ImageImageImage

If you were SVG, how would you fix our SF position?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Re: If you were SVG, how would you fix our SF position? 

Post#41 » by sfballa13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I have a feeling Gay / Wilson Chandler might be available after their teams fall into the lower half of the West
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#42 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:11 pm

sfballa13 wrote:I have a feeling Gay / Wilson Chandler might be available after their teams fall into the lower half of the West

I doubt Sacramento trades Gay, unless Rudy pushes them to do so. They pitched him hard this summer to pick up his ridiculous paying option.

Wilson Chandler is definitely a possibility. He or Gallo could potentially be put up on the block, and could be had for a song.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#43 » by Kilo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

I don't think Stan Van Gundy will look to upgrade the SF position during the season because of Butler. If you acquired a SF via trade without sending out Singler than Butler is bumped back to DNP-CD'd on the bench and he's being paid $4.5M to be a leader and leaders need to play (according to Stan, to which I agree). And I don`t think the plan is to trade Singler as he`ll be a good bench rotation guy for us going forward, he`ll be an RFA I believe and we`ll QO him and hope to keep him at a reasonable rate this off-season on a four year deal.

I definitely think SF is a position we`ll look to address in the off-season - either via draft or trade once Butler`s option isn`t picked up or he`s traded (as a TO contract with acquiring team looking to cut him).

2015-2016
Singler/first round pick
or
FA Starter/Singler

2016-beyond
2015 First Rounder/Singler
or
2015 FA signing/Singler
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#44 » by theBigLip » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:28 pm

vege wrote:Try to take on future salary trading our expirings for a starter caliber SF (tier3)

If we can't get any of those just try to draft one next season.

Tier 1
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Paul George
Kawhi Leonard

Tier2
Rudy Gay
Paul Pierce
Chandler Parsons
Nicolas Batum
Luol Deng

Tier3
Wilson Chandler
Andrei Kirilenko
Jeff Green
Kidd-Gilchrist
Harrison Barnes

Good list. Seems like Pierce or Deng could have been had last summer, but as always, we would have had to overpay and also we were still waiting on Monroe. Barnes is my fav from Tier 3, although we may need to get him next year.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#45 » by theBigLip » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:30 pm

One possibility - it seems Bogut can't stay healthy for an entire year. We could trade Monroe (I think he'd agree) to the Warriors and get back Barnes. Might need to pull in a third team since we wouldn't need Bogut.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#46 » by princeofpalace » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Barnes is so overrated by members of this board- he's pedastrian in every facet of the game. He's not worth Monroe and isn't even a better options than the SF available in free agency. He has highschool hype but it hasn't translated into anything- he's a below average shooter, scorer, rebounder and defender. I'm not convinced Barnes is even better than Singler or Buddinger who would be a better trade target.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#47 » by Piston Pete » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Monroe for Gallinari
BigFatBob
Banned User
And1: 341

Post#48 » by BigFatBob » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Ive read through this entire thread. At this point mattao13, neptune, and sfballa13 seem to have the most logical ideas. If I was a general manager I would target Harrison Barnes.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kilo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't think Monroe will agree to any trade mid-season, because it would be going to a new situation with new teammates, new coaches, new plays without much practice time and he took a big time gamble signing the QO to have a big shake-up like that mid-season that could hurt his numbers. And the acquiring team wouldn't have his Bird Rights, so if the team is capped out, they couldn't even attempt to re-sign him.

I think Monroe ends up with a team out of Texas - either San Antonio (if Duncan retires) or Dallas, who will let Chandler walk and go all offense with their front court of Nowitzki-Monroe-Parsons. Outside of those, I think he'll have to work with Detroit to get S&T'd to a desired landing spot because I don't think he is a LA or NY kind of dude, and all the other teams with money are in the same competitive boat we are. All the contenders are capped out or close to capped out.
Weaver = Hinkie
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#50 » by kurtis48239 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:34 pm

dan2314 wrote:SF is not a terribly strong position, and the good ones are all young and heavily coveted by their current teams. The best one i can think of that the team doesnt have plans for is Wilson Chandler. I know that hes not perfect, and maybe to truly find a high potential SF we have to hope we find someone in the draft, but Chandlers strengths are what this team needs at SF assuming the rest of the starting lineup is BJ-KCP-__-Moose-Dre. He is a capable although not great shooter, both from deep and off the bounce in mid range or wherever, and uses his athletiscm well to get to the rim.
Denver does not plan on keeping him around with Gallinari being the better player, and is out of contract at the end of this year.

Not sure what assets we have to trade, so free agency might be the best idea and we should have a little bit of money again too with jerebkos deal done (4.5M), monroes wont count (do we lose bird rights after the QO?), datome is done(1.75), and then butler (4.5M)/martin and gray(1.3) are all non-guarenteed.

