ImageImageImage

Team USA

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Team USA 

Post#1 » by Q00 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Training camp starts today for Drummond and Team USA. There's going to be live coverage on NBAtv tomorrow at 3pm. Then a scrimmage game on Friday.

From today:

Draymond Green trying to dunk on Drummond :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2144 ... um=twitter
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: Team USA 

Post#2 » by DETermination » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 pm

I love watching that block, looking forward to seeing Drummond dominate with the whole world watching.
Detroit vs Everybody
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#3 » by need4detroit » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 pm

Andre Drummond looks pretty chiseled.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Q00
Banned User

Post#4 » by Q00 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 am

DETermination wrote:I love watching that block, looking forward to seeing Drummond dominate with the whole world watching.

This could end up being a coming out party of sorts for Drummond, and he's got a great chance to make the team if he keeps protecting the rim like that.

Coach K talked yesterday about the need for size, rebounding, and defense. Drummond has a chance to fill all 3 needs in one player.

Krzyzewski: "Our roster is built on quickness, athleticism and shooting. We've won these last three competitions because we've been smart defensively, knowing team fouls, we've shot more free throws, we've passed the ball well, had more assists and we've really shot the ball well. It's different shots than they get in the NBA. A lot of them are stationary threes. What we hope we can hold our own in is our rebounding and post defense because we don't have a lot of depth there on the inside. You have Anthony Davis, Durant, Paul George, [James] Harden and Rose, [Stephen] Curry, [Damian] Lillard, Klay Thompson. Do we have enough other stuff? Big teams will try to pound us. No question about it. We believe we have a team that can win. But we certainly can be beat. There are good teams out there."

Honestly, I think coach K is underestimating what he's got up front. Its hard to imagine many international teams pounding a frontcourt of Drummond/Cousins/Davis. More like the other way around. This is going to be fun to watch. If I could build a frontcourt of any young bigs in the league, that would be my dream rotation right there with those 3. Add Millsap as a stretch 4 and I don't see any team being able to match that frontcourt.
Scottgaf
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#5 » by Scottgaf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Q00 wrote:
DETermination wrote:I love watching that block, looking forward to seeing Drummond dominate with the whole world watching.

This could end up being a coming out party of sorts for Drummond, and he's got a great chance to make the team if he keeps protecting the rim like that.

Coach K talked yesterday about the need for size, rebounding, and defense. Drummond has a chance to fill all 3 needs in one player.

Krzyzewski: "Our roster is built on quickness, athleticism and shooting. We've won these last three competitions because we've been smart defensively, knowing team fouls, we've shot more free throws, we've passed the ball well, had more assists and we've really shot the ball well. It's different shots than they get in the NBA. A lot of them are stationary threes. What we hope we can hold our own in is our rebounding and post defense because we don't have a lot of depth there on the inside. You have Anthony Davis, Durant, Paul George, [James] Harden and Rose, [Stephen] Curry, [Damian] Lillard, Klay Thompson. Do we have enough other stuff? Big teams will try to pound us. No question about it. We believe we have a team that can win. But we certainly can be beat. There are good teams out there."

Honestly, I think coach K is underestimating what he's got up front. Its hard to imagine many international teams pounding a frontcourt of Drummond/Cousins/Davis. More like the other way around. This is going to be fun to watch. If I could build a frontcourt of any young bigs in the league, that would be my dream rotation right there with those 3. Add Millsap as a stretch 4 and I don't see any team being able to match that frontcourt.

Couldn't agree more. Let's face it, international basketball is about hustle, heart, and relentlessness. Our opponents will be screening, sending fours and fives all over the court, and constantly moving without the ball. It won't be your typical NBA game. Having youth up front is exactly what this team needs. We have plenty of scoring and plenty of guys who can take their guy off the ball. What leads to domination is taking away the paint, and cleaning off the rim. These guys all do that well.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#6 » by Lionlifer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Q00 wrote:

Too bad I don't see all three of those bigs making it. Ideally they would all go, but I have a feeling 1 or 2 will get left for another 4 or a flashy guard.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#7 » by Kilo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 pm

It would be HUGE for Dre to make it. It would start to give him the leadership cred he needs to grow into for this team - it's his team, he needs to take a leadership/ownership role of it BUT he's still the youngest player on the team with no real accomplishments to his name to this point that would naturally see teammates look to him and accept him in a leadership role - nor do I think he sees himself as a leader, which hurts the former as well (teammates seeing him as a leader). But making the USMNT would be a huge confidence booster/experience for Dre and a huge credibility/credential builder to take on and be accepted in a leadership role for Drummond.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#8 » by Moose10Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Open it in a new window to see the full image.

Is it just me or Drummond look like a monster, he looks so much bigger than everyone else.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#9 » by detroitKG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Moose10Fan wrote:Image

Open it in a new window to see the full image.

Is it just me or Drummond look like a monster, he looks so much bigger than everyone else.

That's the first thing I thought of too and Boogie is no small man...Dre just looks massive out there.
and that front line in that pic doe! Kyrie, Davis, Dre, Durant, and Cousins..damn
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,544

Post#10 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Dre looks massive

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DETermination
RealGM

Post#11 » by DETermination » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm

So excited to watch Dre!
Detroit vs Everybody
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#12 » by The Penguin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Anyone listen to the Simmons - Lowe podcast ("aka listen to Simmons publicly dump on Kyrie, Drummond & the Thunder")?

