Greg Monroe
42%

Total votes: 66

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,043

Draymond Green or Greg Monroe? 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Let's assume the Pistons have the resources to only sign one of these guys, and the contract terms are similar. Who would you rather have for the next several seasons?
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Re: Draymond Green or Greg Monroe? 

Post#2 » by sc8581 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Neither for the money they are expected to demand
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#3 » by Warspite » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Why do you have to choose? With our cap space its really a choice between Green and Butler/Prince. I would rather resign Monroe and then trade him after a yr if he doesn't fit. A prime Monroe on a cheap contract by 2018 will be able to fetch an all star wing.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#4 » by DETermination » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:50 pm

If our pg,sg and sf positions could shoot the 3 really well I would go with Monroe but if we keep Jackson imo we need a pf who can shoot so I would go with Green. But If we won the nba lottery I would say neither of them and go with Karl Anthony Towns.
Detroit vs Everybody
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#5 » by Notanoob » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Green murders Monroe when it comes to impact, even though I'm a fan of Monroe and watching him go to work on offense.
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#6 » by bballnmike » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:04 pm

I voted Draymond, but I would be happy with either depending on what types of shooters we have and how the lottery goes.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#7 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

In a vacuum, Monroe is probably the better player. But, for SVG's system and considering Drummond's strengths and weaknesses, Green is the better fit.

I do believe this is all a moot point. I firmly believe GSW matches any offer for Green, and will just jettison Lee out of town and his salary to a team like the 76ers with a future first or some second round picks as incentive.

Also, I believe Monroe is as good as gone once Detroit's season commences. He's a professional, and said all the right things. But, his actions have all pointed to him leaving the Pistons this summer.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#8 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:21 pm

After reading the warriors thread about green and hearing that lamarcus alridge and someone else,are really the only 2 players he has problems with when it comes to guarding them.If you ask me,thats not bad at all,because who can really guard lamarcus anyway.Some will point out that green scores less and rebounds less,but when you are playing with the splash brothers its almost a given you arent going to get the ball as much as you would if he was on our team and vice versa with moose,and when you are that efficent as a team there arent that many rebounds to go around.I bet if he were on our team this season he would be probably score at the very least as much as moose and grab around the same amount of rebounds.Where dray is truly special is he can guard thru the 2-4 and plays great defense,not to mention he has that leader quality about him and is far from soft.

If we could sign dray and middleton,then draft russel from the draft,that would be my ideal dream.But iam also torn because my crazy fan brain wants to go for a wing in the draft and take johnson or winslow.We are actually in a good but crazy place this season,this summer will be a nail bitter for sure.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#9 » by sc8581 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Warspite wrote:Why do you have to choose? With our cap space its really a choice between Green and Butler/Prince. I would rather resign Monroe and then trade him after a yr if he doesn't fit. A prime Monroe on a cheap contract by 2018 will be able to fetch an all star wing.

Highly unlikely
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#10 » by mattao313 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:41 pm

If we're just talkin bout fit and improvement and not price idk we already see what we are with Greg. But with Draymond we would be a lot better on D and teams with elite defense usually make the playoffs he also brings leadership and from the comments Prince had we have none especially after BJ got hurt.

On the down side we lose a lot of scoring and rebounding we would have to find a SF that can rebound and get his own shot. Dre would have to develop more of a offensive game than just his hook shot.
Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Warspite wrote:Why do you have to choose? With our cap space its really a choice between Green and Butler/Prince. I would rather resign Monroe and then trade him after a yr if he doesn't fit. A prime Monroe on a cheap contract by 2018 will be able to fetch an all star wing.

By 2018, either one of Dray's or Monroe's contract will be nothing in comparison to the continued cap spike since cap smoothing is a no go per the Player's union. They'll both be in their primes too, so we can definitely trade em down the line.

I think Monroe would be the safest contract to have within that frame of reasoning since you know what you're getting with Monroe's game, lots of rebounding and scoring which is a favorite of the West. Dray's is more ambiguous since he can really play defense, but can end up almost like Josh Smith 2.0 in a lot of ways since he greatly benefits from being wide open on his jumpshots thanks to the Splash bros. We have nothing like that here.

But this is all conjecture since we're likely not going to get Dray and Monroe will leave since we're back to being terrible again.
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#12 » by Southern Piston » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 pm

I want both, and would overpay both, Monroe will definitly be moveable later. Green is a Saginaw product. If I'm gonna overpay I don't think I mind as much for a home state product. But it's my hometown too so?
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,546

Draymond Green or Greg Monroe? 

Post#13 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:09 pm

The one taller than a guard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#14 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Imagine our defense if we can draft one of Johnson or Winslow and then sign Green, wow. Even if the offense isn't perfect our defense would carry us. He'll the 04 team would sometimes have a hard time scoring 80 points but their D was so elite that it just controlled the tempo of the game.

Jackson
KCP
Winslow
Green
Drummond

The 3 point shooting would suck but we can load the bench up with some snipers to bring in if we go real stagnant. But that's team would be a defensive force.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#15 » by princeofpalace » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Not surprised at these poll results given that the majority of fans on here voted that Josh Smith > Greg Monroe in a poll earlier this season. Here we go again
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,056

Post#16 » by MrBigShot » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 pm

I like Draymond but I wanted him in addition to or if Moose didn't resign, not instead of Moose. For what it's worth I'm starting to like Middleton better than both of them though.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#17 » by JustinSane » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I like Middleton better than both also. Green can't shoot, and that's a big problem. He's a perfect fit in GS, and that's a problem too. He is worth more there than he will be anywhere else. However, I doubt we can get any one of Monroe, Green, or Middleton. Monroe sure seems like he wants to leave and there's nothing to stop him from doing so, and the other two are restricted free agents playing for teams that want to keep them. Max offer sheets will irritate, sure, but they'll swallow hard and match it.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#18 » by mattao313 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Whats the point of bringing up his height if he is a better defender at the 4 than Greg and gets more blocks, while Greg is damn near 7ft and can't even average a block and is a mediocre defender?
Championships
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#19 » by joedumars1 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Draymond didn't look like a max player against us last game. Greg was guarding him.....

I'd be happy with either tho, Draymonds height does bother me tho. He didn't jump out defensively to me against us. I do believe he is going to keep improving tho.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,747

Post#20 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:51 am

I'd be surprised if we're able to secure either.

Return to Detroit Pistons