ImageImageImage

With Monroe signing QO, we're about $3M under cap...

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

With Monroe signing QO, we're about $3M under cap... 

Post#1 » by Kilo » Sat Sep 6, 2014 3:48 pm

Monroe's cap hold was $10.2M, he signs his QO for about half that, so we should have about $5M under the cap - probably Gray and Martin contracts will eat some of that though as we went over to sign them on vet minimum deals, so really only $3M under the cap give or take. Not really that much to make any noise with other than to maybe take on a bad contract from a taxed out/near tax team to pick up a draft pick or something. Take on an expiring $3M player, $3M sent in cash (to buy out that player) and a late first or early second rounder? Or better off just saving the $3M in case a trade opportunity presents itself where we could take on a few million more in salary?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Re: With Monroe signing QO, we're about $3M under cap... 

Post#2 » by Cowology » Sat Sep 6, 2014 6:02 pm

I'd look at all of the above. If there is a trade to me made that will bring an asset that is great but if not I'm ok sitting on it for a while.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Sat Sep 6, 2014 7:35 pm

I don't anticipate any moves of any significance for the rest of the offseason.

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded
3) We signed a couple of average free agents

I don't think any of us projected a worse case scenario than that when SVG came aboard, but I could be wrong....
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#4 » by sfballa13 » Sat Sep 6, 2014 9:26 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don't anticipate any moves of any significance for the rest of the offseason.

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

I don't think any of us projected a worse case scenario than that when SVG came aboard, but I could be wrong....

Good thing we didnt overpay a veteran like Caron Butler...oh wait a second
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#5 » by jakebernat » Sat Sep 6, 2014 9:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don't anticipate any moves of any significance for the rest of the offseason.

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

Don't forget we lost our pick too!

I'm an optimist though. I love the addition of dinwiddie. I think meeks makes a ton of sense even if he's a bit overpaid. SVG is the real prize of our offseason. Maybe not selling low on smith will prove to be a wise decision if SVG can turn him around next season. Maybe moose accepting the QO will allow us to go after a key FA like jimmy butler or ricky rubio.

It's all relative though. People expected SVG to turn it around in one offseason, but what he's really doing is building a foundation and establishing a culture. I can be patient with that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Sat Sep 6, 2014 11:20 pm

No point signing someone now when we've got a full roster.

Better to wait and see how things shake out for the first couple of months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
GSR121
Junior
And1: 34

Post#7 » by GSR121 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 3:14 am

No one anticipated this lack luster of an off season for sure,but we will be O.K.. The most important thing I see is that none of the "over pay" contracts last past this year (all have team options for next season if I remember correctly) so we have plenty of options next season. I think Monroe is gone at the end of the season or traded for a small return (low 1st or 2nd round pick or young marginal talent), but I was half way feeling that was probably going to happen when he said he was looking for a max deal. SVG did well in that we did not overpay for Monroe or lock up much of our cap room going forward. That at least is a step up from what Joe has done in the past.

Most of us had figured out that we have a couple of years of rebuilding before we are truly competitive and nothing has really changed in that regard. Managements hands were tied this off season until Greg made his decision. Now that that is done SVG and his group plan a strategy for the future. The Monroe thing was the last real "unknown factor" in the mix. We know how long Smith, Jennings Jerebko, Bynum, and the rest of the pieces contracts last. They now know almost exactly how much cap space we have in the next few off seasons, Monroe was the only contract that could not be factored in until now.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#8 » by Kilo » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:44 pm

What about Mexican National Gus Ayon, he tore up the US front court for 25 and seven boards. Seems like a hot commodity now though will stay in Euroball unless the money is there in the NBA. Is Dragic's brother property of an NBA team - maybe he's worth a flyer. We are carrying 16, but Mitchell could easily be cut, I have little faith in Datome either and presume we could find a take for Bynum in a trade come the end of camp when teams might see they want more veteran depth at PG and we see that Dinwiddie is healthy enough to be 3rd stringer.
Weaver = Hinkie
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#9 » by Joe Berry » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:57 pm

Kilo wrote:What about Mexican National Gus Ayon, he tore up the US front court for 25 and seven boards. Seems like a hot commodity now though will stay in Euroball unless the money is there in the NBA. Is Dragic's brother property of an NBA team - maybe he's worth a flyer. We are carrying 16, but Mitchell could easily be cut, I have little faith in Datome either and presume we could find a take for Bynum in a trade come the end of camp when teams might see they want more veteran depth at PG and we see that Dinwiddie is healthy enough to be 3rd stringer.