Jeff Green is a name constantly thrown around here, but if you talk to boston fans, theyll tell you how frustratinigly inconsistent he is. He will have one great game mixed in with 5 poor games. You cant have that from a starting SF on a good team. There really arent a whole lot of great option out there, so unless we can hit fire in the draft from either the end of the lottery or late teens, these are the choices we have to go with.
I agree with looking at wilson chandler,he looked pretty good last night,he played 18 minutes and put up good stats in that time,he was also a +18.If I was stan I would do what I could to get him.With him starting and singler/jonas/butler off the bench we would look a hell of alot more balanced and better.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#51 » by Kilo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:11 pm

We really don't have the trade assets - Dre and KCP won't and shouldn't be traded. Meeks can't and won't be traded. Jennings and Smith don't hold much trade value. Monroe will veto anything. Only thing we really have is expirings and our 2015 first rounder. I guess I'd be willing to part with a top 14 protected first rounder for the right SF, but this SF needs to be 27yo or younger and have at least two more years remaining on their reasonable contract.
Weaver = Hinkie
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#52 » by mattao313 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:16 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Barnes is so overrated by members of this board- he's pedastrian in every facet of the game. He's not worth Monroe and isn't even a better options than the SF available in free agency. He has highschool hype but it hasn't translated into anything- he's a below average shooter, scorer, rebounder and defender. I'm not convinced Barnes is even better than Singler or Buddinger who would be a better trade target.

Yeah your right but remember he's only be 23 next off-season season. He's a decent to good defender and has good athleticism. Plus its wayy easier to develop a shot than athleticism look a Iguodala had a terrible shot coming in the league now has a decent one an Barnes has a better shot than Andre did coming in the league.
Championships
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#53 » by theBigLip » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:52 pm

I guess another option is the offseason sign and trade involving Monroe, although usually that doesn't bring back anyone of significance. But if a capped out team really wants Monroe, maybe we could get a good but overpriced SF in return. Need to check some rosters to see if that is viable. Regardless, this is another option that means wait until this summer.
dan2314
Starter
And1: 245

Post#54 » by dan2314 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm

I still think we have to be thinking that we are building around monroe/drummond (as well as KCP at the 2). It just makes too much sense to have them together and have looked great so far in preseason. I would not trade monroe without a significant upgrade at Sf (or possibly PG), atleast not yet. Have got to be trying to please him and keep him around, because i love the drummond/monroe combination going forward. Despite the stretch 4 phenomenon, the best teams last year all still have two inside bigs (spurs, thunder, warriors, clippers, blazers(kind of), grizzlies, pacers, wizards, raptors, bulls, hawks) the only noticeable omission are the heat (who were obviously kind of good) and the rockets.

I do still think you need two dominant bigs to be successful, so can we please not go trying to trade monroe just yet until we know for sure he doesnt want to be in detroit next season
FluffySockNinja
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#55 » by FluffySockNinja » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 pm

If I'm Stanley I'm keeping a close eye on Chicago.

They are already paying big $$ to the likes of Rose, Noah and Gasol.
They've also tied up Taj, Heinrich, Brooks and Dunleavy plus still have to pay Mirotic soon.

Jimmy Butler is due for a massive pay rise this season and the Bulls ownership are notoriously cheap.

They may decide to not pay Jimmy, unlikely as it seems but if they do it may leave Tony Snell as the odd man out now that Doug McDermott is also on the team.

Snell can defend and score and would come cheap and may just be available at the deadline or in the off-season.
He would be a great pickup in place of Butler who I think is one and done with us this season and would likely be able to eventually supplant Singler who is probably best served on the bench.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#56 » by Neptune » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:43 pm

^I never thought about Jimmy Butler. That's a good opinion.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#57 » by detroitKG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:56 pm

LOL I don't see the Bulls letting Butler get away..that's just me,
dan2314
Starter
And1: 245

Post#58 » by dan2314 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 pm

FluffySockNinja wrote:If I'm Stanley I'm keeping a close eye on Chicago.

They are already paying big $$ to the likes of Rose, Noah and Gasol.
They've also tied up Taj, Heinrich, Brooks and Dunleavy plus still have to pay Mirotic soon.

Jimmy Butler is due for a massive pay rise this season and the Bulls ownership are notoriously cheap.

They may decide to not pay Jimmy, unlikely as it seems but if they do it may leave Tony Snell as the odd man out now that Doug McDermott is also on the team.

Snell can defend and score and would come cheap and may just be available at the deadline or in the off-season.
He would be a great pickup in place of Butler who I think is one and done with us this season and would likely be able to eventually supplant Singler who is probably best served on the bench.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

I like it. Snell or butler would be a great pickup (to different degrees obviously) and neither is completely out of the realms of possibility. Just got to hope that kcp shows he might be able to carry the wing offense almost by himself though because butler is not very good on that end despite dominating atlanta the other day. Even though the offense should be run through monroe/drummond primarily, that could be a problem.
Either way, with butler or snell, the defense would be absolutely insane, even with jennings at the point.
Dont really have any assets to give up to get them though (im sure they would LOVE kcp, but that aint happening) so going to have to just hope he makes it to FA... And who knows from there
engelbert321
Head Coach
And1: 1,369

Post#59 » by engelbert321 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 pm

detroitKG wrote:LOL I don't see the Bulls letting Butler get away..that's just me,

Depends on his asking price. I doubt they'll pay him 10+ mil/year. Look what happened to Deng.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#60 » by treefi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Trade for James Ennis.

Return to Detroit Pistons