nowhere near the cornerstone or even key piece he was thought to be by some here. Hopefully he isn't asked to carry heavy ball-handling duties and doesn't play too many minutes because if so Indiana might be in for a rough year offensively. Paul George, Stuckey, Watson, and George Hill are all solid but none of them can truly create their own offense, or offense for others consistently against playoff defense. George has that streaky good 3, and can get his own looks and get hot but his iso-game isn't at that star level 1-on-1 yet (might not ever get there). Stephenson is better than all of them by a large margin at creating offense so I still think that's a huge loss. Defensively though they'll be just as good with Stuckey.

Return to Detroit Pistons