Zoran Dragic went undrafted in 2011 - plus he has an NBA buyout clause. He looks NBA ready to me what i saw from Slovenia at the world cup, just as good as Goran Dragic. In my little pipe dream we sign Zoran now with the remaining capspace and his older brother next year. :)

article from 2012
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2012/4/ ... others-nba
Kilo
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kilo » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:21 pm

^Actually smart as hell. Get Zoran now and use it to entice UFA Goran next off-season. Great use of $3M if that would be all it would take depending on size of buyout.
Weaver = Hinkie
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#11 » by mercury » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm seeing the Pistons having over 5.5 Mil below the cap available.
Hotmayo
Bench Warmer
And1: 319

Post#12 » by Hotmayo » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:58 pm

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

i think this off season is a little successful bc we have new gm/head coach, some bench players added, and some outside shooting added as well

i still have a problem with gores. i wish he would just leave and let illitch buy the team

personally i like smith at the 4

i didnt agree with joe trading knight/ middleton for jennings

jennings better improve or else he should become a 6th man scoring guard off the bench

and im really happy we didnt offer greg the max and he really did have to go. it sucks to some fans but he wasnt going to fit here
Hotmayo is an animal

Reggie Jackson Blows
Kilo
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kilo » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:12 am

mercury wrote:I'm seeing the Pistons having over 5.5 Mil below the cap available.

My figuring is that Monroe's cap hold was $10.2M, but we officially signed Gray and Martin which us over the cap when counting Monroe's full cap hold, but vet minimum contracts are allowed when over the cap, however now that Monroe signed the QO and was about $5M under his cap hold that the Gray and Martin salaries now eat up that space.
Weaver = Hinkie
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#14 » by Phenomenonsense » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:02 am

Kilo wrote:
mercury wrote:I'm seeing the Pistons having over 5.5 Mil below the cap available.

My figuring is that Monroe's cap hold was $10.2M, but we officially signed Gray and Martin which us over the cap when counting Monroe's full cap hold, but vet minimum contracts are allowed when over the cap, however now that Monroe signed the QO and was about $5M under his cap hold that the Gray and Martin salaries now eat up that space.

A very fair account of our cap space probably.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#15 » by The Penguin » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:04 am

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

Look at us vs Cleveland going back to lottery night.

Before that night we'd just hired SVG and were lined up with perhaps the premier young center in the league. Cleveland had publicly failed to woo Calipari and had rumblings that Kyrie would sign the QO and walk.

Since that night they jumped us, knocked us down to losing our pick, added Lebron, traded for Love, signed Kyrie long term and became a legit title contender. We lost our pick, failed to woo our top target Isaiah Thomas and now have Monroe signing the QO.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#16 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:27 am

3 million under the cap, and one player over the maximum allowed with 16 guaranteed contracts.

Best bet would be Detroit pulling a 2-for-1 deal, something like Bynum and Jerebko for an expiring.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#17 » by MotownMadness » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:33 am

The Penguin wrote:

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

Before that night we'd just hired SVG and were lined up with perhaps the premier young center in the league. Cleveland had publicly failed to woo Calipari and had rumblings that Kyrie would sign the QO and walk.

Since that night they jumped us, knocked us down to losing our pick, added Lebron, traded for Love, signed Kyrie long term and became a legit title contender. We lost our pick, failed to woo our top target Isaiah Thomas and now have Monroe signing the QO.

:waaa:
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#18 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:55 am

The Penguin wrote:

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

You guys just need your owner to throw multiple tantrums like Dan Gilbert.. the squeaky wheel...
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#19 » by dVs33 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:32 am

I think SVG did what he could given the situation.
Monroe potentially leaving has more to do with Dumars mismanaging the team over the last few years than it does SVG.
The Monroe situation was out of SVG's hands IMO. He clearly wants out of Detroit. Maybe SVG can change his mind this season.
LetsGetSerious
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#20 » by LetsGetSerious » Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:17 am

Our offseason was:

1) Monroe signs QO
2) Smith isn't traded

This is a nightmare scenario. Joe Dumars literally left us for dead.

Return to Detroit Pistons