If anyone wondered, it sounds like Simmons is firmly in the "Drummond is DeAndre Jordan 2.0 and shouldn't play because he can't shoot free throws" camp.
DETermination
RealGM

Post#13 » by DETermination » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Andre is by far the biggest guy on team usa.
Detroit vs Everybody
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,544

Post#14 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:22 pm

The Penguin wrote:Anyone listen to the Simmons - Lowe podcast ("aka listen to Simmons publicly dump on Kyrie, Drummond & the Thunder")?

If anyone wondered, it sounds like Simmons is firmly in the "Drummond is DeAndre Jordan 2.0 and shouldn't play because he can't shoot free throws" camp.

He's a Boston homer that's still holding out for a rondo Drummond trade.

The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#15 » by The Penguin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:
The Penguin wrote:Anyone listen to the Simmons - Lowe podcast ("aka listen to Simmons publicly dump on Kyrie, Drummond & the Thunder")?

I'm well aware. I usually enjoy his stuff until it comes to anything Pistons related, then I wouldn't mind cold-cocking him if I passed him in the street.

His newest Rondo trade:

Rondo / Gerald Wallace / Jeff Green for Amare's expiring / Tim Hardaway Jr / Cleanthony Early / '18 & '20 unprotected 1sts
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Post#16 » by DBC10 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 pm

The Penguin wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:

I'm well aware. I usually enjoy his stuff until it comes to anything Pistons related, then I wouldn't mind cold-cocking him if I passed him in the street.

His newest Rondo trade:

Rondo / Gerald Wallace / Jeff Green for Amare's expiring / Tim Hardaway Jr / Cleanthony Early / '18 & '20 unprotected 1sts

ROFL at that trade. Rondo is worth picks and that's about it.

Simmons even rightly criticized Rondo too, you never know who you're going to get, either cable Rondo or primetime Rondo when all eyes are on him. He's a classic stat padder and a diva.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 pm

DBC10 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:His newest Rondo trade:

Simmons even rightly criticized Rondo too, you never know who you're going to get, either cable Rondo or primetime Rondo when all eyes are on him. He's a classic stat padder and a diva.

Eh, those other guys aren't huge sweeneters. Hardaway got attention last year b/c the Knicks lacked talent and had to give him burn; there was absolutely nothing special about anything he did last year, other than prove he can do exactly what everyone knew he could coming into the draft: dunk in transition and catch and shoot at an okay percentage. I actually know Tim a bit and support him 100%, but his stock has been hugely inflated by the usual NYC media stuff.And Early has some nice tools (athleticism and shooting) but he's still a 23 year-old 2nd round pick that the Knicks just got for cheap.

The Knicks would of course be rash to give up both guys since they have so little young talent. But they're also both very limited players--neither can create off the dribble or operate in a PnR--and the ceiling for both is a decent starter on a lineup with plenty of creators. And either reaching that level is unlikely (especially for Early).
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Post#18 » by DBC10 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:His newest Rondo trade:

Eh, those other guys aren't huge sweeneters. Hardaway got attention last year b/c the Knicks lacked talent and had to give him burn; there was absolutely nothing special about anything he did last year, other than prove he can do exactly what everyone knew he could coming into the draft: dunk in transition and catch and shoot at an okay percentage. I actually know Tim a bit and support him 100%, but his stock has been hugely inflated by the usual NYC media stuff.And Early has some nice tools (athleticism and shooting) but he's still a 23 year-old 2nd round pick that the Knicks just got for cheap.

The Knicks would of course be rash to give up both guys since they have so little young talent. But they're also both very limited players--neither can create off the dribble or operate in a PnR--and the ceiling for both is a decent starter on a lineup with plenty of creators. And either reaching that level is unlikely (especially for Early).

Early look ok, a rotation player I think and could be in the league for a decent amount of time if not long. THJ is a decent young prospect, maybe will figure things out on the defensive end and get his %s up since he tends to settle and chuck at times. Still, that trade is atrocious, Wallace and Green to swallow when the Celtics fanbase wants to dump both of them so fast? And on top of losing 1sts later on? Yuck.
Q00
Banned User

Post#19 » by Q00 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Drummond is expected to make the USA roster backing up Cousins and Davis according to Perry Farrel.

Millsap is also expected to make it as a key reserve on the 2nd unit alongside Drummond. Which is great because its going to give us (and more importantly SVG) a sneak peak of what a Drummond/Millsap frontcourt looks like in person, and if they fit as well as most expect it could convince SVG to pursue a Monroe for Millsap trade.

Another interesting tidbit is that it sounds like Rose is not making the team.

Reports out of Las Vegas say Pistons third-year center Andre Drummond should make the USA FIBA World Cup team as a second-team backup to starters Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins.

Drummond’s role could be to battle Marc Gasol off the bench, especially with a thin U.S. front line and the penchant for Cousins to get in foul trouble. Drummond, the NBA’s second-leading rebounder last season at 13.2 per game, would be counted on for defense and rebounding.

His block of a Draymond Green dunk attempt was the highlight of the team’s opening practice Monday.

With Paul George (Indiana), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland), Damian Lillard (Portland), Klay Thompson (Golden State) and Paul Millsap (Atlanta) leading candidates to obtain reserve spots, Drummond is the only legitimate big man and center besides the starters left on the roster. Kyle Korver is expected to gain the last roster spot over the likes of Derrick Rose (Chicago), John Wall (Washington), Gordon Hayward (Utah) and Bradley Beal (Washington) because of his outside shooting.

Drummond has looked sharp in practices, and his stint with the U.S. team should only make him better entering this season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140731/S ... 1051/rss16
Q00
Banned User

Post#20 » by Q00 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:48 pm

So this could be the roster:

Curry/Irving
Harden/Lillard/Klay
Durant/George/Korver
Davis/Milsap
Cousins/Drummond