ImageImageImage

2015 Free Agency Options Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

2015 Free Agency Options Thread 

Post#1 » by blueadams » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:56 am

First. Let's get the cap-space question out of the way.
-Players on the roster: Jennings(8.3M) + Meeks(6.3M) + Dinwiddie(0.8M)
-1st rd. Draft Pick (*current projection): + *9th Pick(2.2M)
-Player Options going to be picked up: + Martin(1.2M)
-Team Options going to be picked up: + Drummond(3.3M) + Tolliver(3M) + C-Pope(2.9M)
-Free Agent Cap Holds: Monroe(10.2M) + Jackson(5.5M)
-Minimum Cap Holds (11th and 12th roster spots): + 0.5M + 0.5M
-Dead Money: + J. Smith(5.4M) + A. Gray(1.4M)
-Total Salaries = 51.5M
-Projected Salary Cap = 66.5M
-Projected Salary Cap Space = 15M

So. There you have it. Roughly 15M to play with.

Really. Just enough to sign one really good player. Maybe two okay ones.

Just taking a look at the top-100 WAR players set to become free agents..

***NOT OPTIONS***
-RFA's whose teams are most likely going to match max options: Dr. Green, J. Butler, K. Leonard.
-Guys who will never sign here: L. James, T. Duncan, K. Love, M. Ginobili, L. Aldridge (probably not)
-Guys I don't want: P. Millsap, M. Gasol, D. Jordan, M. Ellis, L. Williams, L. Deng, T. Mozgov, R. Gay, T. Young, T. Thompson, L. Scola, A. Aminu, L. Allen.

***OPTIONS***
-Khris Middleton(RFA). I guess we'll have to see what Milwaukee's willing to match here. I like him. Young. Intangibles. Good outside shooter. Good defender.
-L. Aldridge(UFA). Probably will have better FA options. But at least worth listing, if we decide not to stick with Monroe.
-W. Matthews(UFA). Might be worth overpaying? Young-ish. Intangibles. Good outside shooter. Good defender. Breakout star potential?
-Da. Green(UFA). Might be worth overpaying? Young-ish. Intangibles. Good outside shooter. Good defender. No breakout star potential, but a better outside shooter than Matthews.
-J. Dudley(PO). Young-ish. Intangibles. Good outside shooter. Good defender. Could be a solid role player?
-A. Johnson(UFA). Some stretch-4 potential?
-D. Carroll. Young-ish. Intangibles. Good outside shooter. Good defender. Could be a solid role player?

I guess I'm hoping for options 1) Matthews, 2) Middleton, 3) Da. Green, 4) Dudley, 5) Carroll. Draft a stretch-4 .

C: Drummond
PF: Monroe
SF: KCP
SG: Matthews
PG: Jackson

Bench:

PG/SG: Jennings
PF: 1st rd. pick
SG: Meeks
PF: Tolliver
PG: Dinwiddie
SF: Martin
C: ???
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Re: 2015 Free Agency Options Thread 

Post#2 » by Ghost » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:52 pm

I think Butler will still be on the roster somehow next year, so that will cut into the projected cap. There's nothing really new here though, all the guys you listed, except for LMA (not really an option), have been discussed to death.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#3 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 pm

You're going to need a whole lot more cap space than $15 million to even have the funds to sign Aldridge. He's commanding a max, not a rookie max, a $20+ million max contract.

Ghost summed it up. Nothing new to see here that hasn't been regurgitated a dozen times over.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#4 » by jakebernat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:18 pm

i sure do love me some intangibles.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#5 » by Canadafan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm

So why the heck was everyone so upset with the idea of getting Joe Johnson?
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Canadafan wrote:So why the heck was everyone so upset with the idea of getting Joe Johnson?

If they made the trade, they likely wouldn't have any cap space this summer. Additionally, Joe's well on the wrong side of 30, his best days are WAY behind him. And ultimately, it's not a move that really makes the team a whole lot better.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#7 » by sc8581 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:00 pm

I would be all for Danny Green on the cheap if we basically threw everything else at LMA.
blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

Post#8 » by blueadams » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:02 am

It seems more and more clear to me that Wesley Matthews should be our #1 target. All the RFA's are gonna get max-matched.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#9 » by sfballa13 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:33 am

blueadams wrote:It seems more and more clear to me that Wesley Matthews should be our #1 target. All the RFA's are gonna get max-matched.

Matthews has played SG pretty much exclusively for Portland up until this year when Batum started sucking it up.

Dont think he is really a viable solution at SF for us moving forward

Id rather give a 6-7M (Another disappointing fact is how we are going to spend 7M next year paying Aaron Gray and Josh Smith) per year deal to Carroll that way if we are able to find someone better to fill the starting SF spot we could move Carroll to the bench and he still would be a good value even if he as a bit overpaid for a bench player

The SF market is so bad we would have been far better off trading Jerebko, Meeks, Jennings, Butler for Joe Johnson and Bogdanovich instead of making the Tayshaun Prince trade. We most likely arent going to get anyone better than Johnson, he could fill in at SF next year and then would expire and we could go after whoever is available next summer.

