ImageImageImage

New Pistons Off-Season Plan

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Re: New Pistons Off-Season Plan 

Post#81 » by vic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Danny Green that's another guy who plays the 2 primarily so you lose defensive advantage with him guarding SFs...

Good thing is though with all the work done during the season the offseason should be pretty simple
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

Post#82 » by blueadams » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Middleton, Matthews, Da. Green, Dudley and KCP are all guys to me who could guard most 3's in the league. Matthews and Green would be the two that you prefer against 2's, tho
blueadams
Junior

Post#83 » by blueadams » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Point is. You're basically taking (keeping) everything that's good about this team right now. Adding two wing shooters/defenders through FA. And hopefully another at the 4 through the draft. All good things. Positive.
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#84 » by Redeemed » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:37 pm

I like Wesley Matthews and Khris Middleton as possible small forward offseason acquistions.

I wonder if Quincy Miller will prove to be the future of that position. SVG could develop the kid and get more out of him than the coaches in Denver and Sacramento. Overly optimistic? Maybe.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#85 » by chrbal » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

I'd view Quincey Miller as a project if he sticks with the team. Nice thing is that he is still only 22.
vic
Veteran

Post#86 » by vic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Yeah Q Miller could always be the SF/Stretch PF of the future... he's definitely got the talent for it.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
blueadams
Junior

Post#87 » by blueadams » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Let's turn the discussion to NBA options for stretch-4's. Thoughts?

Paul Millsap. 33% 3-pt shooter. UFA.
Khris Middleton. 41% 3-pt shooter. RFA.
LaMarcus Aldridge. 28% 3-pt shooter. UFA.
Kevin Love. 36% 3-pt shooter. PO. No chance SVG could sell him on being the star of an up-and-coming team in Detroit alongside Drummond, is there?
Jared Dudley. 40% 3-pt shooter. ETO.
Amir Johnson. 34% 3-pt shooter. UFA.
Thaddeus Young. 32% 3-pt shooter. ETO.
DeMarre Carrol. 36% 3-pt shooter. UFA.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#88 » by sc8581 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:32 am

blueadams wrote:Let's turn the discussion to NBA options for stretch-4's. Thoughts?

Kevin Love. 36% 3-pt shooter. PO. No chance SVG could sell him on being the star of an up-and-coming team in Detroit alongside Drummond, is there?

Millsap is the only realistic option on your list, Middleton and Carroll would be OK for the 3 but they can't play big minutes at the 4. Young wouldn't be a bad addition but he's no stretch 4. More likely we address this through draft or trade.
iVC15
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#89 » by iVC15 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 am

I think markieff morris could be a good off season pick up somehow if monroe doesnt re-sign but i have no idea how to work it out
edit : actually i would prefer morris over monroe lol
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by sc8581 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:38 am

iVC15 wrote:I think markieff morris could be a good off season pick up somehow if monroe doesnt re-sign but i have no idea how to work it out

I wanted Morris for Monroe last summer, he's locked up for the next 4 years at about $8M per now so I doubt we have what it would take to get him.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#91 » by mattao313 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 am

sc8581 wrote:
iVC15 wrote:I think markieff morris could be a good off season pick up somehow if monroe doesnt re-sign but i have no idea how to work it out

I wanted Morris for Monroe last summer, he's locked up for the next 4 years at about $8M per now so I doubt we have what it would take to get him.

We would have to take his bro too...but I really don't know his game is he at least a decent defender? not a great 3pt shooter but money from mid range judging from stats.
Championships
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by sc8581 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:00 am

mattao313 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:

We would have to take his bro too...but I really don't know his game is he at least a decent defender? not a great 3pt shooter but money from mid range judging from stats.

Mid range is still a stretch 4, adequate defender, tough, probably better with a guy like Drummond behind him. Again, not really an option at this point, Brandon Bass might be a cheap way to fill that role for a year or two, great mid-range and a better defender than Morris, not a sexy signing but one that would no doubt help.
GSR121
Junior
And1: 34

Post#93 » by GSR121 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 am

I agree with most of you. Signing our guys (Jackson/Monroe) last is the way to go, if you can. Another team could throw a monkey-wrench into that plan by signing either to an offer day one of FA period. I could be wrong but I think a team only has so long to mach an offer. The options on KCP and Tolliver are automatic. I think we trade Jennings in the off season. He will not be happy as a backup and SVG seems to be a guy that likes to settle situations as fast as he can and not let them linger. We need a SF or two and a PF/C off the bench.

What we do this off season will all depend on if Monroe stays or not. If he stays, your looking for a back up and lots of options are out there. If he moves on it will change everything! We can no longer sign the free agents we want with the capspace we have and then go over cap and resign our starting PF. We would have to spend almost all of our free agency dollars to replace him. So basically, it is all dependent on him. So lets say he stays, because if he doesn't we have allot fewer options. So here is my plan...

