General Manager
And1: 1,056

Re: If we didnt trade Chauncey 

Post#21 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:26 am

The Penguin wrote:1) Keep Chauncey

2) keep Afflalo & Amir

3) don't sign Gordon / CV31

4) sell high on Rip, Prince, Stuckey

Building blocks of Chauncey, Afflalo, Amir with draft picks from Rip/Prince/Stuckey. That would have been nice. Dumars did the opposite.

I agree,if dumars was let to go into full blown tank mode when karen was trying to sell,we would have been much better off,but what owner is going to let that happen when they are trying to sell.If we were able to tank out those years,imagine where we would be as a team right now,a bunch of 1sts hitting their primes and older guys coming off contracts,o well,no use crying over spilled milk.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#22 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:04 am

kurtis48239 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:I thought Larry Brown was doing a fine job developing Prince but that's just me I guess. *shrug*

Larry didnt really develope prince,prince got an opertunity and suprised alot of people (including brown) and brown went with it.Brown was notorious for not wanting to play rookies or give them opertunites.

Tayshaun's coming-out party happened in the 2003 playoffs when Carlisle was coach.
LB wasn't in the picture yet.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#23 » by sc8581 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:13 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:I thought Larry Brown was doing a fine job developing Prince but that's just me I guess. *shrug*

Larry didnt really develope prince,prince got an opertunity and suprised alot of people (including brown) and brown went with it.Brown was notorious for not wanting to play rookies or give them opertunites.

Tayshaun's coming-out party happened in the 2003 playoffs when Carlisle was coach.

As a defender sure but I don't recall him doing much on offense until Brown was here.
NorCalFan
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#24 » by NorCalFan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 am

If we hadn't drafted Tay and took melo we would have had 3 rings minimum and that team wouldn't have broken up

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#25 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:12 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:Larry didnt really develope prince,prince got an opertunity and suprised alot of people (including brown) and brown went with it.Brown was notorious for not wanting to play rookies or give them opertunites.

As a defender sure but I don't recall him doing much on offense until Brown was here.

He was the leading scorer off the bench in the series against the Sixers, after scoring 20 points in the Game 7 against Second Round Virgin 4Evah(tm). It wasn't just about his defense.
Coherence
Banned User
And1: 41

Post#26 » by Coherence » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 pm

kurtis48239 wrote:brown was notorious for not developing his rookies,theres alot of past players of his who have commented on it.He put you in the dog house and you stayed there.Also alot of GMs wanted darko and thought he was going to be the next big center,and I also believe if larry had at least tried to develop darko,he would have turned into a much better player.

Well he developed Tayshaun really well so I think him being picky is a more fair way to put it.

I wouldnt say a lot of GM's thought Darko was going to be the next big center, there were a few who really liked him but this wasnt Oden/Howard type of hype. I remember that draft very clearly.

Joe fell in love with Darko via a couple workouts.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by sc8581 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Coherence wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:brown was notorious for not developing his rookies,theres alot of past players of his who have commented on it.He put you in the dog house and you stayed there.Also alot of GMs wanted darko and thought he was going to be the next big center,and I also believe if larry had at least tried to develop darko,he would have turned into a much better player.

Well he developed Tayshaun really well so I think him being picky is a more fair way to put it.

I wouldnt say a lot of GM's thought Darko was going to be the next big center, there were a few who really liked him but this wasnt Oden/Howard type of hype. I remember that draft very clearly.

I remember Kiki speaking highly of Darko but I guess that's not saying much since he's the guy that drafted Tskitishvilli
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#28 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Coherence wrote:

Everyone said he was the consensus number 2 pick and wouldnt be suprised if he went number 1,this is pretty common knowledge,if dumars didnt take him the next team would have.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#29 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Tayshaun's coming-out party happened in the 2003 playoffs when Carlisle was coach.

He was the leading scorer off the bench in the series against the Sixers, after scoring 20 points in the Game 7 against Second Round Virgin 4Evah(tm). It wasn't just about his defense.

But tay proved himself for the most part befor larry got here,so it wasant hard for larry to play him.
Coherence
Banned User

Post#30 » by Coherence » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 pm

kurtis48239 wrote:Everyone said he was the consensus number 2 pick and wouldnt be suprised if he went number 1,this is pretty common knowledge,if dumars didnt take him the next team would have.

No one was seriously talking Darko over Lebron James. lol

Consensus #2 is still a stretch imo but no way was he ever talked about instead of Lebron James.

As a prospect he wasnt anywhere near the type Oden or Howard was although I do remember Chad Ford swearing Darko was going to be a star though.

sc8581 wrote:
I remember Kiki speaking highly of Darko but I guess that's not saying much since he's the guy that drafted Tskitishvilli

I remember it seemed like KiKi loved everyone in that draft. I remember it floating around specifically that he loved Lebron, Darko, Melo, Bosh.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by sc8581 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Coherence wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:Everyone said he was the consensus number 2 pick and wouldnt be suprised if he went number 1,this is pretty common knowledge,if dumars didnt take him the next team would have.

Consensus #2 is still a stretch imo but no way was he ever talked about instead of Lebron James.

As a prospect he wasnt anywhere near the type Oden or Howard was although I do remember Chad Ford swearing Darko was going to be a star though.

sc8581 wrote:

I remember it seemed like KiKi loved everyone in that draft. I remember it floating around specifically that he loved Lebron, Darko, Melo, Bosh.

I can't stand Chad Ford smh.

I remember even after the draft Kiki was talking about Darko though.
Coherence
Banned User

Post#32 » by Coherence » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am

sc8581 wrote:
I can't stand Chad Ford smh.

I remember even after the draft Kiki was talking about Darko though.

lol, no one is right all the time man..

I remember that too with Kiki
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#33 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:59 am

Coherence wrote:

sc8581 wrote:

I dont think anyone would have taken him number 1 either,but there was talks and it wasant a stretch for number 2,alot of GMs went on record saying they had him on their big board at 2.Hindsight being 20-20,but at the time it wasant thought of as a bad pick.Regardless it happend and its over with now and dumars is gone.Hopefully this is the begining of a better piston future that brings back the spirit we once had at the palace,when fans were so loud and we were leading attendence.

Return to Detroit Pistons