ImageImageImage

What a crazy season

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

aad
Starter
And1: 460

What a crazy season 

Post#1 » by aad » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 am

We made a few trades during the season and had two long losing streaks and we still have a better record then we did the past five season all I can say is our team is climbing uphill with a few good moves we should be playoff bound next season for sure
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Re: What a crazy season 

Post#2 » by kurtis48239 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 am

Thats what a GOOD COACH does for you,I dont care how many all stars you have,without a talented,legit coach,YOU AINT WINING SHITTT LOL.

Dosent hurt when said coach is also your GM,with the ear of your owner.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#3 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:52 am

kurtis48239 wrote:Thats what a GOOD COACH does for you,I dont care how many all stars you have,without a talented,legit coach,YOU AINT WINING **** LOL.

QFT

SVG had to deal with a lot of roster changes and still managed to improve the record.
Even with reggie and monroe being question marks, this team will improve dramatically after a full offseason with SVG.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#4 » by kurtis48239 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 am

dVs33 wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:Thats what a GOOD COACH does for you,I dont care how many all stars you have,without a talented,legit coach,YOU AINT WINING **** LOL.

QFT

SVG had to deal with a lot of roster changes and still managed to improve the record.
Even with reggie and monroe being question marks, this team will improve dramatically after a full offseason with SVG.

lol.
Stan was the best option for this young group,after brown,we just recycled player coaches,which are fine for established teams with veteran players that need ther ego stroked more than anything.With a young team you need a coach that is good with fundementals and knowlege of the game to teach these young guys how to play.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#5 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:27 pm

kurtis48239 wrote:
dVs33 wrote:

QFT

lol.
Stan was the best option for this young group,after brown,we just recycled player coaches,which are fine for established teams with veteran players that need ther ego stroked more than anything.With a young team you need a coach that is good with fundementals and knowlege of the game to teach these young guys how to play.

Dumars coaching hires were so awful at the end. As much as i don't like to hate on Dumars, he really screwed the team for years.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#6 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:38 pm

We'll be a Top 3 team in the East next year barring injuries. We'll be better than Toronto and might even be better than Chicago. They have a great coach though so you never know with them.

The only thing that annoyed me the most about this season is how we dropped so hard after the Augustin trade. It was such a great trade and my friends/family were talking **** about Jackson but I knew he had a big heart on him. Plays with an aggression that Stars have. Not even the Josh Smith time got me mad. That was meant to be and I think he actually made us better in the long run after losing and working so hard early. The trade shook up the chemistry and it was sad. I wish we didn't go on that losing streak but we did. The first losing streak made us better. The second one just sucked. I don't think the team got anything out of it at all.

With that said, Drummond is going to be a legend/Hall of Famer. Those numbers speak too loud. Great player. His game believe it or not doesn't need all that much more improvement to it. He just needs to keep taking that hook shot and making it consistent. Also defense there's always improvement but I think he's getting better at it. I can only imagine how good he can get. But if this is his ceiling, he's already a great player. I haven't seen someone rebound the ball the way he does. I used to watch Ben Wallace rebound and he eats the ball up. I've yet to see a player that defends the Pick and Roll better than Wallace. But Dre's rebounds, I don't know how he does it. Always has his fingers on the ball and gets it somehow someway. The beginning of the Cha game was a perfect example. Kid jumped 4 times before anyone can jump twice, two easy offensive rebounds and a dunk. That's dominance. That's dominance on any and every level, even the Playoffs. I'd love to see what he can do in the Playoffs. I'm just glad we still have him here. Great player!
Defense wins championships
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#7 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Great season!! This is the most fun season I've watched since Allen Iverson came to the D. I know that season sucked and he destroyed a lot but it was just too cool to see Iverson play for us. I don't blame Iverson but Dumars. He brought the worst coach possible. I think if it was Larry Brown sitting on the bench, it would've been a completely different story. Might've even won a championship hah! But yeah I loved this season and everything about it. I hated the start but I loved Jennings and Jackson and Augustin and Drummond and Tolliver and KCP and Dinwiddie. Lots of cool things happened this season. I loved it!
Defense wins championships
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 pm

^^ I wouldn't say i loved everything about this season, but there were stretches this season where we played the best basketball we've played in many years. There were even fans in the stands :O who would have thunk it??
That run after Smoove was waived was so much fun. jennings was playing out of his mind, Mornoe and Drummond were crazy, SVG was building f***ing walls... it was great.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#9 » by Ghost » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:14 pm

The building **** walls time was the most fun I've had watching the Pistons in such a long time. I love Van Gundy, I think he's a great coach and the perfect coach for us. It looks like Gores made a great decision bringing him in and handing him the keys. We're finally going to have some stability in the franchise and I guarentee we make the playoffs next year (without even seeing how RJ/Monroe/Draft pick turn out).
What a season!
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#10 » by princeofpalace » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm

