ImageImageImage

Monroe Officially Signs QO

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Re: Monroe Officially Signs QO 

Post#321 » by Neptune » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:02 am

Joe Asberry wrote:Bledsoe is a 2 way player, Monroe is not, thats why one got paid and the other not.

Monroe can play the 4 and 5, I don't see how that isn't considered a 2 way player.

ImHeisenberg wrote:
c rasheed wrote:Pretty much confirms SVG is in over his head. Good coach, terrible GM.

The Pistons haven't played one game under SVG and morons are already "calling it" on him. You people are the worst.

Meeks for 6mil and Monroe for the QO isn't the best GM start bro.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#322 » by Snakebites » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:46 am

Neptune doesn't know what a 2 way player is. :reporter:
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#323 » by mercury » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:57 am

Yes Monroe goes both ways
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#324 » by Redeemed » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am

Neptune wrote:
Joe Asberry wrote:Bledsoe is a 2 way player, Monroe is not, thats why one got paid and the other not.

Monroe can play the 4 and 5, I don't see how that isn't considered a 2 way player.

ImHeisenberg wrote:
c rasheed wrote:Pretty much confirms SVG is in over his head. Good coach, terrible GM.

The Pistons haven't played one game under SVG and morons are already "calling it" on him. You people are the worst.

Not two position player...

Two way...offense/defense. Both sides of the ball. Both ends of the court.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#325 » by DetroitSho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:53 am

Neptune wrote:

ImHeisenberg wrote:

Lolololol this guy can't be serious. Do you really think that's what's considered a 2 way player?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#326 » by The Penguin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Snakebites wrote:
momed11 wrote:What are the chances of a Monroe in-season trade? I really feel bad for him because I feel by sticking around in Detroit (barring a injury to dre/smith) he will basically get a bench role. If teams were already hesitant to give him an offer this year where's that going to leave him next off season?

He and his agent didn't play their hand correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Virtually none.

Any team trading for him forfeits his bird rights, meaning they can't go over the cap to resign him. Any team with cap space doesn't need to deal for him because they can simply sign him outright, and any team without cap space gets very little value in return since they'll lose him AND Monroe would have to sign off on a trade to a team without cap space (which he would never do since they can't resign him).

A trade isn't happening. It needed to happen as a sign and trade if it was going to happen at all. We're stuck with him and he's stuck with us until next offseason.

By all indications this was their plan all along. We'll find out if they misplayed their hand next offseason when we see how warm (or not warm) the market is on him with us matching no longer a threat.

But he IS as good as gone.

Joe's last big move will end up being Monroe & the 9th pick in 2014 for Josh Smith. Pretty much sums up most of the last decade.

To sum up Joe's last 5 years:

Monroe
Chauncey - with some good years left
Afflalo
Amir
Knight
#9 pick - used on Vonleh
Middleton
Rasheed
Rip
Prince

for

Josh Smith
Ben Gordon
Brandon Jennings
Charlie Villanueva
(And he paid them about $171 mil combined)

Awesome.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,756

Post#327 » by theBigLip » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 pm

The Penguin wrote:

Monroe
Afflalo
Amir
Knight
#9 pick - used on Vonleh
Middleton
Rasheed
Rip
Prince

for

Josh Smith
Ben Gordon
Brandon Jennings
Charlie Villanueva

Awesome.

We haven't lost Monroe (yet). The only real assets that disappoint me from this list are Afflalo, Amir and the #9. RIP and Prince were shadows of themselves by the time they left.

Chancey surprisingly had some gas left in the tank, but it was a good trade - get out from a huge contract, and then let AI and Sheed expire and have a lot of cap room to rebuild. That plan was good.

The problem was what Dumars did with the cap space. Same issue last summer. Instead of blowing it on questionable free agents, he could have gone more mid-tier but good fits, or used it to facilitate trades and continue picking up more draft picks. But he didn't. Which is why he is gone. And even though there was a lot of noise around the Meeks signing, I think that was legit, and SVG is not going to make those same mistakes that Dumars did.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#328 » by MotownMadness » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:04 pm

The Penguin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
momed11 wrote:What are the chances of a Monroe in-season trade? I really feel bad for him because I feel by sticking around in Detroit (barring a injury to dre/smith) he will basically get a bench role. If teams were already hesitant to give him an offer this year where's that going to leave him next off season?

He and his agent didn't play their hand correctly.

Virtually none.

Any team trading for him forfeits his bird rights, meaning they can't go over the cap to resign him. Any team with cap space doesn't need to deal for him because they can simply sign him outright, and any team without cap space gets very little value in return since they'll lose him AND Monroe would have to sign off on a trade to a team without cap space (which he would never do since they can't resign him).

A trade isn't happening. It needed to happen as a sign and trade if it was going to happen at all. We're stuck with him and he's stuck with us until next offseason.

By all indications this was their plan all along. We'll find out if they misplayed their hand next offseason when we see how warm (or not warm) the market is on him with us matching no longer a threat.