No way Jennings is going to be productive before December / January. What would give us a better shot at winning next year, an injured Jennings + Meeks or Joe Johnson? The answer is Joe Johnson even at his old age.

But seems like the trade for Johnson to Detroit was stupidly turned down by Billy Knight. It would have saved the Nets close to 12-13M with the above proposed trade next year (maybe even more if you factor in luxury taxes).

We resign Jackson, Monroe, Tolliver, Anthony and find cheap vets to cover our deficiencies at back up PG / SF

Jackson / Dinwiddie
KCP / Bogdanovich
Johnson / Martin
Monroe / Tolliver
Drummond / Anthony

That line up makes the playoffs and would be sitting at least at 5-6 seed next year.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by sc8581 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:39 am

Why does everybody keep saying that the free agent market for SFs will be thin? I've never seen so many good players at one position on a free agent list.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#11 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:57 am

Does anyone get the feeling that SVG will surprise us big time? I don't think anyone considered Meeks as a possibility. And this was when he was just trying to figure out our team. And people thought about Reggie Jackson, but most thought it would take our first rounder to make it happen. Now that he has a handle on the team, I think he will have a few surprises up his sleeve.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by sc8581 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 7:41 am

theBigLip wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that SVG will surprise us big time? I don't think anyone considered Meeks as a possibility. And this was when he was just trying to figure out our team. And people thought about Reggie Jackson, but most thought it would take our first rounder to make it happen. Now that he has a handle on the team, I think he will have a few surprises up his sleeve.

I think he's always thinking outside the box, a big reason I like him so much
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#13 » by Canadafan » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:25 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Canadafan wrote:So why the heck was everyone so upset with the idea of getting Joe Johnson?

If they made the trade, they likely wouldn't have any cap space this summer. Additionally, Joe's well on the wrong side of 30, his best days are WAY behind him. And ultimately, it's not a move that really makes the team a whole lot better.

Gonna have to disagree. We become so much better with him than having Tay. So much better.
I hear ya though cause basically we give up our cap space($15mil) in the summer where we might have a chance(small chance) at Draymond or someone else that might materialize.
And if we made that trade and didn't make the playoffs then it would look real bad. So I get it
Let's just hope we can sneak in. As the 8th seed we would still end up with the 15th pick. Should be able to get a good player
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#14 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:29 pm

As much as I'd like to have made a playoff run with JJ, I'd rather be patient and try to get someone like Draymond this summer.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#15 » by The Penguin » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:53 pm

sc8581 wrote:Why does everybody keep saying that the free agent market for SFs will be thin? I've never seen so many good players at one position on a free agent list.

Because they are all restricted free agents who are going to get matched.

The unrestricted SF market is basically Jeff Green, DeMarre Carrol and maybe Luol Deng.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by sc8581 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:26 pm

The Penguin wrote:
sc8581 wrote:Why does everybody keep saying that the free agent market for SFs will be thin? I've never seen so many good players at one position on a free agent list.

The unrestricted SF market is basically Jeff Green, DeMarre Carrol and maybe Luol Deng.

I think Butler and Leonard are the only two guaranteed to get matched, Rudy Gay and Danny Green will also be unrestricted by the way. Most people think of Green as a SG but he's actually played SF more this year and he's better there.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#17 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:35 pm

sc8581 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:

I think Butler and Leonard are the only two guaranteed to get matched, Rudy Gay and Danny Green will also be unrestricted by the way. Most people think of Green as a SG but he's actually played SF more this year and he's better there.

Rudy Gay signed an extension 3-4 months ago. He got a 3 year 40M deal with the last year being a player option.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#18 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:02 pm

theBigLip wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that SVG will surprise us big time? I don't think anyone considered Meeks as a possibility. And this was when he was just trying to figure out our team. And people thought about Reggie Jackson, but most thought it would take our first rounder to make it happen. Now that he has a handle on the team, I think he will have a few surprises up his sleeve.

The only thing surprising about the Meeks signing was how much he was getting paid.

Jackson was a surprise. But, I suppose the asking price for PG's who can't shoot is going down.

I believe SVG and Bower are more active than passive, opposed to Dumars poor recruiting ability. I think they have the potential to make a big splash. But, that doesn't guarantee one. How the season ends, and who departs and stays will be big factors in alluring free agents.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#19 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:04 pm

The Penguin wrote:

Bingo! Butler and Leonard aren't leaving their teams. 100% match guarantee.

Tobias Harris is probably the only one that could potentially be pried away from Orlando, but that would take a max contract and I don't know too many people that would value him at that price.

LeBron James could opt out. I guess we should just settle and sign him for a couple years until we can find an upgrade.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#20 » by mercury » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:11 pm

That's it... let's go after LeBron... thinkin' the MLE oughta get it done.
SF- Lebron
PF- Monroe
C- Drummond
SG- Kobe
PG- Curry

What do ya think?

Return to Detroit Pistons