Make a max offer for Jimmy Butler on day one. Either Chicago matches (probably) and uses it capspace early, or we have a young very likely perennial all star SF locked up for 4 years. I do not think Butler has reached his full potential yet. He is the only SF I see worth a max deal this year. Da. Green is a good player but not a max guy. If you sign him to a max deal, being his "hometown team" and he can't live up to it, it would be a disaster for both him and the Pistons.

other SF options I would consider are:
DeMarre Carrol
KJ McDaniels
Wesley Matthews
Khris Middleton

Another option might be trading for Robert Covington, Philly is rumored to be willing to trade anyone on the team for a first round pick. If we make the playoffs and have a pick in the 15-19 range, he might be better than anyone left at that point.

As far as PF/C, that all depends on Monroe. if he says, it is a minor concern. If he chooses to go, we have problems...
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#94 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

blueadams wrote:Let's turn the discussion to NBA options for stretch-4's. Thoughts?

Middleton and Dudley are not stretch 4's. They would get absolutely demolished at the 4 on defense.

Love- I believe SVG could sell him on what's happening in Detroit. Problem is, Love's desire to play back in Los Angeles is the worst kept secret. I don't believe we, or really any team, can compete with LA's intangible benefits of living there. The media access, weather, prestige, etc.

The rest of the list doesn't rouse excited responses. Millsap is a warrior, but he's a guy who relies heavily on his athleticism as an undersized PF and he's crossing the threshold of 30. Always dangerous to sign those types to big contracts.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#95 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:29 pm

GSR121 wrote:I agree with most of you. Signing our guys (Jackson/Monroe) last is the way to go, if you can. Another team could throw a monkey-wrench into that plan by signing either to an offer day one of FA period. I could be wrong but I think a team only has so long to mach an offer.

They could always do what the Nets recently did with Brook Lopez, where they had a deal agreed to, but waited until they tried to get any deals done before signing him to it. (It was for the Dwight Howard trade in that instance, but same idea). And yes, they have 3 days to match an offer sheet. This is what would best serve Detroit as long as Jackson and Monroe (if he even wants to stay) will agree.

Throwing a max offer at Butler isn't a bad idea. I sincerely doubt Chicago would let him walk, especially considering how unreliable Rose's health is and likely will be going forward. But, why not at least try and put some serious pressure on Chicago? You could make the same play for Leonard in San Antonio, but you know they aren't going to hesitate to match. And if they didn't, I'd be really worried I just overpaid for a glorified role player.
vic
Veteran

Post#96 » by vic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Problem with the SFs/PFs in FA is the only ones athletic and defensive minded enough to guard Lebron/KD are Jimmy Butler and Kawhi and Draymond. Those are the ones not likely to leave their teams too. The rest aren't big enough

That's why Id prefer to address it in the draft with guys that are young enough to be a perfect fit and add to our core at the same time - Justin Anderson and Bobby Portis are both 2-way players that can slow down SFs and stretch 4s. Justin Anderson is a 3 and Bobby is a perfect backup or replacement for Greg Monroe
mattao313
General Manager

Post#97 » by mattao313 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 pm

sc8581 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:

Mid range is still a stretch 4, adequate defender, tough, probably better with a guy like Drummond behind him. Again, not really an option at this point, Brandon Bass might be a cheap way to fill that role for a year or two, great mid-range and a better defender than Morris, not a sexy signing but one that would no doubt help.

Thanks, I also said Brandon Bass would be a option in the other thread awhile ago seems like a guy most would overlook.
Championships
mattao313
General Manager

Post#98 » by mattao313 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Love- I believe SVG could sell him on what's happening in Detroit. Problem is, Love's desire to play back in Los Angeles is the worst kept secret. I don't believe we, or really any team, can compete with LA's intangible benefits of living there. The media access, weather, prestige, etc.

Love would be the perfect guy for this team just adding him would make us a top 5 team in the East imo. The best stretch 4 in the best stretch 4 system would be crazy.
Championships
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#99 » by jakebernat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:35 pm

what about jae crowder? he's an under-the-radar FA who would probably be the best SF on this team if he played for us. he's 6'7 with a chiseled frame, a high-IQ player on both ends, and has a relentless motor. we don't have any wings at the moment who can match up with the more physical perimeter players in the league, so after butler and leonard resign with their teams, i think crowder could be a very good option.

nothing overly exciting about him, but he plays very good defense and can at least hit an open 3. both he and middleton would be my offseason FA targets.

since we're not likely to be able to draft an impact wing with our pick, this would allow us to target the BPA in the draft, likely a big, with our pick. bobby portis would be my choice, he's really growing on me.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#100 » by DetroitSho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:38 pm

It's apparent people don't know what a Stretch 4 is based on the names being thrown out.

Return to Detroit Pistons