But he IS as good as gone.

Joe's last big move will end up being Monroe & the 9th pick in 2014 for Josh Smith. Pretty much sums up most of the last decade.

Monroe
Afflalo
Amir
Knight
#9 pick - used on Vonleh
Middleton
Rasheed
Rip
Prince

for

Josh Smith
Ben Gordon
Brandon Jennings
Charlie Villanueva

Awesome.

Dumars was so terrible in the last 5-7 years
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#329 » by epheisey » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:53 pm

speechless....I didn't realize Tayshaun was a 3...borderline 4 way player.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#330 » by kurtis48239 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 am

epheisey wrote:speechless....I didn't realize Tayshaun was a 3...borderline 4 way player.

lol.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#331 » by Neptune » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 am

@Snakebites, @Redemmed, and @DetroitSho: LOL! You guys got me, I was thinking a 2 way player means someone who can play 2 positions.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,775

Post#332 » by Collymore » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 am

Neptune wrote:@Snakebites, @Redemmed, and @DetroitSho: LOL! You guys got me, I was thinking a 2 way player means someone who can play 2 positions.

It's ok, Jodi.
Hotmayo
Bench Warmer
And1: 319

Post#333 » by Hotmayo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Alright joe d messed up alot, but did some good as well. Like winning a championship.

We could have, should have, would have. . Is all in the past. Stop bashing him and lets move on to a new era of Drummond, smith, kcp, jennings, meeks. Lets see what these guys can do with a better coach.
Hotmayo is an animal

Reggie Jackson Blows
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#334 » by Redeemed » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:50 am

Neptune wrote:@Snakebites, @Redemmed, and @DetroitSho: LOL! You guys got me, I was thinking a 2 way player means someone who can play 2 positions.

It's cool. I wasn't trying to get you. I was trying to clarify it for you. It was really funny though... :lol:
LetsGetSerious
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#335 » by LetsGetSerious » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:18 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Bledsoe got his deal because he was patient, Monroe was not. That is the only difference.

Silly
LetsGetSerious
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#336 » by LetsGetSerious » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Collymore wrote:

It's ok, Jodi.

I miss Jodi lol
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 729

Post#337 » by A_dub06 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Hotmayo wrote:Alright joe d messed up alot, but did some good as well. Like winning a championship.

We could have, should have, would have. . Is all in the past. Stop bashing him and lets move on to a new era of Drummond, smith, kcp, jennings, meeks. Lets see what these guys can do with a better coach.

Everything JOE did that was successful was just pure luck. Sure, he had a knack for picking decent 2nd round picks but outside of that, I challenge you to prove to me that his success is purely attributable to his intellect.

While bashing Joe D had become a popular hung among pistins fans, I think it's completely warranted and I'm all for it. That fat piece of **** resigned his mates to stupid contracts, and made poor decision after poor decision. I'm not gonna bash him for Darko, in fact I almost applaud it. We missed out on proven players such as Melo, wade and bosh. Many gm's labelled Darko as the "European wilt chamberlain", if he even managed to scrape the surface of his potential he would have been a dominant player.

To top everything off, Joe D is gone and we still feel the effects of his rein and will for a couple seasons. We lost a #9 pick in loaded draft to save one year of a poor contract which could have been used to draft our next PF of the future in Noah Vonleh the perfect compliment to drummond, and to make matters worse that year of saving was used to sign josh smith when we already had monroe. Not only have we reduced Smiths value to almost nothing, we will now loose monroe which to a small market team like us hurts badly.

While this will seem pessimistic, I hate Dumars more for what he's done to us the past decade plus than how much I like him for lucking into a championship team in 2003-04.

At least we have a respected, good coach in SVG and we will never need to deal with that incompetent fool as the leader of our franchise ever again

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#338 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:03 pm

It means they like guys and girls, duh!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#339 » by Joe Berry » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Well i look at this now this way, if Monroe wants the most money Pistons are still the team to go. And if he really thinks he is worth the max he has to show some major improvement this season. On defense of course and on offense hitting that midrange jumper. If he really can do that and fits SVG system Pistons still can offer him a max contract with higher raises than anyone else and even a 5th year. Losing him for nothing is still a lot more likely, but if he really shows he is worth the max and Pistons are ready to pay why go to another team for less.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#340 » by MotownMadness » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Joe Asberry wrote:Well i look at this now this way, if Monroe wants the most money Pistons are still the team to go. And if he really thinks he is worth the max he has to show some major improvement this season. On defense of course and on offense hitting that midrange jumper. If he really can do that and fits SVG system Pistons still can offer him a max contract with higher raises than anyone else and even a 5th year. Losing him for nothing is still a lot more likely, but if he really shows he is worth the max and Pistons are ready to pay why go to another team for less.

I dont know if Stan will ever be willing to give him a max with Drummond around. Its going to be to hard to build a good team with two maxed out Centers. I want him to sign long term but definitely not if it takes a max contract to do it.

Return to Detroit Pistons