ImageImageImage

Short and Long-term thoughts on the coming SVG-era

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

Short and Long-term thoughts on the coming SVG-era 

Post#1 » by blueadams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:03 pm

#1) This is going to be the most interesting -- not exciting -- season since Rick Carlisle's first. With a head coach/general manager in place, who is the ONLY decision maker.. we have a chance to be one of the few real teams in this league, again, and that goes a long, long, long way. The inmates will not run the asylum. The head coach will not take crap from the players. There will be an actual "system" in place. The actual players will have actual roles in that system. The players who do not accept, embrace and perform in, those roles.. will be benched. The players who do will be on the court. Actual coaching will take place. In the games. In the practices. And in the off-season. To say the least, this relatively novel experiment should be quite interesting to see.

#2) It's Monroe OR Smith. Don't kid yourselves. I think SVG is pulling for Smith to win out. Sure, Monroe's younger, but idk.. does it really matter all that much? Smith is potentially a perfect fit alongside Drummond at the 4. Monroe is probably never going to be. Do you really want to sign him to a max dollars, max years contract. When he's not a fit? Because he's younger? I don't think so. If Smith takes to SVG's coaching. This could work out great. We'd have the most athletic front-court in the league. The best defensive front-court in the league. The best rebounding front-court in the league. And while Smith isn't the shooter that SVG's traditionally had at the 4. He attacks the basket, breaks defenses down and passes like no one SVG's ever had. Like, really, no one in the league period.. outside of LeBron. Even a Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, whoever. They don't have the size, athleticism and unique skill-set that Smith does. Not to mention that Smith also happens to be the best anti-LeBron James in the league. I'm hoping that he takes to coaching. I'm hoping he plays in the role that he's asked to. I'm hoping that he gives great effort, at almost all times, on defense and on the boards. I'm really hoping that he embraces this whole thing and takes it on full-steam. I think it could work out beautifully.

#3) Brandon Jennings. No doubting his talent. He's got top-10 PG talent. No doubt about that. Is he going to take coaching? Is he going to play in the role that he's asked to? I don't expect either he or Smith to become the kind of leaders that you need to lead a great team. But they could, at the very least, mature into the kind of leaders that are good followers of a good leader. Real question with Jennings. Real reason I'm a little more skeptical about him than I am Smith. Is his defense. Does he really have the ability to be an, at least, average defender. Even with the coaching he'll get? Even with effort? Should be interesting to see. Especially with Tim Hardaway on staff.

#4) Trading Monroe. This team needs...as we stand...an upgrade at the 2 and the 3. Someone that can shoot from deep. Someone that can defend. Someone that's a great leader by example. I'm hoping that we'll deal Monroe, his cheap contract, and his bird rights to someone. I'm hoping that we'll get someone like I described in exchange. Who? Let's brainstorm. Shoot. I don't know. Hopefully we'll be able to land someone prominent. Or at least a decent pick.

#5) The Draft. Again. It's the same kind of players we're looking for at the 2 and the 3. Caris LeVert is a dude I really love (who I also think has PG skills). If we trade Monroe for a pick, we'll have another shot at someone good. Much to be determined in that realm.

#6) Free Agency. We're gonna have enough cap-space to sign TWO max free agents. And again, we'll be looking at the same spots. For the same things. Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson are both out there as RFA's. Perhaps unlikely. They'll be some FA's SVG sees.

#7) Next season.

C: Drummond at center.

PF: J-Smith at power forward.

PG: Jennings at point guard...and we'll see how good he is there.

2 and 3: KCP. We'll see what we have in him this season. Starter. Bench. Does he have a real role moving forward? Dinwiddie -- point skills -- but could impress and be a factor here. Meeks will be there, at least as a bencher. We'll see what we have in him.

Bench: We'll see what kind of backup PG play Augustin brings. We'll see if T-Mitchell earns his option. Martin and Gray will probably exercise player options to remain on the bench in some capacity. Will Butler earn himself another season? Singler? Jerebko? Datome? Anthony? Shall see.

Additions: Our pick. Hopefully LeVert. What we get for Monroe. As I see it.. hopefully another good pick. Hopefully a SF-version of LeVert who D's too. Free Agent dollars? Hopefully spent on bringing in a real prominent 2 or 3. Maybe a second prominent 2 or 3...or some bench depth.

#8) Closer Look at Next Season:

C: Drummond, Gray
PF: Smith, *Quality bench 4/5 FA, I hope*
SF: *Big-time FA signing, I hope*, *Good pick for Monroe, I hope*, Martin
SG: *LeVert, I hope*, KCP, Meeks
PG: Jennings, Augustin.....Dinwiddie

Return to Detroit Pistons