ImageImageImage

The Official 2015 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Re: The Official 2015 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#121 » by ducler » Mon Dec 8, 2014 8:07 am

I was thinking about it: with Embiid, Noel and MCW, who the 76ers will take with their top 3 pick?
dan2314
Starter
And1: 245

Post#122 » by dan2314 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:06 am

What we need more than anything is anyone(hopefully a SF) who can create his own shot, because right now, Monroe is the only one on the team capable of that. Jabari Parker would have been perfect, this year, Kelly Oubre has that game, but its definitely a worry that he can't get off the bench for Kansas. Unfortunately, the best prospects are bigs, and Mudiay.

I love Stanley Johnson and Winslow, but their biggest strength is wing defense, and doesn't solve the problem of putting the ball in the hole. At this point they are 1 and 2 for me still though. From previous years, it appears its a lot easier for those terrific defensive college players to learn offense (leonard and butler first to come to mind) than it is for offensive players to commit defensively.

There is a chance we can throw all of the money at Jimmy Butler from a notoriously cheap Chicago Bulls franchise, or even Kawhi, which would fill that SF spot, allowing us to draft BPA with someone like Mudiay or one of Okafor/Towns/Turner and work it out from there. Much more difficult to do that though as the draft is first. As well as me being relatively content with Jennings and really want to do what ever it takes to retain Monroe.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#123 » by Notanoob » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:27 am

ducler wrote:I was thinking about it: with Embiid, Noel and MCW, who the 76ers will take with their top 3 pick?
I suspect that the Sixers will still be in 'asset acquisition mode', so they'll take whoever they believe is the best player available.

If they're thinking of dumping anybody, I'd guess they'd be happy to replace MCW with Mudiay before taking any of the other bigs over Embiid. MCW has a ton of flaws and isn't a good player beyond filling up the box score. Can't shoot, poor defender who gamble too much, too turnover prone. He isn't awfully young for a second year player either. Mudiay is a clear-cut better player IMO. Okafor on the other hand is not a much better prospect than Embiid, assuming Embiid makes a full recovery (and the Sixers have made this assumption, thus they drafted him 3rd overall in the first place).
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#124 » by mattao313 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:32 am

dan2314 wrote:What we need more than anything is anyone(hopefully a SF) who can create his own shot, because right now, Monroe is the only one on the team capable of that. Jabari Parker would have been perfect, this year, Kelly Oubre has that game, but its definitely a worry that he can't get off the bench for Kansas. Unfortunately, the best prospects are bigs, and Mudiay.

I love Stanley Johnson and Winslow, but their biggest strength is wing defense, and doesn't solve the problem of putting the ball in the hole. At this point they are 1 and 2 for me still though. From previous years, it appears its a lot easier for those terrific defensive college players to learn offense (leonard and butler first to come to mind) than it is for offensive players to commit defensively.

There is a chance we can throw all of the money at Jimmy Butler from a notoriously cheap Chicago Bulls franchise, or even Kawhi, which would fill that SF spot, allowing us to draft BPA with someone like Mudiay or one of Okafor/Towns/Turner and work it out from there. Much more difficult to do that though as the draft is first. As well as me being relatively content with Jennings and really want to do what ever it takes to retain Monroe.

We also can go after Tobias Harris and Harrison Barnes.
Championships
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#125 » by ducler » Mon Dec 8, 2014 10:30 am

A Drummond/Towns/KCP/Dinwiddie core would be better and would have more potential than a Drummond/Johnson or Winslow/KCP/Dinwiddie one.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#126 » by MotownMadness » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:12 pm

I really want Stanley Johnson. Hes the SF we have been needing. Athleticism, Elite defender and a growing offensive game. Hes going to be the next Jimmy Butler- Kawhi Leonard type. Him and KCP together on the wing would give us a nice duo of defense and athleticism.

Hes playing Michigan right now on ESPN. Its about halftime but hes already got 13pts on 6-8 shooting. I also think he will be impactful right out the gate at the next level and just be the kind of player who can play system ball.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#127 » by DetroitSho » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 pm

ducler wrote:A Drummond/Towns/KCP/Dinwiddie core would be better and would have more potential than a Drummond/Johnson or Winslow/KCP/Dinwiddie one.

Not necessarily directed at you, but I get confused how this fan base hates 7th-9th overall draft picks, but constantly includes a 30th+ overall pick (15th at best with no injuries) in the team's projected core going forward.

What has Dinwiddie shown other than being young to be firmly entrenched into everyone's vision of who will be important contributors to the team? And why would adding someone 7 or 8 draft slots higher be seen as a bad thing? I just don't get people.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#128 » by MotownMadness » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:50 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
ducler wrote:A Drummond/Towns/KCP/Dinwiddie core would be better and would have more potential than a Drummond/Johnson or Winslow/KCP/Dinwiddie one.

Not necessarily directed at you, but I get confused how this fan base hates 7th-9th overall draft picks, but constantly includes a 30th+ overall pick (15th at best with no injuries) in the team's projected core going forward.

