MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Monroe Officially Signs QO 

Post#281 » by MotownMadness » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 pm

epheisey wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Da-Met wrote:I bet if Smith gets traded the chances of Monroe stay increases

I just dont see anyway he stays now. Hes going to be a UFA and why would he choose to play here? We also dont need to overpay a guy who plays the same position as our best player. That money could be spent better in my opinion.

If Smith is gone, and Monroe walks, this team is back at step 1 again, and that money won't do a thing in free agency. We couldn't do better than BG and CV when this team was right there to contend, I don't see us bringing in anybody special or really worth having long term outside of the draft.

This team needs to start over at step 1 and rebuild. But that wont happen, Smith will probably be a starting PF now and Monroe will be gone after this season and he will be replaced next offseason by some veteran more then likely. I dont think it could be anymore clear that the man does not want to be here anymore.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#282 » by epheisey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:19 am

MotownMadness wrote:
epheisey wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I just dont see anyway he stays now. Hes going to be a UFA and why would he choose to play here? We also dont need to overpay a guy who plays the same position as our best player. That money could be spent better in my opinion.

If Smith is gone, and Monroe walks, this team is back at step 1 again, and that money won't do a thing in free agency. We couldn't do better than BG and CV when this team was right there to contend, I don't see us bringing in anybody special or really worth having long term outside of the draft.

This team needs to start over at step 1 and rebuild. But that wont happen, Smith will probably be a starting PF now and Monroe will be gone after this season and he will be replaced next offseason by some veteran more then likely. I dont think it could be anymore clear that the man does not want to be here anymore.

If we have to start over after next season, Drummond is as good as gone, and then we're not even at step 1 anymore....
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#283 » by Snakebites » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 am

epheisey wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
epheisey wrote:

If we have to start over after next season, Drummond is as good as gone, and then we're not even at step 1 anymore....

Indeed.

That's probably what's going to happen, too. There's nothing here to entice Drummond to stay.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#284 » by Pharaoh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:30 am

SVG has 2 seasons to convince Dre he'd be better off staying.

A lot can happen in 2 years.

Assume Smith returns to something reasonable...

Assume Monroe walks and is replaced by some veteran back up

Assume we draft/sign a better SF

Assume Jennings buys in (or DJ replaces him in the starting 5)

Assume KCP develops over those 2 seasons

Anything is possible lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#285 » by ChipButty » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Snakebites wrote:
epheisey wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: This team needs to start over at step 1 and rebuild. But that wont happen, Smith will probably be a starting PF now and Monroe will be gone after this season and he will be replaced next offseason by some veteran more then likely. I dont think it could be anymore clear that the man does not want to be here anymore.

Indeed.

That's probably what's going to happen, too. There's nothing here to entice Drummond to stay.

I think the ability to give Drummond a designated player extension (5 year extension with 7.5% raises) makes it very doubtful that he will be leaving anytime soon. I cannot comprehend that a player on a rookie contract would turn down an $80+ million extension. We are not going to be that bad.
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#286 » by epheisey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 pm

ChipButty wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
epheisey wrote:

Indeed.

I think the ability to give Drummond a designated player extension (5 year extension with 7.5% raises) makes it very doubtful that he will be leaving anytime soon. I cannot comprehend that a player on a rookie contract would turn down an $80+ million extension. We are not going to be that bad.

Sign and trade. Look at Kevin Love. Granted it's incredibly unlikely we end up sans Drummond and empty handed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#287 » by sc8581 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:54 pm

epheisey wrote:
ChipButty wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Indeed.

Sign and trade. Look at Kevin Love. Granted it's incredibly unlikely we end up sans Drummond and empty handed.

Didn't love sign an extension to give the Wolves more time though, I think a 3 year extension?
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#288 » by epheisey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 pm

sc8581 wrote:
epheisey wrote:
ChipButty wrote:

Didn't love sign an extension to give the Wolves more time though, I think a 3 year extension?

It was a 4 year deal with an opt out after this upcoming season. He originally wanted to get the Wolves 5 year designated player contract, but they refused. The point stands though. If Drummond doesn't want to spend his prime years losing with the Pistons, all it takes is him demanding to be dealt, and teams will line up with offers. That's more or less what Monroe did, but he's not nearly the caliber player of a Kevin Love or Drummond in 2 years.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#289 » by sc8581 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 pm

epheisey wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
epheisey wrote:

It was a 4 year deal with an opt out after this upcoming season. He originally wanted to get the Wolves 5 year designated player contract, but they refused. The point stands though. If Drummond doesn't want to spend his prime years losing with the Pistons, all it takes is him demanding to be dealt, and teams will line up with offers. That's more or less what Monroe did, but he's not nearly the caliber player of a Kevin Love or Drummond in 2 years.

