ImageImageImage

New Pistons Off-Season Plan

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: New Pistons Off-Season Plan 

Post#21 » by MotownMadness » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:21 pm

retrolenny wrote:Part of my off season plan would include shipping Meeks out for a roll of dirty toilet paper!!! He sucks!!!

Yeah he's been pretty bad, I'm still hoping he comes out of this slump if that's even what it is.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#22 » by whitehops » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 pm

someone I'd like to target in free agency is KJ McDaniels. he only took a one year contract with the sixers this year because he either wanted to get out of philly fast or to sign a bigger contract. I was really high on him during last year's draft, thought he could've been a first round pick easily. philly was smart and traded him for whatever they could get, so now he's in Houston where they don't have a great cap situation, but not terrible.

he's obviously still a project but I think he could start at SF for us and bring some more defense on the wing. I'd have no problem giving him something like 3 years/$12-15 million.

for those that haven't seen him play:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YXnYsApmM[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXI3L1dBxg[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajKkDyT3QvQ[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44gRDP269JU[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBBtMx_ez0[/youtube]
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#23 » by jakebernat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Admittedly, i'm getting extremely ahead of myself with this, but I'm gonna have a little fun.

Let's say Jackson plays very well is is anointed PGOTF by SVG, making jennings expendable. We have to at least explore trade options, right?

Indiana has shown that they don't value George hill as highly as they once did. They want their PG to be more of a playmaker rather than a complimentary offensive piece. Also, they have to be thinking about adding a young froncourt piece as David West is entering the 2nd half of his career.

Here's the part where I have fun.

The draft comes around, and we're picking in the 15-18 range as we make the playoffs in the bottom half of the east. Indy makes a push, but finishes with a bottom 10 record. Should this happen, we should absolutely think about moving up in the draft to grab an impact wing.

What if we offered them a package consisting of jennings, who would upgrade their PG position, Meeks, who is probably better than any SG on their roster, and our 1st rounder for Hill, who would give us a defensive combo guard that can really stretch the court, CJ Miles, who has completely underperformed to his contract (we'd be taking back his bad contract,) and their 1st rounder?

Indy would have a revamped roster that fits their liking, a bad contract off their books, and a mid first rounder that they can use to target a number of impressive bigs in the draft.

We'd gain a low-turnover guard with unreal length and impressive floor spacing ability, all qualities that scream "SVG". He'd join Dinwiddie, a 6'6 true PG, and give us one of the most dynamic backcourt rotations in the league. CJ Miles would ride the bench, and we'd likely have to eat the rest of his contract until he becomes an expiring, but that's the only downside for us. We could really zone in on justise Winslow as the physically imposing lockdown defensive SF that we desperately need.

Then, we could use FA to really just focus on retaining our own guys, Moose and RJ. If possible, we could go after another floor spacing wing.

Our lineup would look like this:

PG: Jackson, Dinwiddie, Hill, Lucas?
SG: KCP, Hill, Dinwiddie
SF: Winslow, Butler, Miller?, FA
PF: Monroe, Tolliver, 2nd rounder
C: Drummond, Monroe, Anthony

That was fun.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#24 » by vic » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Probably switch from drafting Stanley Johnson/Oubre to Justin Anderson. Everything else stays Same
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Re: Re: 

Post#25 » by Phenomenonsense » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:37 pm

blueadams wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Can't be under the cap by more than the MLE, use the space then get the MLE on top!

Best plan:

Draft a quality SF

Sign a quality SF (Harris)

Retain Monroe and Jackson

Oh cool--so we could use the MLE. Think Tyson Chandler or Louis Williams could be had for that?

Also. What kind of salary ranges are we looking at for Danny Green, Jared Dudley and Wesley Matthews?

No, you can't use the MLE. MLE is an "exception" (the mid level one) for teams over the cap or within range of the MLE. (Say you're 4 million below the cap, you can sign someone for the full MLE, if you're 1 million below, you can still use the MLE, and if you're over you have the MLE as well. For all intents and purposes, every team here has the same amount of cap space.)

Best option is to work with Jackson so that he doesn't sign with someone else immediately, Resign Monroe, then offer max/near max to one option at SF, either Leonard, Green (Can he even play the 3?), or whomever. Of course we keep KCP, even if he isn't the best he has potential and is on a rookie deal.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#26 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:27 pm

I think we are in one of the best positions of any team in the league. We have tons of cap room, no bad contracts, a rock solid young core with huge potential, and a great coach/front office. With that said, I don't think we will be able to sign any of these restricted FA SF's because the teams will match. I think our best option is to package our pick along with other 1st rounders and non core players to try and pry away a SF who is disgruntled or something like that. If we can't find a borderline allstar SF with those picks then we should go hard after Wilson Chandler. We would have a huge starting 5 with high defensive potential and offensive versatility.

