I'm looking for a little info on your team

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: I'm looking for a little info on your team 

Post#21 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 am

Methinks you're really hard up for things to post about

If I thought someone was going to pick apart the line-up I posted I would have put more thought into it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#22 » by sc8581 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:10 am

Pharaoh wrote:Methinks you're really hard up for things to post about

If I thought someone was going to pick apart the line-up I posted I would have put more thought into it

Well now you know to give a little more effort next time :wink:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#23 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm

It's the off-season.... I'm on vacation :-)

Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#24 » by Redeemed » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'm starting up my offseason preview and wanted to get some info and feedback from you guys before I got going.

So, I come to you folks.

How do you see your depth chart breaking down?
What are the major story lines to your team this year?
How do you think you will finish record wise in the league? (what place? 1-30)
Tell me a little about your coaching situation.

Thanks in advance.

Point Guard: Jennings/Augustin/Bynum/ "redshirt" Spencer Dinwiddie

Shooting Guard: Meeks/KCP/Martin (KCP will get the starting spot at some point. I'm starting to doubt that it will be right out of training camp

Center: Drummond/Gray

Power Forward: Monroe*/Smith/Jerebko/Mitchell (Monroe is a HUGE question mark and a major offseason storyline)

Small Forward: Singler/Butler/Martin/Datome

Offseason Storylines:

SVG is intent on assembling a Team. This means there will be considerable emphasis on putting together pieces that fit and hot mapping a functional structure over hodge podge pieces of debris we have had thrown together. Lack of direction and institutional control did this team in over the last several years, now with SVG manning the helm with Popvich-esque control Detroit will return to a place of stability.

Moose sighting? Will he or won't he sign? He's got a teams looking but no one's pulling the trigger. There was a rumored signed and trade with the Blazers. There's a potential Phoenix signing. But as far as his thoughts on what the Pistons have done so far...there's silence in camp Moose.

Does he care? Does he want to be here? Wait there's a ultimatum that Smith must go! Correction, now there's a retraction...an equivocation suggesting he never gave such an ultimatum. Anywho...with Moose back with Dru, we have potentially one of the truly great twin towers tandems in the league. There's tremendous potential with better structure in place to facilitate their growth. The question is, will we ever get to see that potential actualized in Detroit? Moose sighting?

Unspectacular but functional offseason signings were made to create floor spacing for the bigs and position battles. Let the internal competition begin!

There are a ton of questions surrounding this team. We came into last season with GREAT potential to have a breakthrough season. Now with probably our best coach since Larry Brown, it seems wrong to predict anything better than 10th in the East. Still knowing SVG, this team is going to compete. It's going to have tighter defensive rotations and clear offensive schemes. That being said we're going to play the role of spoilers. Expect us to ruin some team's expectations, by perhaps sneaking into the playoffs...Moose sighting?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,105

Post#25 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Here is what I'm thinking. It's not meshing too well with what you folks are saying.

It looks to me like Stan wants to spread the floor with 3pt shooters and run the offense through the center position. Reminding me a bit of how Houston ran with Hakeem and a buttload of 3pt shooters around him. Not so much the precision attack that San Antonio does with their passing as an inside outside game that favors a lot of 3pt shots.

As such the depth chart looks a little different. I see Moose as the backup 5. I don't think you really ever want Gray to see teh floor, except in the more dire situations, so Monroe is there to give you quality play when Drummond is injured or in foul trouble or just needs a breather.

Im' not sure about PG, it's hard to demote a guy like Jennnings without losing them, so I'm guessing he keeps his role unless DJ just blows him out of the water.

So...

PG - Jennings, Agustin, Bynum, Dinwiddle
SG - Meeks, KCP
SF - Singler, Butler, Martin, Datome
PF - Smith, Jerebko, Mitchell
C - Drummond, Monroe, Gray

So, does that seem batguano crazy? Have I left off anyone who is currently on the roster? Do I have anyone on there who isn't on the team any longer?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Coherence
Banned User
And1: 41

Post#26 » by Coherence » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'm starting up my offseason preview and wanted to get some info and feedback from you guys before I got going.

So, I come to you folks.

How do you see your depth chart breaking down?
What are the major story lines to your team this year?
How do you think you will finish record wise in the league? (what place? 1-30)
Tell me a little about your coaching situation.

Thanks in advance.