What has Dinwiddie shown other than being young to be firmly entrenched into everyone's vision of who will be important contributors to the team? And why would adding someone 7 or 8 draft slots higher be seen as a bad thing? I just don't get people.

Ths draft is a Big man draft. I honestly think we sill be fine even if we are picking between 5-10. If we can come out with either one of Johnson or Winslow I would still be happpy. Even that international SG/SF Henzoja (I think his name is) is loaded with potential. Basically I think everyone in the top 10 will be chasing after a big while we can grab a wing.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#129 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:46 am

Watched Stan Johnson play against U of M. He looked pretty good. Knocked down a 3, took the ball into the D and got and 1, and displayed some lock down defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#130 » by DBC10 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:14 am

I'm still intrigued with Mudiay for some reason. I really like him as a prospect and athletic tools.
kf96
Junior
And1: 69

Post#131 » by kf96 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:51 am

MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Ths draft is a Big man draft. I honestly think we sill be fine even if we are picking between 5-10. If we can come out with either one of Johnson or Winslow I would still be happpy. Even that international SG/SF Henzoja (I think his name is) is loaded with potential. Basically I think everyone in the top 10 will be chasing after a big while we can grab a wing.

Hezonja
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#132 » by reanimator » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:39 pm

PGs: Emmanuel Mudiay, Tyus Jones, D'Angelo Russell

Wings: Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, Mario Hezonja, Kelly Oubre

These are the only guys that should be considered.

Love Caris Levert but you can't play him with KCP.

Jerian Grant is a dark horse at PG.
engelbert321
Head Coach
And1: 1,369

Post#133 » by engelbert321 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 pm

I hear reports about trading Monroe for a 1st round pick. I'd love if it was 13-20th.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#134 » by MotownMadness » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 am

Okafor with 10pts and 11rebs and 2 blks at halftime.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#135 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:06 am

Winslow is intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#136 » by coolness » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:50 am

Question: If we luck into 1st overall (or 2nd or 3rd maybe,) would you rather trade down?

If Jahlil Okafor looks like a 10x AllStar HOFer, then do you try to work a trade for 6th/7th/15th for him and the 2nd?

It sounds far-fetched, but it could happen.

Porzingis/Hezonja/Kaminsky ----- all shooters to put with Drummond and Moose.

Sorry for them being all white dudes, but Hezonja seems like the best shooter/scorer of the wing prospects (and technically could play some 3 unlike stick-Levert) and the other two are easily the best shooting BIG dudes. They could be the 3rd/4th bigs with DrumMoose.

It's all silliness in a way, but imo we will see a DrumMoose rising until the end of the season and it would be wrong to trade Moose for a mid-to-late 1st. Drummond has the power and Moose has the "making layups" skill that is actually pretty rare and impressive. It would be great if they had floor-stretching bigs to play with them. They are both great rebounders too, but yea, just preaching to the choir.

Please comment on if you would trade down. I am aware of the risk of trading a sure thing for 2-3 players who might not pan out.

Mudiay is exciting, but I think he will take longer to contribute without pulling Homers than other prospects and that he doesn't change the lack of shooting on our squad. Keep in mind that Monroe and Drummond are close to ready to be mature players, so we might be better than we think next year.

Sorry if verbose. Drinking.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#137 » by Pharaoh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 am

IF we could convince Monroe to stay then we've got to get a legit alpha at PG or SF in the Draft...and the other one in free agency.

People seem to think we'll be terrible for the next 3 years. Call me optimistic but I don't think it'll take that long.

Does anyone think SVG has the patience to tank for 3 seasons?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#138 » by Joe Berry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:23 am

Which of those top prospects has the highest basketball IQ ? You can have all the talent in the world, if you lack basketball IQ its worth nothing.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#139 » by ducler » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:39 am

I want to see what Spencer is capable of before drafting another PG. Also, Dinwiddie has a natural shot, Mudiay hasn't. It will take time for Emmanuel to have an efficient long distance shot.

Top 3 is too high for guys like Winslow and Johnson at SF. Plus, they are more defensive guys than ones who can create in offense.

I still believe in KAT (more a fit here than Monroe and Okafor are), so I'd take him as our top 3 and try to trade Moose for another pick or a young SF.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#140 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Joe Asberry wrote:Which of those top prospects has the highest basketball IQ ? You can have all the talent in the world, if you lack basketball IQ its worth nothing.

I think there are some high BBIQ players in the this draft. Okafor is a smart player, but lacks the athleticism and doesn't seem to exhibit that 'alpha' attitude to truly be a franchise cornerstone.

Stanley Johnson is jack of all trades player that has great defensive instincts and a great feel for the game.

Mudiay- I've heard nothing but good things about him, but can't say I've seen much outside of highlight reels (which makes everyone look good).

Justise Winslow is another small forward that has a tool box of skills, like Johnson. More athletic, but not as developed physically.

Karl Town- Might end up being the best player from this draft in five years. Has all the tools to be an elite PF/C in the NBA, but requires time/reps to get there.

Return to Detroit Pistons