Jackson/Dinwiddie
Caldwell-Pope/Meeks
Chandler/Butler
Monroe/Tolliver
Drummond/Monroe/Anthony
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#27 » by Notanoob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:41 pm

whitehops wrote:someone I'd like to target in free agency is KJ McDaniels. he only took a one year contract with the sixers this year because he either wanted to get out of philly fast or to sign a bigger contract. I was really high on him during last year's draft, thought he could've been a first round pick easily. philly was smart and traded him for whatever they could get, so now he's in Houston where they don't have a great cap situation, but not terrible.

he's obviously still a project but I think he could start at SF for us and bring some more defense on the wing. I'd have no problem giving him something like 3 years/$12-15 million.

I'd love to have him too (I was a big fan of his going into this draft), but because he's only a second year player, there is a maximum amount of money we can give him. That amount is so small that any team could sign him, so the only way to get him is if he likes our team over any other FA destination.

I wouldn't count on being able to get him.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#28 » by Timmaytime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Let's trade Brandon Jennings for Andre Iguodala
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#29 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Snakebites wrote:The largest move we will make this offseason is resigning Jackson.

This is true. Re-signing Jackson and Monroe for the long term is one our best potential outcomes. We obviously need an upgrade at small forward, but we can address that in the draft, via trades as well as free agency. The small forward crop in FA doesn't look too promising. We will need someone who can guard the elite small forwards of the East, more than a jack of all trades player. Unfortunately, players who can adequately guard LeBron, PG13 and Melo are not a common commodity.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#30 » by princeofpalace » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:26 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if SVG did make a move for Johnson in the offseason. I don't think its fiscally responsible to hand out 3 long term deals to big names in 1 offseason. I think Monroe is getting the 5 year max from SVG, his play has warranted it. While I may not be convinced of Jackson, it sounds like SVG wants him around long term. As much as I would love to add another big named SF, I don't think its realistic.

I can see SVG packaging Jennings/Meeks/10 mill in raw cap for Joe Johnson so SVG has some 2016 flexibility.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#31 » by russkopp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 pm

My question is this, people still think no matter what Moose is gone. Let's say that happens. What's next...

Jackson/Jennings/Dinwiddie
KCP/...
----/Butler?
----/Tolliver
Drummond/----

With 2 rookies in there somewhere. I know money won't be an issue for us this summer but Moose, Draymond(RFA) and Tobias Harris(RFA) are my top 3 and there's a big chance none of them come our way. What do people here think would be our next move? Jennings trade possibly?
Fire Troy Weaver
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#32 » by russkopp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 pm

princeofpalace wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if SVG did make a move for Johnson in the offseason. I don't think its fiscally responsible to hand out 3 long term deals to big names in 1 offseason. I think Monroe is getting the 5 year max from SVG, his play has warranted it. While I may not be convinced of Jackson, it sounds like SVG wants him around long term. As much as I would love to add another big named SF, I don't think its realistic.

I can see SVG packaging Jennings/Meeks/10 mill in raw cap for Joe Johnson so SVG has some 2016 flexibility.

I believe each team can only have one 5 year max player, it will be Dre.

Also, Matt Dery on the radio said insiders he's spoken with said the Joe Johnson trade had some legs and could be talked about again in the summer with Jennings going the other way. We get a wing, shooter and a TON of cap space for a second year in a row.
Fire Troy Weaver
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#33 » by DocRI » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 pm

russkopp wrote:I believe each team can only have one 5 year max player, it will be Dre.

I think we get to take advantage of a crazy loophole. I believe the rule is that a team can only offer one five year EXTENSION, and since Moose played on his QO his next deal qualifies as a new contract rather than one. That means we can lock Moose up for five years this offseason and then still extend Dre for five when the time comes.

jakebernat wrote:The draft comes around, and we're picking in the 15-18 range as we make the playoffs in the bottom half of the east. Indy makes a push, but finishes with a bottom 10 record. Should this happen, we should absolutely think about moving up in the draft to grab an impact wing.

First Jake, sorry to shorten your post so much! But I actually posted this EXACT same thought over on the T&T board in the "Is Brandon Jennings Available?" thread. I didn't think it out as far or as large as you did, but my thinking was that if we make the playoffs and our pick is around, say, #16, would Jennings & our pick net a low-lotto pick and a bad contract? Maybe the NOP pick from HOU? Maybe SAC's pick if we took back Jason Thompson? Something to bump us up 5 to 7 spots so we could draft one of the top SF prospects.

blueadams wrote:Also. What kind of salary ranges are we looking at for Danny Green, Jared Dudley and Wesley Matthews?