Then so be it, I'll take a Wiggins type talent on a 4 year rookie deal and walk away with a smile. Basically, I'm just not that concerned. We still have a lot of time to improve and convince him to stay though, IF he even feels the same way Love does.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#290 » by Kilo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Looks like Bledsoe found his sucker. Did Monroe jump the gun?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#291 » by jakebernat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Kilo wrote:Looks like Bledsoe found his sucker. Did Monroe jump the gun?

If the wolves can pull this off, they'll be MUCH better off without love...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kilo
RealGM

Post#292 » by Kilo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:47 pm

So wait, Minnesota says they would max out Bledsoe, but don't have the cap space to do so - so need PHX to work a S&T. Isn't that a dick move - driving up the price when they don't have the money to spend.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#293 » by Snakebites » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:01 am

Kilo wrote:So wait, Minnesota says they would max out Bledsoe, but don't have the cap space to do so - so need PHX to work a S&T. Isn't that a dick move - driving up the price when they don't have the money to spend.

What it means is that the Suns have absolutely no need or obligation to go along with it unless they're offered something good in return, because the Wolves don't have any leverage since they'd never be able to land him on their own.

I don't even consider it driving up the price, either. The offer effectively doesn't exist unless the Suns are willing to trade.

I do not think it means Monroe jumped the gun. He's not as good a player as Bledsoe.
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#294 » by epheisey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:08 am

Kilo wrote:So wait, Minnesota says they would max out Bledsoe, but don't have the cap space to do so - so need PHX to work a S&T. Isn't that a dick move - driving up the price when they don't have the money to spend.

Phoenix sits in the drivers seat on this one. Bledsoe can't sign an offer sheet for that contract because the Wolves don't have the cap space to make that offer outright. Phoenix can nix any trade that doesn't suit them, and simply keep Bledsoe on the QO. So the price doesn't really go up for anyone other than the Wolves. I don't really see how he fits on that team anyways with Rubio in the backcourt. There's no way Rubio can guard shooting guards imo, and Bledsoe gives up a ton of height. It'd be a pretty big risk on Saunders part, considering what Phoenix probably expects in return.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#295 » by sc8581 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:07 am

epheisey wrote:

Phoenix sits in the drivers seat on this one. Bledsoe can't sign an offer sheet for that contract because the Wolves don't have the cap space to make that offer outright. Phoenix can nix any trade that doesn't suit them, and simply keep Bledsoe on the QO. So the price doesn't really go up for anyone other than the Wolves. I don't really see how he fits on that team anyways with Rubio in the backcourt. There's no way Rubio can guard shooting guards imo, and Bledsoe gives up a ton of height. It'd be a pretty big risk on Saunders part, considering what Phoenix probably expects in return.

I think Bledsoe can defend SGs as well as anybody else in the league, I'm wondering where the Wolves would be getting their shooting from though.
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#296 » by epheisey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 am

sc8581 wrote:
epheisey wrote:

I think Bledsoe can defend SGs as well as anybody else in the league, I'm wondering where the Wolves would be getting their shooting from though.

So Bledsoe and Rubio start....where does that leave 2 of LaVine/Wiggins/Bennett? I would guess one of Bennet or LaVine could be dealt for Bledsoe...but this just doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Not to mention the rest of their roster...That whole roster is a mess. Their starting lineup could go into the season as Rubio/Kevin Martin/Corey Brewer/Thad Young/Pek. They have a ton of potential, but their young guys are almost as good as their vets, which isn't saying much....

Maybe this is a deal to simply clear some of that mess up and move some of the unnecessary vets. Although I don't see how that would intrigue PHX.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#297 » by Pharaoh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:38 am

Phoenix would only be interested in expirings, picks and young talent for Bledsoe.

Minny would be smart to turn a couple of lesser assets into Bledsoe - assuming they can swing it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kilo
RealGM

Post#298 » by Kilo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

On a side is Monroe working out with the team now? Or is he the one missing, as I always seem to read "15 of the 16 players on the roster are at the Palace working out with the coaches" or something to that effect.
Weaver = Hinkie
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#299 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Kilo wrote:On a side is Monroe working out with the team now? Or is he the one missing, as I always seem to read "15 of the 16 players on the roster are at the Palace working out with the coaches" or something to that effect.

Is Drummond back?

haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Post#300 » by haulerch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Drummond is back.

Return to Detroit Pistons