Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Re: Scouting report request: Jonas Jerebko 

Post#21 » by need4detroit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:28 am

see poop
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#22 » by Joe Berry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:28 am

Jerebko was our best catch and shoot guy last season, he could certainly fill a very good role in SVG system. Its a contract year for Jonas and SVG already praised him, if Smith would just disappear he could fill in at backup PF nicely.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#23 » by Billl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

JJ has found his way into multiple coach's doghouses mainly because he is inconsistent. His rookie year, he gave 100% each play. He cut hard to the basket, dove for loose balls, collected garbage points, and hit the occasional open J. Then he got hurt and spent a year working on his "skills". He's certainly improved as a jumpshooter, but that isn't what set him apart and isn't something that is going to keep him in the rotation. Someone needs to remind him that hard cuts and solid screens are the kind of skills that get backup bigman minutes.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#24 » by sc8581 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Billl wrote:JJ has found his way into multiple coach's doghouses mainly because he is inconsistent. His rookie year, he gave 100% each play. He cut hard to the basket, dove for loose balls, collected garbage points, and hit the occasional open J. Then he got hurt and spent a year working on his "skills". He's certainly improved as a jumpshooter, but that isn't what set him apart and isn't something that is going to keep him in the rotation. Someone needs to remind him that hard cuts and solid screens are the kind of skills that get backup bigman minutes.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I view some of these points a little differently. He was inconsistent as a rookie also, the effort was always there but he was very out of control on both ends. The clogging of the paint, last year in particular, makes it difficult for him to cut hard to the basket and get put-backs, Monroe and Drummond are two of the best at the latter. You seem to undervalue the importance of shooting, a lot of people around here do. At the 4, JJ can pull his man all the way out to the 3 point line and blow by him if he guards too closely, particularly if other shooters are on the floor with him helping to open things up. A big reason he had so much success in international play was due to his ability to score in a variety of ways, this was made possible because of the way international ball is played, which is what the NBA is beginning to turn into with all of these stretch 4s leaving room for players to showcase their skills.
I'm not guaranteeing he will have a huge year but if he gets the right opportunities he SHOULD have a lot of success. That being said, with Smith still around I can't see him getting enough minutes at the 4 and if Monroe is also brought back that leaves no meat on the bone whatsoever. What I would really like to see is JJ starting with Dre and Monroe coming off the bench, if any PFs are able to back Jerebko down and begin to abuse him Monroe can come in and put a stop to that.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#25 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Joe Asberry wrote:Jerebko was our best catch and shoot guy last season, he could certainly fill a very good role in SVG system. Its a contract year for Jonas and SVG already praised him, if Smith would just disappear he could fill in at backup PF nicely.

Catch

Pause

Pause

Pause

Pump fake

Pause

Shoot

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#26 » by Billl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18 am

sc8581 wrote:
Billl wrote:JJ has found his way into multiple coach's doghouses mainly because he is inconsistent. His rookie year, he gave 100% each play. He cut hard to the basket, dove for loose balls, collected garbage points, and hit the occasional open J. Then he got hurt and spent a year working on his "skills". He's certainly improved as a jumpshooter, but that isn't what set him apart and isn't something that is going to keep him in the rotation. Someone needs to remind him that hard cuts and solid screens are the kind of skills that get backup bigman minutes.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I view some of these points a little differently. He was inconsistent as a rookie also, the effort was always there but he was very out of control on both ends. The clogging of the paint, last year in particular, makes it difficult for him to cut hard to the basket and get put-backs, Monroe and Drummond are two of the best at the latter. You seem to undervalue the importance of shooting, a lot of people around here do. At the 4, JJ can pull his man all the way out to the 3 point line and blow by him if he guards too closely, particularly if other shooters are on the floor with him helping to open things up. A big reason he had so much success in international play was due to his ability to score in a variety of ways, this was made possible because of the way international ball is played, which is what the NBA is beginning to turn into with all of these stretch 4s leaving room for players to showcase their skills.
I'm not guaranteeing he will have a huge year but if he gets the right opportunities he SHOULD have a lot of success. That being said, with Smith still around I can't see him getting enough minutes at the 4 and if Monroe is also brought back that leaves no meat on the bone whatsoever. What I would really like to see is JJ starting with Dre and Monroe coming off the bench, if any PFs are able to back Jerebko down and begin to abuse him Monroe can come in and put a stop to that.

I didn't mean to imply JJ ever got consistent results, just that his effort and style were consistent as a rookie. If coach put him out there, you knew what you were going to get - effort, a couple garbage baskets, scrappy D, etc The occasional scoring was just a bonus. Guys like that can usually find a rotation spot.

And I don't undervalue shooting - I just don't think JJ is a good enough shooter on high enough volume for him to be primarily a jump shooter in the NBA, especially since he makes a lot of questionable decisions still. If you are a hustle guy making plays and you occasionally get out of control, coaches will often live with that tradeoff. If your a jumpshooter who gets out of control, coaches will usually just put in a more reliable jumpshooter. SVG just signed a bunch of them this off season, so JJ is going to have to bring more that just that if he wants a spot in the rotation.
wallace72
Junior
And1: 83

Post#27 » by wallace72 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Mediocre at everything......
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#28 » by Cowology » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Billl wrote:And I don't undervalue shooting - I just don't think JJ is a good enough shooter on high enough volume for him to be primarily a jump shooter in the NBA, especially since he makes a lot of questionable decisions still. If you are a hustle guy making plays and you occasionally get out of control, coaches will often live with that tradeoff. If your a jumpshooter who gets out of control, coaches will usually just put in a more reliable jumpshooter. SVG just signed a bunch of them this off season, so JJ is going to have to bring more that just that if he wants a spot in the rotation.

Totally different position, but this made me think of one of my favorite bench players ever; Jon Barry. Dude could be totally outa control, but he played balls to the wall and could shoot.

Return to Detroit Pistons