One question to the OP — why do you prefer these guys rather than exercising our option(s) on KCP? Whatever salary range Danny Green, Dudley and Matthew land in, I guarantee it'll be a higher one than KCP's rookie deal! Do you just really hate KCP? Otherwise, why spend a chunk of cap space for a role player upgrade when we've got an improving second-year player and solid wing defender under team control?
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#34 » by princeofpalace » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:25 pm

russkopp wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if SVG did make a move for Johnson in the offseason. I don't think its fiscally responsible to hand out 3 long term deals to big names in 1 offseason. I think Monroe is getting the 5 year max from SVG, his play has warranted it. While I may not be convinced of Jackson, it sounds like SVG wants him around long term. As much as I would love to add another big named SF, I don't think its realistic.

Also, Matt Dery on the radio said insiders he's spoken with said the Joe Johnson trade had some legs and could be talked about again in the summer with Jennings going the other way. We get a wing, shooter and a TON of cap space for a second year in a row.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#35 » by princeofpalace » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:25 pm

russkopp wrote:
B

And you would be wrong to think that
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#36 » by whitehops » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 am

Notanoob wrote:I'd love to have him too (I was a big fan of his going into this draft), but because he's only a second year player, there is a maximum amount of money we can give him. That amount is so small that any team could sign him, so the only way to get him is if he likes our team over any other FA destination.

I wouldn't count on being able to get him.

unless i'm missing something, the maximum we can give him is:
For any player who has completed fewer than seven (7) years of service, the greater of (x) 25% of the Salary Cap* in effect in the first season of the contract, renegotiation, or extension, or (y) 105% of the player’s salary for the prior season.

source (page #15, section Q.1): http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101.pdf

I believe he could, in theory, make as much money as Monroe this offseason (not including us re-signing moose because we have his bird rights). neither are getting rookie contract extensions and both fit under the 7 years of service category.

he wouldn't be a rookie so the rookie pay scale doesn't apply to him.

when he signed his deal it was considered a high-risk, high-reward move, but it looks like he could really get paid in just his second year in the league. i'm pretty sure Dinwiddie got a big contract for a second round player, and despite the amount he makes in his first three years (a little under $3 mill) KJ could make more than that next year alone.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#37 » by sc8581 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:01 am

I'm still not convinced SVG wants to bring Monroe back, we could be in the market for more of a stretch 4 this summer. Free agency, draft or trade because of cap space we have options to go get somebody.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#38 » by Pharaoh » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:11 pm

IMO SVG wants to bring back Monroe and now Jackson.

Middleton is precisely the type of player SVG covets - quality shooter, capable defender, under the radar a fair bit.

Remember the Meeks signing? No one expected that at the time but Stan knew what he wanted and went out and got it.

People can complain about overpaying but it's all relative: Meeks for 3 years will bridge the gap we had (have) at that position.

Middleton screams Meeks signing Part II to me...cause I don't see Danny Green or Wesley Matthews coming here

Drummond/Monroe/Vet
Monroe/Tolliver/2nd Rounder
Middleton/Rookie/KCP/Martin
KCP/Meeks/Jackson/Mayor
Jackson/Jennings/Mayor

That's 13...

Dre 33/Monroe 10/Vet 5
Monroe 24/Tolliver 16/ 2nd 8
Middleton 28/1st 10/KCP 10
KCP 18/Jackson 20/Mayor 10
Jackson 10/Jennings 28/Mayor 10

11 man rotation with the rookies being forced to earn their time (like Dinwiddie has) & could easily not make the rotation if things fall our way.

It's entirely possible we now have 3 (or 4) legit bench pieces on this roster: Dinwiddie, Meeks, Tolliver (& Jennings)

It's entirely possible we also have 4 quality starters on the roster: Dre, Monroe, KCP, Jackson

When SVG was hired we had 2 quality starters, potentially 1 or 2 more and nothing else!

And yet there was a thread on the GB asking if Stan deserved blame for the situation he found himself in?

LMMFAO! Stan deserves a **** statue for the turnaround! In less than 12 months I might add!
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#39 » by vic » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Yep I think they make the playoffs with Jackson... So by bye top 10 draft pick.

I think they draft Justin Anderson or Bobby Portis. Most likely Anderson so as not to spook Monroe. Or maybe Portis for Monroe insurance

I think they sign Middleton, then go over cap for Monroe and Jackson. It's genius for SVG to lock in these deals right before the cap space explodes.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

Post#40 » by blueadams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Joe Johnson. 53rd best WAR in the NBA. 308th defensive RPM (HORRIBLE!!!). Career 37% 3-pt shooter. 33 yrs old. One season left at 24.9M.

Jennings makes 8.4M.

If we were to make the trade...it'd eat up all of our cap space. Wouldn't be able to bring back Monroe AND Jackson. Or anyone else. Makes no sense. Especially considering other FA options.

Return to Detroit Pistons