ImageImageImage

With Monroe signing QO, we're about $3M under cap...

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,703

Re: With Monroe signing QO, we're about $3M under cap... 

Post#21 » by theBigLip » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:26 pm

We did get SVG this offseason. That is huge! And not just because he is a great coach, but players MUST listen to him since he is the GM. This is the biggest difference maker.

We also dropped Stucky and CV. Some negatives are positives.

And we got some shooters, we publicly acknowledged that Smith is not going to play the SF.

I am "playoff" optimistic, even if we swap Monroe for a 2nd rounder.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#22 » by Pharaoh » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:50 pm

I wouldn't be looking to trade Monroe unless we look cooked at the deadline.

Right now I'd be looking to turn our expirings into a better long term asset, preferably a SF.

Teams that figure to have a fair bit of cap space might be interested in trading for Jerebko and Bynum in an effort to clear more space and teams near or just above the tax threshold might want to clear some breathing space by sending us more salary.

A lot of us always complained Joe didn't use our cap space to acquire additional picks, SVG has an opportunity to do it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,489

Post#23 » by whitehops » Tue Sep 9, 2014 7:54 pm

this team didn't have a one-year turnaround like Cleveland did but they are in great shape. besides the fact that I have a ton of faith in SVG, the pistons signed good role players to very manageable contracts and have young talent on their roster. they signed BPA in the draft and selected a very smart player who, by all accounts, has a huge positive impact on his team.

they have financial flexibility next year, especially if Monroe leaves. they have veterans to mix in with the young talent, they have shooters now, most players are good at passing, etc.

I like the situation the team is in. a lot of their success hinges on what SVG is able to do with smith and Jennings (bring them to their potential) and how he develops Drummond.
LetsGetSerious
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#24 » by LetsGetSerious » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Again, we couldnt attract FA's when we were dominating the NBA.

I'm all for a glass is half full mind set (lord knows we need that badly right now with the job Dumars has done on us) but the whole "we'll have loads of cap space" thing is a bit much.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#25 » by Ghost » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm

LetsGetSerious wrote:Again, we couldnt attract FA's when we were dominating the NBA.

I'm all for a glass is half full mind set (lord knows we need that badly right now with the job Dumars has done on us) but the whole "we'll have loads of cap space" thing is a bit much.

Do you ever think of not listing your favorite teams to make it a little less obvious? :lol:

Return to Detroit Pistons