1. Depth Chart will probably look like this-

Jennings/Augustine
Meeks/KCP
Butler/Singler
Monroe/Smith
Drummond/

2. Major story lines-

- Will SVG FINALLY get the ball to Drummond consistently??
- How quick can we move Josh/Jennings if they don't miraculously change under SVG.

3. Record-

Zero clue, depends on the style of play

4. We have our first real bball coach since Larry Brown, we have stability in this organization for the first time in about 6 years. We feel extremely optimistic that big time change can occur.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#27 » by Cowology » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 pm

What I want to see...

PG: Augustin/Bynum
SG: KCP/Meeks
SF: Butler/Singler
PF: Monroe/Smith/Jerebko
C: Drummond/Monroe/Gray

Start big up front (obviously) with shooters at the 1-2-3 spots. Butler in limited minutes (16-20) to provide some veteran leadership to a team very lacking in that category. Smith acts as a super-sub, sliding Monroe to the middle where he'll get half his minutes and be able to facilitate the offense for the 2nd unit.

Unfortunately Jennings will likely get the nod until he lands in SVG's dog-house and I wouldn't be shocked if Smith starts the year at SF again. That's going to be the real question early on; how Stan handles those 2. He places a premium on shooting and that is the single biggest criticism of those 2 guys. The situation could easily go toxic.

Anyway, Jennings (and possibly Smith) starting probably also means that Meeks will actually start over KCP. We'll need the shooting. If Smith does come off the bench I'd expect it to be Singler at SF with Butler on the 2nd unit. Regardless Gray should never play unless foul trouble or injury. He's there to be a practice body for Drummond to bang on. IF Smith lands himself in the dog-house as well that could open up a few more minutes for JJ to play the role of stretch 4, which would probably be for the best - even if we do lose a bit defensively.

Basically the whole thing is a giant cluster **** with Jennings/Smith. What else is new?
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by sc8581 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Cowology wrote:What I want to see...

PG: Augustin/Bynum
SG: KCP/Meeks
SF: Butler/Singler
PF: Monroe/Smith/Jerebko
C: Drummond/Monroe/Gray

Start big up front (obviously) with shooters at the 1-2-3 spots. Butler in limited minutes (16-20) to provide some veteran leadership to a team very lacking in that category. Smith acts as a super-sub, sliding Monroe to the middle where he'll get half his minutes and be able to facilitate the offense for the 2nd unit.

Unfortunately Jennings will likely get the nod until he lands in SVG's dog-house and I wouldn't be shocked if Smith starts the year at SF again. That's going to be the real question early on; how Stan handles those 2. He places a premium on shooting and that is the single biggest criticism of those 2 guys. The situation could easily go toxic.

Anyway, Jennings (and possibly Smith) starting probably also means that Meeks will actually start over KCP. We'll need the shooting. If Smith does come off the bench I'd expect it to be Singler at SF with Butler on the 2nd unit. Regardless Gray should never play unless foul trouble or injury. He's there to be a practice body for Drummond to bang on. IF Smith lands himself in the dog-house as well that could open up a few more minutes for JJ to play the role of stretch 4, which would probably be for the best - even if we do lose a bit defensively.

Basically the whole thing is a giant cluster **** with Jennings/Smith. What else is new?

I think Stan places more of a premium on defense than he does shooting.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#29 » by Cowology » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm

You could be right. But he signed a bunch of a shooters this off-season, not a bunch of defenders. Stan is into "team" defense. It's very system oriented. Regardless, Jennings isn't helping himself there either and Smith is a mixed bag.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#30 » by Phenomenonsense » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Depth chart:

PG: Jennings, DJ, Bynum
SG: KCP, Meeks, Martin
SF: Singler, Butler, Datome
PF: Monroe, Smith, Jerebko
*C: Drummond, Gray

Dinwiddie red shirts the season

Storylines:

SVG alone addresses the lack of coaching from last season. People under-estimate the value of coaching. We had no systems or structures last season at all!

SVG also addressed the culture/locker room leadership issue through Butler...while Gray and Martin were acquired for their work ethics. Those 3 were chased early in the process...SVG wouldn't have targeted them for **** and giggles

SVG also addressed the lack of shooting with Meeks and DJ while addressing our poor bench

How it all fits together is THE storyline for us. SVG saw our weaknesses and went about correcting them. The names aren't sexy but the results might be...