The games immediately following Smith’s departure were the most entertaining games since our last ECF season. We looked dominant during that stretch- Monroe and Drummond were both dominant on the glass and in the post. Jennings completely controlled the tempo of the games and didn’t turn the ball over at all. We were dominating opposing teams so that during that stretch that all of Monroe/Jennings/Drummond only had to play 30 minutes and under. That win against the Spurs was the best win that we’ve had all year.
We got solid production from Singler/Tolliver/Jerebko. Had Jennings not gone down, I really believe we’d be firmly in the playoffs and could put up at least somewhat of a fight. I also think that we could win 50+ games if we had another season of Jennings/KCP/shooter/Monroe/Drummond.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#11 » by DocRI » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:22 pm

dVs33 wrote:That run after Smoove was waived was so much fun. jennings was playing out of his mind, Mornoe and Drummond were crazy, SVG was building f***ing walls... it was great.

princeofpalace wrote:The games immediately following Smith’s departure were the most entertaining games since our last ECF season. We looked dominant during that stretch- Monroe and Drummond were both dominant on the glass and in the post. Jennings completely controlled the tempo of the games and didn’t turn the ball over at all. We were dominating opposing teams so that during that stretch that all of Monroe/Jennings/Drummond only had to play 30 minutes and under. That win against the Spurs was the best win that we’ve had all year.
We got solid production from Singler/Tolliver/Jerebko. Had Jennings not gone down, I really believe we’d be firmly in the playoffs and could put up at least somewhat of a fight. I also think that we could win 50+ games if we had another season of Jennings/KCP/shooter/Monroe/Drummond.

Look, I agree with all of this, and I'll be the first to say that the post-Smith winning streak, after everything we'd endured as Piston fans, was like finding cold water after wandering the desert for the past few years. And I'm certainly not trying to put words in either of your mouths, so forgive me in advance if it sounds like I am.

That said, it was only a 10 game stretch, and now there's undeniable uncertainty around how Jennings will come back from his injury. Therefore, I just don't see why some posters point to that winning streak as evidence that Jennings > Jackson and should be our PGOTF. I understand looking back upon that winning streak with rose-colored glasses because it was such a breath of fresh air, but there's no guarantee Jennings could have kept up that level of production. Judging Jennings' place on this team based upon the best 10 games of his career, which happened prior to a major leg injury, just seems like selective memory and fool's gold to me.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by dVs33 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:07 pm

DocRI wrote:
dVs33 wrote:That run after Smoove was waived was so much fun. jennings was playing out of his mind, Mornoe and Drummond were crazy, SVG was building f***ing walls... it was great.

princeofpalace wrote:The games immediately following Smith’s departure were the most entertaining games since our last ECF season. We looked dominant during that stretch- Monroe and Drummond were both dominant on the glass and in the post. Jennings completely controlled the tempo of the games and didn’t turn the ball over at all. We were dominating opposing teams so that during that stretch that all of Monroe/Jennings/Drummond only had to play 30 minutes and under. That win against the Spurs was the best win that we’ve had all year.

Look, I agree with all of this, and I'll be the first to say that the post-Smith winning streak, after everything we'd endured as Piston fans, was like finding cold water after wandering the desert for the past few years. And I'm certainly not trying to put words in either of your mouths, so forgive me in advance if it sounds like I am.

That said, it was only a 10 game stretch, and now there's undeniable uncertainty around how Jennings will come back from his injury. Therefore, I just don't see why some posters point to that winning streak as evidence that Jennings > Jackson and should be our PGOTF. I understand looking back upon that winning streak with rose-colored glasses because it was such a breath of fresh air, but there's no guarantee Jennings could have kept up that level of production. Judging Jennings' place on this team based upon the best 10 games of his career, which happened prior to a major leg injury, just seems like selective memory and fool's gold to me.

I was just remembering a fun time, which is few and far between as all pistons fans should know.

I don't think anyone can really say with any certainty that Jennings is/will be better than Jackson based on that time because we've seen so much of Jennings playing sub par basketball, both with us and with Milwaukee, and we haven't seen enough of Jackson and where his ceiling is.

Having said that, each player has clear strengths and weaknesses, so everyone will have their preferences based on the players style.
I wasn't a fan of either guy when they arrived in Detroit. Jennings took some time to find his feet here and showed glimpses of good play but with Smith of the roster he really came into his own and looked far more mature than he ever had before. He definitely changed my opinion of him.
Jackson Is still getting acclimatised here, but he's definitely shown that he can develop into a great player.

Personally I'm more interested in how SVG manages both guys next year. Jennings will have to be brought back slowly and it would be silly to trade him while his value is so low, so we could get an extended look at the team with both guys on the roster.
I really have no idea how it'll work out, but I'm excited to see.
Navas
Pro Prospect
And1: 224

What a crazy season 

Post#13 » by Navas » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:17 am

After going to games of what have been utter garbage in the last 5-6 years, and was at a point where I considered canceling my tickets, this was a better season.

The waiving of Josh Smith could not come any sooner. That was a turning point, along with the Tolliver trade. Jackson started out iffy but he's been great in the last few games.

I would've liked to have seen less of John Lucas, he looked like a little kid who won a contest out there. Dinwiddie was ok as a PG and he's a nice backup option, I think.

What we have now, is consistency. We have the same coach next year, we have a solid core, and if Jennings had not gotten hurt, a playoff spot.

Right now, biggest hope is keeping Monroe.

Return to Detroit Pistons