And1: 3,441

Monroe Officially Signs QO 

Post#1 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:35 pm

wire28
Sixth Man
And1: 247

Re: Monroe Officially Signs QO 

Post#2 » by wire28 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:37 pm

Bench him and wave and smile when the big softy leaves next year.
Deeeeeetroit Basketballlllllll
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#3 » by DETermination » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:38 pm

Wow, I didn't think he was going to sign it this soon, At least now that's done right? We at least don't have to worry about the Monroe situation anymore and he will probably be gone after this season.

At least if hes gone for sure we will have more cap space to spend next off season ( please KD come here :D).
Detroit vs Everybody
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#4 » by detroitKG » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:39 pm

Safe to say...He gone. After this season that is and I don't really blame him...oh well
haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Post#5 » by haulerch » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:39 pm

Happy to have a resolution, wanted a S&T but looking like he will walk or get traded at the deadline. This should resolve the 'position battle' at PF with Smith starting and Monroe coming off the bench. No reason to start someone who isn't goin to be a part of our future.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by dVs33 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:45 pm

:nonono:

We knew it was happening, but that sucks.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#7 » by Kilo » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:52 pm

Wow. Never though he would actually do it. Josh Smith should definitely start - might as well build chemistry and camaraderie amongst the players that want to be here. Probably has to put a good chunk of his QO money towards a huge insurance policy premium - basically playing for free this year after taxes and all.

I hope Stan doesn't fall for the "Hey, I might still want to re-sign, so coddle me and treat me right and I promise to really really consider staying next off-season" load of crap Monroe/Agent has been attempting to sell.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#8 » by SamFlow » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:00 pm

haulerch wrote:Happy to have a resolution, wanted a S&T but looking like he will walk or get traded at the deadline. This should resolve the 'position battle' at PF with Smith starting and Monroe coming off the bench. No reason to start someone who isn't goin to be a part of our future.

Now he has the right to ok the trade. Can't be traded without his ok. So he holds some chips. I guess he REALLY wants out.
BigDaddyJungle
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#9 » by epheisey » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:12 pm

I liked Monroe a ton. But this type of move just rubs me the wrong way. Might sound awful, but I can't wait until next offseason when he's well down the list of possible FA big men and ends up with a contract well below what he could have signed for here. I hope the amount of money he's losing is worth not being in Detroit.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#10 » by sc8581 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:16 pm

Hoping that a trade is coming soon. Does anybody know how long we have to wait to trade him now? 30 days? 60?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#11 » by MotownMadness » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:17 pm

That SOB, He definitely better be coming off the bench now. I doubt anyone is going to want to trade for him now or give up any value anyways.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#12 » by Joe Berry » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:21 pm

Worst case scenario. Pistons will lose Monroe for nothing next offseason, Monroe will lose about 7-9 mil $ this season and SVG has to deal with a player who doesnt want to be here at all.
Anyway Moose was the 2nd most valuable Piston, not getting anything in return hurts Pistons more than Monroe if his agent can deliver him a max contract next offseason from another team.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#13 » by epheisey » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:22 pm

sc8581 wrote:Hoping that a trade is coming soon. Does anybody know how long we have to wait to trade him now? 30 days? 60?

I thought it was sometime in January, and whenever it is, it'll be up to Monroe whether or not he oks any deal.

Regardless, who would give up anything for him? No bird rights, so they have to have cap space. Could just wait until free agency to sign him without giving up any assets.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by sc8581 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:23 pm

MotownMadness wrote:That SOB, He definitely better be coming off the bench now. I doubt anyone is going to want to trade for him now or give up any value anyways.

I would be happy with Danny Green and a future #1 or something along those lines. He could start at the 3 right away, very good D and 3 point shooting, has the ability to have huge games. Seems like a good deal for all 3 parties, can't imagine Monroe turning down the chance to play for a title next to Duncan.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#15 » by Notanoob » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:24 pm

Monroe has some serious balls to take the QO instead of $40+ million dollars guaranteed. Either he really hates it hear, or he really thinks that he'll be able to get a better contract next season.

He pretty much gone, but I still kind of want to keep him. I like watching him play, at least on offense, and I bet you that Stan can make him better on defense. Oh well. Let's all pray that Josh finally changes his game (lol) so that we can either trade him or get some value for all of that money we're paying him.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by sc8581 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:27 pm

epheisey wrote:
sc8581 wrote:Hoping that a trade is coming soon. Does anybody know how long we have to wait to trade him now? 30 days? 60?

I thought it was sometime in January, and whenever it is, it'll be up to Monroe whether or not he oks any deal.

Regardless, who would give up anything for him? No bird rights, so they have to have cap space. Could just wait until free agency to sign him without giving up any assets.

See my post above. Green has basically become expendable with Leonard, Manu, Bellinelli
RasheedTupac
Senior
And1: 451

Post#17 » by RasheedTupac » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:28 pm

Horrible for both sides.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:30 pm

The notification a couple weeks back was denied by both sides, but the silence since then has been defining. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone at this stage.

Monroe wanted out from day one, plain and simple. I never thought he wanted out badly enough to do this, but clearly that is the case. We've got him for one more year and then he's gone.

Obviously we don't bench him out of spite, but seeing as he's clearly not part of our future we certainly don't need to particularly concern ourselves with his development anymore.

As I've said before, I'm officially done explaining to anyone why a trade can't happen. He's here for a year and then he's gone. End of story.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by sc8581 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:33 pm

Snakebites wrote:The notification a couple weeks back was denied by both sides, but the silence since then has been defining. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone at this stage.

Monroe wanted out from day one, plain and simple. I never thought he wanted out badly enough to do this, but clearly that is the case. We've got him for one more year and then he's gone.

Obviously we don't bench him out of spite, but seeing as he's clearly not part of our future we certainly don't need to particularly concern ourselves with his development anymore.

As I've said before, I'm officially done explaining to anyone why a trade can't happen. He's here for a year and then he's gone. End of story.

What's the problem with my Danny Green idea?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#20 » by Snakebites » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:36 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:The notification a couple weeks back was denied by both sides, but the silence since then has been defining. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone at this stage.

What's the problem with my Danny Green idea?

I'm not sure what the Spurs cap situation is next year, but there's 2 possibilities:

1) The Spurs have cap space next year. They don't need to trade for him because they can sign him outright.

2) The Spurs don't have cap space, and lose his bird rights because that's what happens when you trade someone who's on a qualifying offer. The Bird Rights (ie, the right to go over the cap to resign him) don't get traded with him. They can't resign him at all in this case.

Return to Detroit Pistons