And if we don't get the results hello Lotto Pick 2015

So you would start Monroe over Smith at the 4 even though our biggest issue last year was defense? Interesting.

Our biggest defensive issues started with Jennings and ended with Smith (because he's a natural 4 and almost ALWAYS sunk off of his man once Jennings was inevitably beat off the dribble.)
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:13 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Here is what I'm thinking. It's not meshing too well with what you folks are saying.

It looks to me like Stan wants to spread the floor with 3pt shooters and run the offense through the center position. Reminding me a bit of how Houston ran with Hakeem and a buttload of 3pt shooters around him. Not so much the precision attack that San Antonio does with their passing as an inside outside game that favors a lot of 3pt shots.

As such the depth chart looks a little different. I see Moose as the backup 5. I don't think you really ever want Gray to see teh floor, except in the more dire situations, so Monroe is there to give you quality play when Drummond is injured or in foul trouble or just needs a breather.

Im' not sure about PG, it's hard to demote a guy like Jennnings without losing them, so I'm guessing he keeps his role unless DJ just blows him out of the water.

So...

SG - Meeks, KCP

So, does that seem batguano crazy? Have I left off anyone who is currently on the roster? Do I have anyone on there who isn't on the team any longer?

Im assuming the reason evetyone ignored this is because it was so very unlikely?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by sc8581 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Here is what I'm thinking. It's not meshing too well with what you folks are saying.

So...

SG - Meeks, KCP

Im assuming the reason evetyone ignored this is because it was so very unlikely?

Personally I agree with all of it but I just didn't feel the need to comment. I will however give you an And1 which I should have done earlier I guess lol
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by Cowology » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:59 pm

You are aware he has Smith starting at PF and Monroe coming off the bench? Because I don't see any chance of that happening. IF Moose signs the QO then we've guaranteed he bolts via UFA next Summer. IF we pay to keep him, then we're paying around $15 mil for Drummond backup. Either Smith starts at SF (sadly) or comes off the bench as Dumars mistake of a super-sub. Benching Monroe will NOT be SVG's first big shakeup. We'll see Augustin starting ahead of Jennings long before that even becomes a consideration.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#34 » by princeofpalace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:

So...

SG - Meeks, KCP

From what Ive gathered from SVG, he is looking to spread the floor for our twin towers- Monroe and Drummond. From all reports, SVG loves Monroe, which is another reason why it is incredibly unlikely to have Greg penciled in as backup C. We arent offering to make him the highest paid Piston only to demote him.

Monroe is Detroit's best offensive player and its more likely than not that he starts alongside Drummond and becomes the focal point of the offense. Id be shocked if Drummond was our offensive focal point given how unskilled he is offensively. Drummond will probably get a couple more attempts on O then has had in the past, but at the end of the day he's probably still on clean up duty.

Our biggest storyline next season revolves around Smith and Jennings. How do they respond to their new roles under SVG?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Ok, last question. Do Drummond and Monroe work well together? Is this a fit that you are comfortable going forward with for the next 10 years?
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#36 » by princeofpalace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:43 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Ok, last question. Do Drummond and Monroe work well together? Is this a fit that you are comfortable going forward with for the next 10 years?

Yes, the pair work well together and have in their limited time together. Under SVG, who clearly believes in the pairing and has the acumen to make it work, yes I am very comfortable going forward with the pair for the next 10 years. We need to bolster our perimeter, our bigman duo is fine.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Good to know, I'll adjust my depth chart accordingly. I still can't see Smith starting at SF, but, I'll let Monroe start at PF.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#38 » by princeofpalace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Good to know, I'll adjust my depth chart accordingly. I still can't see Smith starting at SF, but, I'll let Monroe start at PF.

SVG has said that Smith will not be seeing much time if any at SF, I expect him to transition into a Lamar Odom role next season until he finds a new home.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by Cowology » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:27 am

princeofpalace wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Good to know, I'll adjust my depth chart accordingly. I still can't see Smith starting at SF, but, I'll let Monroe start at PF.

SVG has said that Smith will not be seeing much time if any at SF, I expect him to transition into a Lamar Odom role next season until he finds a new home.
I've heard this but missed the quote myself. I certainly hope it's true.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by sc8581 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:45 am

Seeing a lot of assumptions being linked to SVG in this thread but whatever lol

Return to Detroit Pistons